danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: tournament draw

Post by danicalifornia »

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

What did they do, draw straws or out of the hat, seen several schools with better records get lower seeds, very confusing. This also happened with the soccer pairings as well.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

Waverly gets screwed again.
Last edited by Black Panther on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Post by boo33vb »

This draw is once again laughable. The SE district MUST move into the new age and drop this outdated seeding system. Go to 1 bracket for all 19 teams. Seed online prior to the meeting, do your homework as a coach and give points accordingly to each team, get your printout, take it to the seed mtg and choose what you have earned. I mean no disrespect but as the great Cris Carter says " C'mon man " Jackson a 6, Miami Trace a 3 .....really. New Lex? Fairfield Union a 4 with a 8-11 record. Yes Waverly got screwed by having 2 sides to this bracket. Well the bullcrap is done so its time to WO-MAN up and put your best game on the floor for each team. If you are not peaking now in this 1st week of October then you will be sitting at home soon wishing. Good skill to all and Go Ross County teams.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The coaches know who has the tough schedules and the better wins. Just a horrible system that's in place.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Ironman92 wrote:The coaches know who has the tough schedules and the better wins. Just a horrible system that's in place.

Agreed Ironman!! No hard feelings I hope from my post, but I thought Warren should have been ahead of Jackson. With that said, I will still be rooting for upsets by us and Jackson for another rematch.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

Waverly had only one loss at Athens(number 1 seed).And I believe it went five sets.And in ALL of Waverly's wins they've been in straight set sweeps.With most not being close.Why should Waverly be penalized because the SOC supposedly is a little down? Do they ever penalize the Oak Hill girls basketball team for running rough shot through the SOC? No,they always get what they deserve a 1 or at the very least a two seed.Waverly should been no lower than a two.
Last edited by Black Panther on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

This format just flat out allows (almost forces) coaches to unite together if they feel it can benefit their team.

I've never walked out of one of those seeding meetings without shaking my head....I did it again today at the XC meetings and we didn't ever seed teams....just a pre-seeding meeting.

Regardless, Warren and Jackson will still have their work greatly cut out for them.....Warren having to beat Unioto instead of Waverly and Jackson having to beat Waverly instead of Athens.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

warrior90 wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:The coaches know who has the tough schedules and the better wins. Just a horrible system that's in place.

Agreed Ironman!! No hard feelings I hope from my post, but I thought Warren should have been ahead of Jackson. With that said, I will still be rooting for upsets by us and Jackson for another rematch.
No hard feelings at all. I haven't a dog in the fight this year but do like the Jackson girls and Coach Martin. My post wasn't directed at any one coach or even volleyball....but across the sports and across the board the extreme vast majority know exactly what they are doing at the seeding's meeting

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

It's interesting girls soccer is conducted as a super sectional format, with teams seeded 1-14. If girls soccer can do it, why not the other sports?

I do agree the north sectional is weaker than the south in volleyball. It's also a little absurd having LE and ZT in separate sectionals when they are neighboring districts. That could have at least balanced it a little better under the current system.

Esully63
Freshman Team

Post by Esully63 »

Does anyone have Notre Dames record and game scores? My daughter and wife said they look pretty good in preseason but I can find little on their season. Based on their schedule alone I don't understand the #1 seed they have but like I said all I can look at is the schedule.

jumparound
Freshman Team

Post by jumparound »

Esully... Notre Dame only has 3 losses, they don't play a tough schedule and they are in a super weak sectional. The teams that were in their sectional were- Clay, Fairfield (Leesburg), Glenwood, Manchester, North Adams, Notre Dame, Paint Valley, Sciotoville Community, South Webster, Western, Whiteoak. (11)

I necessarily don't think they are the best in the sectional, but you know coaches are not going to give a team with 6 more losses the 1 seed over a team with 3 losses around here.

Esully63
Freshman Team

Post by Esully63 »

jumparound wrote:Esully... Notre Dame only has 3 losses, they don't play a tough schedule and they are in a super weak sectional. The teams that were in their sectional were- Clay, Fairfield (Leesburg), Glenwood, Manchester, North Adams, Notre Dame, Paint Valley, Sciotoville Community, South Webster, Western, Whiteoak. (11)

I necessarily don't think they are the best in the sectional, but you know coaches are not going to give a team with 6 more losses the 1 seed over a team with 3 losses around here.

There is one team in their sectional that plays a very tough schedule. They have wins in the last half of the season against Wheelersburg a div III #1 seed, Alexander a div III #2 seed, Minford a div. III #2 seed and a very close split decision with Nelsonville York a div III #1 seed. So I was just curious about NDs record as they don't report to the coaches site and their school site only has results for the first five games and even then it's only wins loses, no scores.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Esully63 wrote:
jumparound wrote:Esully... Notre Dame only has 3 losses, they don't play a tough schedule and they are in a super weak sectional. The teams that were in their sectional were- Clay, Fairfield (Leesburg), Glenwood, Manchester, North Adams, Notre Dame, Paint Valley, Sciotoville Community, South Webster, Western, Whiteoak. (11)

There is one team in their sectional that plays a very tough schedule. They have wins in the last half of the season against Wheelersburg a div III #1 seed, Alexander a div III #2 seed, Minford a div. III #2 seed and a very close split decision with Nelsonville York a div III #1 seed. So I was just curious about NDs record as they don't report to the coaches site and their school site only has results for the first five games and even then it's only wins loses, no scores.
While it's ridiculous that SW is not the #1 seed....is there any chance on the planet they don't breeze thru to the districts? Is Waterford/Eastern Meigs much different (I have not followed much like in the past)....the #1 is clearly much better it's a bigger issue at the district level.

Doesn't matter the sport.....SW is going to get shafted compared to the small SOC best team.

Esully63
Freshman Team

Post by Esully63 »

Ironman, I'm not upset how your team is playing is more important than your seed. I'm just curious about ND no score no win loss records, kinda makes you wonder. As far as Waterford and Reedsville go I have not followed them this year but they always seem to be solid.

jumparound
Freshman Team

Post by jumparound »

http://portsmouth-dailytimes.com/apps/p ... 968&Ref=AR
This is a link about Notre Dame's talent. Doesn't give results on all games but gives 2/3 losses. For some reason I am thinking their 3rd loss is Piketon??? I could be totally wrong but I thought I saw it somewhere?! Webster will run into Waterford I believe in District Semis so I don't know how breezy it will be for Waterford. I haven't seen either team this year

Esully63
Freshman Team

Post by Esully63 »

jumparound wrote:http://portsmouth-dailytimes.com/apps/p ... 968&Ref=AR
This is a link about Notre Dame's talent. Doesn't give results on all games but gives 2/3 losses. For some reason I am thinking their 3rd loss is Piketon??? I could be totally wrong but I thought I saw it somewhere?! Webster will run into Waterford I believe in District Semis so I don't know how breezy it will be for Waterford. I haven't seen either team this year
Thanks for the info, interesting article.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Piketon gets the 7 seed in DIII west with a record of 8-11 (4-9 SVC), with wins over PV 2, Southeastern 1 and Huntington 1. Non league wins against Northwest, Peebles, Notre Dame and Minford, losses to North Adams and Waverly with 1 more game to go with Peebles at home.

The top 4 of the west are 1 Westfall, 2 Adena, 3 Peebles and 4 Huntington. Piketon with quality non league wins and playing in the toughest volleyball league in dIII gets to play the 2 seed Adena if they win their first round game. Northwest and Eastern Brown gets the 5 and 6 seeds and have a chance against Peebles and Hungtington. Piketon punished for playing in a tough league, while going 4-2 non league and every team they played received a higher seed than them in this tourney, DII to DIV!

Esully63
Freshman Team

Post by Esully63 »

eagles73 wrote:Piketon gets the 7 seed in DIII west with a record of 8-11 (4-9 SVC), with wins over PV 2, Southeastern 1 and Huntington 1. Non league wins against Northwest, Peebles, Notre Dame and Minford, losses to North Adams and Waverly with 1 more game to go with Peebles at home.

The top 4 of the west are 1 Westfall, 2 Adena, 3 Peebles and 4 Huntington. Piketon with quality non league wins and playing in the toughest volleyball league in dIII gets to play the 2 seed Adena if they win their first round game. Northwest and Eastern Brown gets the 5 and 6 seeds and have a chance against Peebles and Hungtington. Piketon punished for playing in a tough league, while going 4-2 non league and every team they played received a higher seed than them in this tourney, DII to DIV!
All new season now. Tell them girls to make it happen!

Troy
Freshman Team

Post by Troy »

I'd like to see Piketon's record if the were in the SHL. They might lose to Fayetteville.

Paint Valley is what in the SVC? Last? Next to last. Whiteoak won seven matches in a row mostly against SHL teams. Paint Valley defeated Whiteoak in 3 sets handily.

Return to “Volleyball”