LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Public school 4 Private schools 0

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Defiance Tinora 4, Newark Catholic 3
Coldwater 4, Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy 2
Massillon Jackson 5, North Royalton 1
Bloom-Carroll 9, Plain City Jonathan Alder 0

What you won't hear/see is private schools crying about the public school winning all of the championships.

(I WENT TO A PUBLIC SCHOOL)
Last edited by LICKING COUNTY FAN on Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Public school 4 Private schools 0

Post by danicalifornia »

Can we also point out that North Royalton and Jonathan Alder are public schools too while we're at it?

Bloom may have had the most dominant tournament run in history. 19-0 in their 2 games at state and 55-2 in their total tournament games, including 4 straight shutouts to end the season.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

You guys didn't cherry pick a year did you? :) Let's go back and take the last 5 or 10 years (your choice) and shouldn't we look at more than one sport? When you compare the % of Private Schools winning championships or playing for them---to the % they make up of Ohio High Schools----we'll get a different (and more realistic) picture.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

newarkcatholicfan wrote:Defiance Tinora 4, Newark Catholic 3
Coldwater 4, Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy 2
Massillon Jackson 5, North Royalton 1
Bloom-Carroll 9, Plain City Jonathan Alder 0

What you won't here is private schools crying about the public school winning all of the championships.

(I WENT TO A PUBLIC SCHOOL)
*hear

chiefs
Varsity

Post by chiefs »

Fortdawg wrote:You guys didn't cherry pick a year did you? :) Let's go back and take the last 5 or 10 years (your choice) and shouldn't we look at more than one sport? When you compare the % of Private Schools winning championships or playing for them---to the % they make up of Ohio High Schools----we'll get a different (and more realistic) picture.
I'm too lazy to check, but how many public schools won in softball?

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

The FC Fan wrote:
Fortdawg wrote:You guys didn't cherry pick a year did you? :) Let's go back and take the last 5 or 10 years (your choice) and shouldn't we look at more than one sport? When you compare the % of Private Schools winning championships or playing for them---to the % they make up of Ohio High Schools----we'll get a different (and more realistic) picture.
I'm too lazy to check, but how many public schools won in softball?
4 Public 0 private, in softball.

NYF
Freshman Team

Post by NYF »

It's more then just State Championships. You have to look at the complete picture. How many of the private schools kept good public team schools from
advancing in the tournament?

chiefs
Varsity

Post by chiefs »

NYF wrote:It's more then just State Championships. You have to look at the complete picture. How many of the private schools kept good public team schools from
advancing in the tournament?
And they're good because you say they're good?

NYF
Freshman Team

Post by NYF »

All I am saying is its not always about the winning the State Championship. You have to look at the Path your team took to atleast get that far.
Just look at the final 16 in both baseball and softball for each division. Several private schools beat good baseball and softball teams.
I'm not taking anything away from the private schools that made it that far, because you do have to work hard to get that far. I also think
the gap might be shrinking. I'm just pointing out that its not always the championship game.

chiefs
Varsity

Post by chiefs »

NYF wrote:All I am saying is its not always about the winning the State Championship. You have to look at the Path your team took to atleast get that far.
Just look at the final 16 in both baseball and softball for each division. Several private schools beat good baseball and softball teams.
I'm not taking anything away from the private schools that made it that far, because you do have to work hard to get that far. I also think
the gap might be shrinking. I'm just pointing out that its not always the championship game.
That's pretty fair. But sometimes there's crapshoot districts - Division 4 central district in softball for instance... the #1 and #2 overall seeds were Millersport and Berne Union respectively, well there weren't many good teams in the district anyway... Millersport lost to the #10 Delaware Chrstian in the first round, the Lakers committed four errors and looked ahead and lost. That same DC team ended up beating #2 Berne in the bottom of the 7th to win Districts. The Rockets also committed a BUNCH of errors and their all-state pitcher didn't even have any earned runs in that game.

My point is some times there really are some not very championship quality teams in every district, and sometimes it just boils down to who makes mistakes less, and in this case I'm referring to it was the small Christian school that is not at all at a competitive advantage.

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Not every Private School recruits or cheats, some do it just like Burg or Southern. Those teams do it with great coaching, tradition and kids with who dedicate themselves to be the best with parents who support them 100%. Some people on here have made losing to a Private School a crime instead of saying we were beat by a better team. Yes there are Privates that do stretch the rules as do some Public Schools but using the excuse we got beat by a Private sounds like a crutch.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

20% of schools are private and over 50% of state finals are won by these 20%. nuff said

85TITAN85
Riding the Bench

Post by 85TITAN85 »

Actually, from the results I can find- OHSAA awarded 47 public schools state championships this year and 18 private in all sports. I could be off by a couple but that's over 72% public.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I need to see more than one year's data before I change my mind. I find myself agreeing with G.W.A. I still need someone to explain to me the "Fairness" of kids from one school district competing with a team made up of kids from multiple school districts when they are in the same division.

85TITAN85
Riding the Bench

Post by 85TITAN85 »

In the entire history of the OHSAA the split is around 70% public; but everyone looks at only football or focuses on the last 20-30 years where the greatest disparity is. I believe, and likely always will, that it's more of a urban/rural problem than a public/private one.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Over the past 5 years, the split is close to 65% public, with 2010-2011 being a year where privates won a large number of championships as the outlier. Football, Tennis, and Swimming/Diving are the sports where the private schools have dominance. Baseball over the past 15 years is around 60% public, with 7 of the last 8 being won by public schools.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Most folks who are looking at the public-private comparison are basing most of it off the most watched sports - football and basketball.

Farr
Riding the Bench

Post by Farr »

bman wrote:Most folks who are looking at the public-private comparison are basing most of it off the most watched sports - football and basketball.
Unfortunately, most of the public views these (2) as the only ones that matter.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Baseball isn't a money sport in high school and nobody's going to change schools to go to a perennial baseball powerhouse so they can win the OHSAA baseball state championship. Summer baseball leagues outshine the high school season.

Return to “Baseball”