SVC 2013: Let's get this party started...

RonVonHagen
Riding the Bench

SVC 2013: Let's get this party started...

Post by RonVonHagen »

With club season long gone and summer open gyms in the review mirror it’s time for the Scioto Valley Conference to get serious. As players are establishing their position in practice and scrimmages and as coaches figure out their “best” rotations along with looking for the right chemistry on the court, it’s time to hear your thoughts on what you see happening in one of the best conferences in Southeastern Ohio.

Last year I'm not sure anyone knew what to expect. With a glut of seniors in the class of '13 not playing, (in what arguably could have been one of best classes in the area in a long time-- but it just wasn't meant to be. That's for another post), this year to me might be a clearer picture. Here’s my pre season prediction.

1 Zane Trace- The most complete team in the SVC with a stud middle, a stud outside and a solid lib. Look for them to make a run at Regionals. Moving up to Div II might make it tougher, but if they beefed up their schedule and dropped some of the non league cupcakes they feasted on last year --it will go a long way in being better prepared come tourney time.

2 Unioto - This team has the best chance to dethrone the defending champs. Highly skilled and deep at every position, they pretty much bring the entire team back from last year! The youngsters’ are a year older, stronger, and better vballers. If they get more production in the middle I see them playing in the district final and possibly beyond.

3 Adena – You can't count out the the team that has dominated the SVC for the last 7 out of 8 years. With not a lot of size but a ton of volleyball talent, look for Adena to play small ball. Passing money, keeping balls off the floor on defense, and being efficient on offense, Adena will flat grind teams out.

4 Westfall - One of the longest (6’2” and 6’4” middles) and youngest teams in the SVC this year, Westfall is in rebuild mode. Look for them to compete for the title next year for sure.

5 Huntington - Losing one of the best players in the league is tough to overcome but this team has some talent and freshman who can make an impact. Another team that might be a year away.

6 Southeastern – A team with some very talented players but not a lot of size or depth. Passing and defense will be the key to this team having success.

7 Paint Valley – I think we will definitely see improvement in their play this year as Jacquie Whittle begins her second year at the helm. If they take on her personality and some her skills rub off on them this team will push other teams to the brink.

8 Piketon – The school always seems to have great athletes but for whatever reason it never translates into volleyballers.

So that’s it…it’s just a prediction but the beauty of it is it gets to be played out right before your eyes. I really look forward to watching the SVC in action this year. I wish all the teams the best of luck and hope they all have an injury free season!

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Re: SVC 2013: Let's get this party started...

Post by boo33vb »

Ron, i really like your breakdown and we think alike in this arena! For those that don't know, Ron Von Hagen was a beach volleyball legend back in the 60's winning 62 tournaments mostly in California where it all started for the beach scene.

!. ZT- talent laden, very good coach, and have tournament run experience. Grooming a skilled setter was probably at the top of Lori's list this summer. Barring injury, i like them to repeat. Tournament time will pose a tougher challenge with the likes of Washington C.H., Athens, Fairfield Union, Warren, Chilli and the"U" all in D2 bracket.

2. Adena and Unioto- I see a tie as both win at home. Both these teams were primed to have great seasons last year as you mentioned and Seniors did not play for whatever reason. I remember Coman, Trainer and Flautt all seeing time as freshman and thought they would be really good. Coach Smith without much height on her roster will get the job done by as you say grinding it out and wearing teams down by keeping the ball off the floor. I see the "U" as quick, feisty and athletic. Middles will have to produce for them to challenge.

4. Westfall- After tutoring under Coach Merriman for a couple seasons, Coach Rodgers gets in the mix with maybe the tallest lineup in southeast Ohio. This alone helps the young squad win as you can't teach SIZE and blocks will shut down most middle attacks from opponents which forces the ball outside and leaves you with less options on offense.

5. Huntington- Transition year with the loss of POY Kellough and the health issues of Coach Magill. Tina always has her teams playing at a high, competitive level. Still return a very good setter and libero, just need to find someone to tally some kills in the stat book! Prayers still for Tina.

6. Paint Valley- I like them to make some noise with Coach Whittle's 2nd season. She returns some kids who have bought into what she is selling and it must taste good. I think they are experiencing a culture change with good volleyball skills being taught.

7. Southeastern- Speaking of good volleyball skills being taught, SE has one of the best in Coach Duarte. This guy played internationally and picked up so much knowledge he could write a text. The culture must have to change for them to challenge. They have enough athletes walking the hallways to make this happen.

8. Piketon- Ditto! You put the Phelpry kid on Zane Trace team and they become a beast that goes to regionals in D2.

My summary is without seeing full rosters yet and much is to be played out, so looking foward to seeing some games and i wish well to all area teams as this game keeps growing into one of the funnest to watch and play!

DadPaul08
Riding the Bench

Post by DadPaul08 »

Good analysis that I can't dispute. I think there will be five teams vying for the title, with very close match-ups each time those five get together. Might be one of the most competitive SVC races in many a moon. OHSAA has break-downs of regionals, with Southeast District only getting one district champ this year in Division 2, and they go to Wilmington Regional. This has been a "meat grinder" for years, with the other three district champs all coming from Kettering. In Division 3 Regionals at Logan, the SE District will get three winners heading there again. Could be profitable for Westfall, Adena and Huntington as favorites, with Alexander being down this year.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

Great posts above I really don't have much to ad
other then I think Paint Valley
will separate themselves from the bottom two
of the league and knock off one or more
of the top 5 this season.

The big dogs better come ready to hunt
in bearcat land this year
or they might just see their SVC title hopes
Whittled away.

For what ever summer tournaments are
Worth Unioto won Bloom Carrol and Southeasterns
Came in second at Adena and Miami.

Main Man
Freshman Team

Post by Main Man »

I guess Zane Trace went 5 games with Athens in a pretty amped up scrimmage last night. Athens took set 1 and set 4 . ZT took the other 3 in a 5 set battle. D2 will be a tough situation this year for local teams. Loaded sectional and district.

DadPaul08
Riding the Bench

Post by DadPaul08 »

Remember only one D-2 advances out of SE District the next two years, while D-3 gets three winners to regional.

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Post by warningtrackpower »

SVC Preview Article on SVCsportszone.com . . . http://svcsportszone.com/svcvolleyballprevannounce.html

Call 740-569-3254 and leave us a message (question/comment) for our first podcast show of season #3 (SVC Sports Talk) later this month

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

warningtrackpower wrote:SVC Preview Article on SVCsportszone.com . . . http://svcsportszone.com/svcvolleyballprevannounce.html

Call 740-569-3254 and leave us a message (question/comment) for our first podcast show of season #3 (SVC Sports Talk) later this month

Once again the SVCSportszone delivers a spot on preview of the coming volleyball season. 

As for being a Sherman fan,
I agree 100% with your take on the Tanks.
And you are not being too hard on them, 
This is the year they need to step it up and prove 
What they are capable of accomplishing.

Also
ZT did an outstanding job of hosting the preview.
That was by far the best SVC preview of any sport 
I have ever been part of.
Also thanks to all the officials that donated their time
For a very good cause.

SVC volleyball is a very competitive sport 
But it is also a very close knit family of players, coaches, fans, and officials.

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Post by warningtrackpower »

Fans - take advantage of this year's free entry option to play in our pick'em contest on SVCsportszone.com - really fun with great prizes - check link for details

http://svcsportszone.com/2013fallpickscoreboard.html

RonVonHagen
Riding the Bench

Post by RonVonHagen »

This weeks slate of games will have some good match ups with the highlight of my top two teams, ZT and Unioto playing Thursday. While not a make or break game for either team the winner will establish themselves as the team to beat in the conference. This should be a dandy!! Another match up that has some intrigue is the PV at SE. A young struggling Southeastern team host the Senior laden Bearcats. For those of you high on Paint Valley this could be their 1st SVC road win in while and might provide the team the springboard they need in league play. Good luck Howie and Jacquie! #covalove

DadPaul08
Riding the Bench

Post by DadPaul08 »

Howie is NOT the head coach at SE this fall. It is Lori Dresbach

DadPaul08
Riding the Bench

Post by DadPaul08 »

www.wkkj.com scorepage says Adena beat Huntington in four sets. Laura Smith with career win 599. Congrats Coach!!!

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

Unofficial result from the 1st night of SVC action

Unioto over Piketon
Westfall over ZT
Adena over Huntington
Southeastern over Paint Valley

Piketon had Unioto on the ropes in the second set
Up like 22 to 19 and Neff came up with
A big kill and then served the Tanks out
To a 25 to 22 win. Piketon never recovered in
The third set.
Scores of the three sets
25/13
25/22
25/15

DadPaul08
Riding the Bench

Post by DadPaul08 »

Any score on ZT-Westfall? I heard ZT won first two sets easily.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

DadPaul08 wrote:Any score on ZT-Westfall? I heard ZT won first two sets easily.
No scores just hearing through my vast net work of SVC Volleyball enthusiasts that Westfall came back after two down
To beat the Pioneers.

I'm by no means WKKJ or SVC Sportzone so until we see it on either of those two sites let's keep the results as unofficial.

EDIT
SVC SportsZone makes it official Westfall comes back from two down to take the Pioneers in 5
Hear it here on the shoutomatic feature-

http://m.shoutomatic.com/shayne-combs

RonVonHagen
Riding the Bench

Post by RonVonHagen »

Wow!! A surprise and a big road win for Westfall! That's a heck of a comeback. It will be interesting to hear Main Man's take on the match...

Nice win in 3 for SE. And you're right DadPaul08, my bad. Lori is the coach. She needs to tell Howie to sit down during the game and to have him quit filling out the line up sheet...

Unioto and Adena protect their home court...

Looking foward to the Unioto v ZT match...

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

RonVonHagen wrote: Unioto and Adena protect their home court...

Ooooohhh-ummmmmmm

Ok I have been holding out on this information
But tonight's Unioto game was at Piketon.
And we don't know for 100% when the floor
In Frenchtown will be playable.
I'm hearing of back room deals and negotiations
With OUC and Bishop Flaget as to where the
Sherman's may end up playing their home games
This season.
The Athletic Department assured the X that
All home games will be played in Frenchtown
This season, come hell or high water.
Well the high water is what got us
To this point to begin with.

This was also the Sherman's year to host the
SVC previews..............

RonVonHagen
Riding the Bench

Post by RonVonHagen »

Good stuff Xtoxxviii and very poetic use of the come hell or high water line! .... If i had my pick I would take OU-C over Flaget in a heartbeat. The floor at the Branch is a total jumpers floor! Flaget's ceiling is too low for vball and as a whole just doesn't compare to OU-C's facility. I hope the girl's new home away from home provides some wins---wherever that will be. Thanks for the inside scoop. :122249

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Post by boo33vb »

Wow, that upset by Westfall really mixes it up in the first week of play. Makes the Unioto game on Thursday almost a must win for ZT. I know its early but it puts ZT back in the drivers seat if they win in my opinion. Lori will have them ready. Unioto dealing with adversity right now by not having a home floor to play, practice on so it can affect players but good teams work through these things.

DadPaul08
Riding the Bench

Post by DadPaul08 »

Smith collects 600th career win at Adena. http://www.wkkj.com
Looks like ZT took a page out of Westfall's book earlier this week, coming back from a 2-0 deficit to beat Unioto...

Return to “Volleyball”