Volleyball Scoring

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Volleyball Scoring

Post by Frank Reagan »

How many are old enough to remember volleyball scoring when a team could only score when they served?

What are thoughts between the old scoring method and rally scoring as it is now?

Just food for thought on a Thursday.

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
Bret Wrightsel
Riding the Bench

Re: Volleyball Scoring

Post by Bret Wrightsel »

Started playing in 1984 and it was termed Sideout Scoring where you had to hold serve to score. Games were to 15 and win by two. In the two man beach game it was a grind and both indoor and outdoor you felt good because you really had to earn the point. Also teams switched sides of the court when one team reached 8 points to appease the “ good side vs bad side “ of the court. Never made much sense indoor unless you had a gym with windows on one end of the court and sun shone thru to blind players on opposite end. The current , ever evolving rally scoring was influenced from the European game and sped the game up, made it more fan friendly, and increased the number of points per game and a 5 set total if needed. I like both and played and coached both so makingi the transition was good for me to learn and teach new aspects of the flow of the game and faster offenses, different defenses to slow opponent down and serving became more of a tool due to more total attempts in each set. Love the sport either way and glad I was fortunate to play and Coach for a long time 💙🏐

Return to “Volleyball”