SVC 2014 : Game of Thrones Edition

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Re: SVC 2014 : Game of Thrones Edition

Post by warningtrackpower »

Congrats to Unioto!

Here is my take on the website of this title run over the past four years...

http://www.svcsportszone.com/2014unioto ... lteam.html

iknow
Freshman Team

Post by iknow »

Wonder why the yearly stats reported on SVCSPORTSZONE.COM don't add up to the record-setting stats being reported this year? Are the previous years stats not complete or am I just bad at math?

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Our volleyball coaches are probably the best at sending stats. Throughout the year, the stats are usually good; however, there have been some situations in many sports where we do not get the "final" update after postseason.

If you have a certain stat you are wondering about you can email the website at admin1@svcsportszone.com and I will try to look for the correct numbers. Thanks for checking out SVCsportszone.com

iknow
Freshman Team

Post by iknow »

SVCSPORSTZONE.com has only mentioned a few career records in the game stats; those would be the ones I am talking about. Can't wait to see the coaches and SVCSPORTSZONE.com all league teams. Probably the same old "everyone deserves kid on the team" even though they couldn't make the top three teams' JV squad. Sorry if I offend anyone, but the best players should be recognized as such. Hopefully, this will be the year that this happens. Good luck to all SVC teams in the tournament and I expect 3 teams to be in the regionals!

RonVonHagen
Riding the Bench

Post by RonVonHagen »

All SVC team will be coming out soon, here's my picks. ...

Unioto: Overly, Overly, Neff, and Stienbrook
Adena: Hutton, Hutton, and Dawson
Westfall: Curry, Phillips, and Wallace
Huntington: Lytle, Magill, and Gragg
SE: Desbach and Goebel
ZT: Chaffin

POY: tough choice between Curry and Lexi Overly. But I will go with Overly since the U captured the title!

It's tournament time, good luck to all the teams and bring home some hardware!!

iknow
Freshman Team

Post by iknow »

You left off the two best Libero's in the league just to include players from teams that couldn't compete. Also, three all league players from a team that couldn't beat the big three or have any signature wins? I wouldn't pick based on who these girls play for come club season. I agree with Overly as POY!

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

The X will not participate in selecting an all league team.
Too many good ones to choose from, too many good ones left standing.
In reality if one was going to select a team to go and play, the majority of the players selected would come from Unioto, Adena, and Westfall. Honestly in my head I can only think of two girls from outside of those three schools that could crack the roster. And they will stay unnamed, but they are chosen based on what The X likes in a volleyball player, not what the stat sheet says. (Both are listed on Von Hagens team)
Nor will I select a POY or COY, too many good ones left standing after selections are made.

But I will select the X play of the year in the SVC:
Unioto's Anna Karr Solo block of the leagues most powerful hitter Amanda Curry.
It came at a close point in the 1st set of the match at Westfall, Westfall had control of the ball and the set was perfect for a monster kill. It was just one of those plays that could've went either way. The block went the way of the U and so did the momentum for the rest of the 1st set and the entire second set. Like a good team does Westfall battled back in sets 3&4 but eventually the Sherman's came out on top on their way to the Conference title and Von Hagens mythical SVC Iron Throne:

Didn't Ron Von predict Karr as an SVC "X-Factor" before the season started?

There may just be something to this Ron Von Nostradamus thing......

Warningtrack:
Results from the 8th grade volleyball tournament held in Frenchtowne tonight.
In the consolation game Unioto over Huntington in two
25-15, 25-15
Unioto was down two starters because of injury.

Adena wins championship in 2 over Southeastern
26-24, 25-21
Southeastern only has 6 players.
I look for possibly 5 players from this match to be playing at the varsity level next year, with a couple more that could but they are only 7th graders.

It's tournament time,
Time to focus on what really matters
The W
X
Last edited by Xtoxxviii on Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

The SVC 0-1 in tournament action
New Boston over Paint Valley
25-13, 25-19, 25-18

RonVonHagen
Riding the Bench

Post by RonVonHagen »

iknow wrote:You left off the two best Libero's in the league just to include players from teams that couldn't compete. Also, three all league players from a team that couldn't beat the big three or have any signature wins? I wouldn't pick based on who these girls play for come club season. I agree with Overly as POY!
True... It's more of a prediction of how I think it will come out. Adena and Unioto should each have 5 kids on the list but I know that won't be happening because the coaches will only put up so many players for consideration. I'm in the prediction business not the actual picking business hence the Nostradamus moniker, btw have I mentioned that we will be having brutal winter???

warningtrackpower
All Conference

While we wait on the official list later this week, I have posted my annual SVCsportszone.com's All-SVC volleyball team...20:30-34:12 is discussion on the formation of the teams including Jenna Hutton's injury situation, then the teams are released from 34:12-59:15...

Here is the link - just click, hit play arrow, and FF to your favorite part

http://www.dbkmediaservices.com/wordpre ... talk101314

BudLytle
Riding the Bench

Post by BudLytle »

iknow wrote:You left off the two best Libero's in the league just to include players from teams that couldn't compete. Also, three all league players from a team that couldn't beat the big three or have any signature wins? I wouldn't pick based on who these girls play for come club season. I agree with Overly as POY!
Sorry, but i will have to respectfully disagree about the libro's. I think the best libero in the league is on the list. The other 2 are deserving of being the list without a doubt, but deserving to be on the list does not mean they are the best liberos in the league. Also, there is not a team in this league that Chaffin, Lytle, Gragg, Magill, Dresbach and Goeble doesn't help be a MUCH BETTER team! Again sorry, just my humble opinion.

iknow
Freshman Team

Post by iknow »

Past performance should not be in play when picking these teams. That is the last I will say about the Libero position. As far as the listed players making any team in the league MUCH BETTER, that is quite a statement. I would have hoped that they would have made THEIR OWN TEAM much better. JMHO.

iknow
Freshman Team

Post by iknow »

Ron, are you suggesting that the coaches for the top three teams do not put up all deserving players in an effort to make sure they get 2-3 on the all-league team. If true, the coaches are doing a great dis-service to those kids. Great players should not be penalized for being on great teams! But we are in "Obama World" where we need to take from the rich to give to the poor.

iknow
Freshman Team

Post by iknow »

SVCSPORTSZONE.COM...struggling with the statement that fans from "the big three" should not judge players from the other teams solely on their play against your team. Isn't that what players should be judged against...the best? Maybe I didn't understand your angle. I was a great practice player in high school when facing the reserves, but when it came to games, I just couldn't get it done! :122245 Thanks for the coverage of our great league.

BudLytle
Riding the Bench

Post by BudLytle »

And my last statement about liberos in this league will be this... statistically Lytle is still leading the league, from what games I saw of her, she still made plays NO OTHER LIBERO COULD MAKE, and she still served with the top players in the league! As for your other statements, this is an all league team, which is suppose to represent the best PLAYERS in our league... not ensuring that the top 3 in our league get adequate representation. Last check, volleyball is a team sport and there is no argument who the best teams were, but does that make each of their players, regardless of role, better than any other player on any other team that wasn't in the top three?

iknow
Freshman Team

Post by iknow »

Better players make better teams. I can see one elite player on a bad team, but when you and others tell me Huntington has 3 elite players, it makes me wonder why they cant beat the top three. Maybe they don't have 3 elite players? As far as stats go, there are a few posts here that explain the stat phenomenon.

BudLytle
Riding the Bench

Post by BudLytle »

The only posts I see regarding any mention of stats are the posts you made and a response by warningtrackpower... What few posts are you referring to? With that, I will totally agree that better players make better teams, but the reverse is also VERY TRUE, as I am sure you are well aware, meaning that a few great players on a team sure does take some pressure (i.e. blocks, responsibilities/assignments, etc.) from some other players making it a little easier on them. The top 3 teams are very deep in talent, no doubt, and I do believe you could have cut 1 from Huntington and 1 from Southeastern and given more spots to the top teams, but I also believe the argument could be made that RVH's list does have the best players in our league represented! That is the only argument I am making and this will be my final post on this topic!

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

"its about the game"
YOUR WRONG
"It's all about the Bass"
C'mon man don't you listen to the radio or pre game warm-ups?

Congratulations to all who made the all league list,
A lot of good players got left standing that deserved more,
Keep your heads up, your not the first nor will you be the last.
It's the same every year that's why I've grown
Not to put much stock in such selections.
You could say it's a political thing, and to a large extent it is
But it is also a numbers thing along with a faulty system that does not
Get all the players their just do's

As for the SVCsportszone
You guys know I think your the best
BUT
With Huntington again being extremely well represented on yours and the SVC all league team.
"Is it about time" to start holding that group under the same subjective microscope you have held
This years Unioto group under?
Over the past few years they always have as many first teamers as the league leaders
yet they have been a mid pack SVC team.
According to the SVCsportszone and SVC coaches
Shouldn't their league record start representing the talent they have?

Back to the real world of SVC volleyball.........
Piketon beat Peebles in 3
25-20, 25-16, 25-14
Peebles McFarland is very good

The SVC is now 1-1 in the tournament.

No Treble
X

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Post by boo33vb »

This might sting a little so hold on. This is just my opinion as a former coach who sat in these meetings and fought for kids from my team and for others teams. Each league is different in number of selections and possibly the manner in selection. The SVC should revamp the volleyball all-league selection. Look at this with an open mind. You have 8 teams. Six players on the floor = 48 players. The SVC gives an award to 32 players as either all-league or honorable mention. That leaves 16 players with no award. Jeez why not just make a near-honorable mention to include the other 16. Revamp and have a 1st team with 6 and a libero, a 2nd team with 6 and a libero and 6 honorable mention players for a total of 20 awards. The current system waters down the whole thing. The top two or three teams deserve to have the most on the list because they EARNED it. If i have a kid who only plays 3 rotations ( example a middle hitter who comes out in back row ) i should not put her up on the board as my first selection even if she dominated the net. That kid who played all-around and contributed from all skill sets deserves the recognition as your 1st pick. A team that finishes last and has no wins probably has nobody that should be on the list. Just my humble opinion. The awards don't mean much in the long run anyway. I think all kids would rather go to districts or regionals or state in place of an award. Much better memory.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

^
^
^
^
Very wise words Boo and the X agrees .
The X is Anxiously Waiting for your next SVC History Lesson.

The SVC moves to 2-2 in tournament action.
The U over Jackson in 3
12-10-21

Athens over ZT in 4
25-11, 25-27, 25-13' 25-4
Would like to hear a report on that game.
Seems the scores were all over the place.
Did Trace get hot the second set or was it a let down on Athens part?
What happened in the 4th set, only 4pts for Trace?

Return to “Volleyball”