2013 All SOC and POY

socvwatcher#1
Freshman Team

2013 All SOC and POY

Post by socvwatcher#1 »

When are first team and second team announced? And POY?

favabeans
Varsity

Re: 2013 All SOC and POY

Post by favabeans »

Probably won't be announced until most teams are out of the tournament.

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Post by boo33vb »

Congrats to all who made it. I still think they should have a 1st team of 6 a 2nd team of 6 and 6 HM. Watering down the credit to the best players with so many to look at discredits the league IMO. Also with no disrespect to the Huntington kid because she is legit, but 55 digs in one match is a big stretch. A dig is a pass off of an attack. Free ball passes, the second touch after a block is not a dig and of course serve recieve is not a dig. This match had to be a 5 setter with the first 4 going into the 30-28 range and the 5th into the 20-18 range and nobody else passed in back row. i guess it could happen. Ok let me have it! Just my opinion and i am allowed to express it in this great country of ours.

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Post by boo33vb »

Oops, my previous post was meant for the SVC not SOC. Too many S and C's.. SVC, SCOL, SEOAL, SOC, TVC. Sorry i will pay closer attention from now on!

DadPaul08
Riding the Bench

Post by DadPaul08 »

A dig is a pass off of an attack. Free ball passes, the second touch after a block is not a dig and of course serve recieve is not a dig.

This is not completely correct. An attacked ball that comes off a block IS a statistical dig for the player playing the ball off the block. The block you are referring to is what is called a "push-back", which is a blocked-in-play ball, that gets immediately "pushed back" onto the other side of the net. The "push-back" is what is not considered a "dig".

socvwatcher#1
Freshman Team

Post by socvwatcher#1 »

They should be posting the SOC awards soon. There should be no dispute on SOCII. Waverly won all matches in three except for the last game with Wheelersburg. Bri Wiget should be Player of the Year. Wiget is an elite player who can play both offensively and defensively. Wiget, Martin and Riffe should get first team. Burton should get second team.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

Does Burton return next year? I agree with all your predictions for Waverly.

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Post by boo33vb »

Went to the Waverly vs Unioto match yesterday. I remember the Riffe girl from last year ( Chilli ) and she is even better. She defines the position of libero if you were a novice to volleyball and wanted to learn what this position is all about. I get that alot from people. She has the foot speed, ability to read the opponents hitters, but most importantly the attitude that i am going to pass every ball. She kept so many plays alive by her aggressive play and it was fun to watch her. Many times passing is overlooked by thunderous kills but this kid had my focus the whole match. If your league has a defensive POY i don't see how anybody else could beat her out. Great season for the Waverly team and congrats!

socvwatcher#1
Freshman Team

Post by socvwatcher#1 »

Black Panther, the Burton girl is a junior, so she will be back next year. Boo33vb, I don't think the SOC has a defensive POY, but I agree Riffe is very good.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

I agree Riffe is an outstanding talent,
Waverly would be right up top in the SVC.
Shame this was a sectional matchup,
the caliber of play was more of a
district final or regional semi final game.
This was the 9th match Unioto had this season
vs a team ranked in the State Polls.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Riffe is just amazing. She exhibits the same talent of the softball ball field. Wiget should get POY. Hannah should get first team. Boy are these girls going to be missed!

It is a shame this was just a sectional game. As stated above this is the quality of play you would expect in a district or even regional game. Good luck to Unioto the rest of the way :)

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Post by warningtrackpower »

We enjoyed calling the play-by-play of Waverly and Unioto Saturday. Waverly is very talented. Wiget is as good of all-around talent as I have seen this year, and Riffe is outstanding. D-II in the SE is tough considering we only get two to district and one to regional.

Waverly fans, parents, players - if you did not know about our call of the game, you can still listen to it at ...
http://www.dbkmediaservices.com/wordpre ... talk101913

To save a lot of time, we have given a "time break down" on the website at http://www.svcsportszone.com to allow fans to FF through parts they do not want to listen to on the podcast.

socvwatcher#1
Freshman Team

Post by socvwatcher#1 »

Why is the SOC list not out but the District list is on the Portsmouth Daily Times? A little birdy told me today that the Waverly players once again got the short end of the deal especially on the SOCII. There should be no questions on the awards. They are 14-0 in the conference and 22-2 overall and only lost one set in the conference to Wheelersburg. They were state ranked and did beat some very good teams. South Webster was 10-4 in conference and 14-9 overall. Wheelersburg was 9-4 in conference and 11-8 overall. Player of the year should be Wiget with first team goig to Wiget, Martin and Riffe. Hope what I'm hearing is incorrect.

WhatsTheWord
Waterboy

Post by WhatsTheWord »

Correction: Wheelersburg and Webster tied for second with 11-4 record in conference.

socvwatcher#1
Freshman Team

Post by socvwatcher#1 »

Thanks for the correction. I got it off OHSAA website. It must be updated now.

socvwatcher#1
Freshman Team

Post by socvwatcher#1 »

Wiget should be POY in SOC DII easy. She should also be POY in district. There are not many that show all round talent (hitting, covering, digging, serve receiving, blocking, and serving). Based on the few times I saw her play, she seems to have good knowledge of the game, leadership and attitude. Sometimes we over look the attitude part. I think there are some players that have as good or better individual position play but not all round. Riffe (defense), White, Carle, Martin, and Bath (offense) are all talented in their position but they do not have the overall talent.
Last edited by socvwatcher#1 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HHSSoftball
Riding the Bench

Post by HHSSoftball »

I would agree the Wiget is a great player... But to say Carle is only great on offense is a SERIOUS UNDERSTATEMENT!!!! Carle plays all the way around, doing it all for the Pioneers... Late in the season ZT lost one of their setters to an injury and Carle took over setting duties heading into tournament play. Wiget does have a great attitude as well, but if you have seen Carle play, you would say that she has a great attitude as well and plays with a lot of emotion and passion. Carle is definitely deserving of the District XIV Div II POY honor she received this season!

socvwatcher#1
Freshman Team

Post by socvwatcher#1 »

HHSSoftball wrote:I would agree the Wiget is a great player... But to say Carle is only great on offense is a SERIOUS UNDERSTATEMENT!!!! Carle plays all the way around, doing it all for the Pioneers... Late in the season ZT lost one of their setters to an injury and Carle took over setting duties heading into tournament play. Wiget does have a great attitude as well, but if you have seen Carle play, you would say that she has a great attitude as well and plays with a lot of emotion and passion. Carle is definitely deserving of the District XIV Div II POY honor she received this season!
I agree Carle is a very good player, but the statement in red above can not be correct. I did not witness Wiget or Carle doing everything for their teams. There are many good players on the Tiger's team as I am sure there is on the Pioneers. The question that should have been answered when selecting the POY is who displays the best OVERALL volleyball talent. I just think Wiget edges Carle.

HHSSoftball
Riding the Bench

Post by HHSSoftball »

Was not referring to her doing EVERYTHING for her team! Saying that she is able to assist her team in all aspects of the game! Guess we just agree that both are great players and very fun to watch, but disagree on who should have won POY... I just think Carle edges out Wiget! But very nice to have civil conversation about great players... Is a compliment to both that we are even engaging in this discussion.

socvwatcher#1
Freshman Team

Post by socvwatcher#1 »

Agreed. I hope they play college. I would like to see them play more.

Return to “Volleyball”