SEOAL Volleyball 2013

warrior90
Varsity

SEOAL Volleyball 2013

Post by warrior90 »

What are the thoughts out there on the SEOAL? Hated to see Chillicothe leave, but I think there will be some good competition. Warren will have a few returning starters, but we lost a couple power hitters. Should be strong defensively. I think we can stay with every team in the league. I think Gallia will be strong and maybe the team to beat this year. Westfall girl can really play, but how are they defensively? Jackson should have several back from last years team and they are always well coached. Logan lost a lot of senior leadership from last year, but seem to always rebound with a competitive team. Portsmouth has struggled in years past, but I saw great improvement last year, can they take a step forward? Thoughts??

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Re: SEOAL Volleyball 2013

Post by boo33vb »

Warrior 90, thanks for the Chilli comment and we will miss the league. We built some good rivalries in volleyball and now have to start over in a new league. Just thinking of girls coming back i like Gallia to take the lead in the league as they lost a couple good seniors but have a solid base to build around in the Westfall kid. Logan did graduate alot but i think Coach Brooks is and has been building a good program. They finally have consistency and her jv and freshman teams were competitive last year. i think Jackson returns several and should compete well. Did Warren get a new coach? Warren has a culture of competitiveness that has been built over many coaches in many sports so they will always bring it every night! Portsmouth has improved the last two seasons with Coach Sarah and if she stays they will need to get a quality win so the girls believe and get that feeling in their belly. Its a tossup and after first round somebody will surface as the leader. I loved Jacksons facilty the most, intimate, fans close to the court has a college feel with the seating, bench, etc. and has a "jumpers floor" or alot of spring in the floor. Logan is also a great facility with that high ceiling you could shank a pass and still run it down and make a play. I always felt Portsmouth was nice but lighting was dim. Gallia a good gym too but close off the sunlight coming from that one end at 5 to 6 pm. Kids cant see serves coming at them on a bright sunny day. Warren was a hotbox and tuff place to play but gives them a good homecourt advantage that all coaches wish for. Good luck to all and play well.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jackson returns most of their rotation players from last year but did lose their best all -around player, libero and an excellent defensive front row player.

1st team all-district
2nd team all-district
HM all-district

So while they return most....they also lost a lot

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Logan beat Morgan and Zanesville over the past weekend

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

What kind of a start is Warren off too? I know they have been strong in the past few years.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Well...... one game on the books so far and Athens pretty much had their way with us, beating us handily in 3 sets. We have Marietta, Gallia, and the Athens invitational this week. Tough schedule to start with!!

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Thanks, I know from watching Warren over the years they will be there at the end.

TIGER123
Waterboy

Post by TIGER123 »

Good luck to Warren at the Athens invitational this weekend. This tourney is always fun to watch! What was Athens like when the Warriors played them?

cobweb
JV Team

Post by cobweb »

EaBuFa_16 wrote:...This tourney is always fun to watch!..
Especially fun to watch since it is owned by the Eastern Eagles. Go Eagles, make it 5 in a row. (hmm, wonder if this'll stir it up a little, way too quiet on SEOP - Volleyball)

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

EaBuFa_16 wrote:Good luck to Warren at the Athens invitational this weekend. This tourney is always fun to watch! What was Athens like when the Warriors played them?

Athens is well disciplined all the way around. Very good team work on all rotations. Al ot of short serves that were pinpoint accurate.

Warren wins in 3 versus Marietta. Looked like a completely different team than what played Athens. Great win lady warriors.

Congrats to Michele Tyo on her first Varsity coaching win!!!

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Post by boo33vb »

Wow, maybe i better look closer at my picks. Warren beats Marietta and Gallia loses to Marietta. Logan gets a whippin at Lancaster. HHmmm and Jackson is 3-0 vs cupcakes so its too early to tell.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

boo33vb wrote:Wow, maybe i better look closer at my picks. Warren beats Marietta and Gallia loses to Marietta. Logan gets a whippin at Lancaster. HHmmm and Jackson is 3-0 vs cupcakes so its too early to tell.
Well for Warren, I would say we will compete with all teams in the SEOAL. I would say Warren, Logan, Gallia, and Jackson are going to be very competitive against each other, I think you can pick any of the four and you might be right. Warren vs. Gallia Thursday night at the sweat box known as the Warriordome!! Go Lady Warriors!!

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Warren gets by Gallia in a 5 set marathon. Gallia wins sets 1 and 3, Warren takes 2 and 4. Warren jumps out to a 10-4 lead and Gallia fights back to take the lead and was ahead 15-14. Warren takes it in the end 20-18. Seniors Foy and Murduch lead the way with 22 kills and 24 digs respectively. Junior Knowlton had 38 assists. The Westfall girl was equally amazing as she had to have had 20+ kills and she has to be the hardest hitter in the valley. Setter for Gallia had 30+ assists as well. Great game to both teams!!

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

With Logan getting by Jackson last night, I think this could be one of the closest contests for a league title in several years. 4 of the 5 teams have a legitimate shot at winning the conference. Still think that Gallia has the overall talent to win out, but Warren, Logan and Jackson are all fairly equal as well. Of course I will be pulling for my Warriors to win out but that will be a very very tall task. I could realistically see a 4 way tie for first.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Big week in SEOAL volleyball. Current standings are as follows:

Warren 3-0
Gallia 2-1
Logan 2-1
Jackson 1-2
Portsmouth 0-4

- Warren is at Logan Monday and at Gallia on Thursday. Winning on the road will be the key to a league championship for Warren as three of the next four will be on the road.
- Gallia is at Jackson and home vs. Warren. If Gallia can win these two games, they are in the drivers seat as all the rest of their league games are at home. And they are tough at home!!
- Logan has Warren at home and a win here keeps them in the running for the title. Logan will still have to win at Warren and Gallia though.
- Jackson has Gallia and Portsmouth at home. Two wins here puts Jackson back in the hunt even with two losses. A loss this week probably puts them as a long shot for the title at best.
- Portsmouth is still improving. No shot this year for the title, but a win is not that far off.

Post any scores this week if you can.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

09/17/13

Gallipolis..........3.....1
Logan..............3.....1
Warren............3.....1
Jackson............1.....3
Portsmouth.......0.....4

Logan.....3 Warren 2.....25/22.....18/25.....19/25.....25/22.....15/10
Gallipolis.....3 Jackson 0.....26/24.....25/18.....25/23

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Post by boo33vb »

Warrior, looks like a logjam between Logan, Gallia and Warren. Should make for some very competitive matches in the 2nd half of the season. Jackson gave Gallia all they could but just could not finish according to scores posted. Who is playing where on Thursday?

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Thursday Lineup:

Warren @ Gallia. Game will go a long way in determining the league champion. Winner of this one controls their own destiny as both play Logan at home in the next three weeks.

Portsmouth @ Jackson

Logan off in the League until next Thursday when they travel to Gallia.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Gallia takes control of its own destiny as it beats Warren in 4 sets. Warren just could not stop the outside hitting from Gallia and gave Gallia way too many free balls that Gallia capitalized on. Gallia now has Jackson and Logan at home and that spells trouble for them.

On a side note: This was the first set of refs that really let the girls play. In 4 sets, no 2 balls called on sets, maybe 2 carries called for both teams, and no nets called until Warren captain said something about it then there were 5 or 6 called the last three sets. Not the way we were used to playing but made for fast sets. Makes it easy to pound the ball down if you know you can hit the net on follow thru or cross the line with no penalty. I understand why Gallia struggled with those calls at Warren if they were not use to them being called. It was pretty even for both teams though just not what we are used to.

cobweb
JV Team

Post by cobweb »

Warrior90, thanks for being one of the remaining few posters on SEOPreps Volleyball. I am the dad of no high school VB players, but check here daily in an attempt to read up on what's happeneing in that world. Like, Eastern Reedsville losing to Waterford last night in 5, there was a day that would at least make the threads, not anymore. I enjoy reading how the Warriors are doing through your view.

I couldn't tell how you sided with Refs allowing the match to run with little regard to some of the rules. My experience is that type of Ref is damaging to the young athletes that are still learning the game. For every match when the rules are bent, there will be a subsequent one when they are not. My personal preference is to have the Refs no the rules and enforce them. The teams that make it beyond sectionals in the tournement, usually, find the rules being followed. The further you go the more this is the case. If the play is allowed to be sloppy now it will come back to haunt those kids.

Just thinking, I enjoyed your post.

Return to “Volleyball”