Meigs American Legion Post 128

redeagle
Riding the Bench

Re: Meigs American Legion Post 128

Post by redeagle »

Neverthless, I think Tom Woods will do a fine job & the other two Eastern boys were Griffin & Hendrix. Fine ballplayers but I don't know how much playing time they would have gotten over the summer with the caliber of a team Feeney-Bennett had last year. I definlitely think they could have contributed in their own ways but as for everyday starters I can't say because they didn't finish out the year.

Is there a reason we are calling this the Meigs Legion Team again?..Are there other legions pitching in $$$ for us to be calling the Feeney-Bennett team Meigs again? If that's not the case let's give the legion that's giving the money a little INK!

diamondD1
JV Team

Post by diamondD1 »

The District and the State typically recognizes the legion team by where it is from. If the team's legion post is mentioned it is usually mentioned after the geographical location (e.g. Lancaster Post 11, Athens Post 21, etc.). Athens has always had many players from Federal Hocking, Alexander, Trimble, as well as Athens. However, the team's sponsoring legion post is from Athens. Thus, the name.

If we wanted to get really specific about the Meigs name we could go as far as call it Middleport Post 128. But because it really is a county-wide team, it seems appropriate to call it Meigs Post 128. With, of course, special thanks to the Feeney-Bennett post for sponsoring the team, which is why the team has worn it's initials ("FB") on the hat for the past 3 years.

I would recommend thinking of "Meigs" as "Meigs County".

JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

Has Feeney-Bennett always been the lone sponsor/financial supporter of the team? Many years ago the team played their home games at Syracuse (I can remember watching them in those yellow jerseys...Joe Bob Hemsley was a player then)....were there other Meigs County legions sponsoring the team then?

On the other subject being discussed....regardless of whether or not the coaching change was due to parent complaints, it really is a shame. Guys like Jim McClure, Mike Warren, Chris Stewart, and Will Haislop worked very hard to rebuild the Meigs County Legion team into a respectable, competitive, championship program...all culminating in the teams first appearance in the state tournament in 30 years or so last year. These men accomplished an awful lot with this team and program over the last 5 years or so and this is how they are repaid? Kind of shady if you ask me. My only hope is that the program maintains what has been built and continue to produce a quality team.
Living in an area where Legion Baseball is a priveledge and honor for those who make the team, and seeing a program that is top notch year-in-and-year-out...I heard the comments about the dreaded trips to Pomeroy to face the lowly Meigs Legion team. The comments of what a joke of a program it was. But over the last 3 or 4 years those comments have changed to ones of respect. Teams thoughts about the Meigs team have changed and they know they better bring their "A" game when playing them. I really hope the program that has been built is not torn apart and taken back to what it used to be.
I don't agree with the "firing" (or whatever it should be called) of Coach Haislop. But with that said, I know Tom Woods as a person, and altough I don't know his baseball background I'm sure he'll do his best to keep the program going at a high level.
Good Luck Feeney Bennett Post 128!

Tyler_Durden
Freshman Team

Post by Tyler_Durden »

i can confirm the verity of not wanting to go to meigs to play. you never knew if they were going to have enough players show up to play the game, you never knew what the field was going to be like, and you never knew what kind of officials you were going to get (that is, if you got any licensed ones at all). it was all bush league to the max. an embarrassment to the game, to the county, and to the other teams in their district. however, i can also confirm the verity that those things have drastically changed. i saw them play at minford last summer, at the 4th of july tournament in athens (where they beat state runner-up zanesville), and at the state (that game against the state champs steubenville was an amazing sight to see), and i saw them a couple years ago as well. they have looked like a completely different team than i ever saw come out of there, with a completely different mindset toward the game. for the sake of baseball and the reputation they have repaired down there on the river, i hope things can remain in order too.

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

Post by Remember_The_Name »

T_D, the mind set of the players in that area, (Souther, Meigs, and Eastern HS) has definately changed over the years... Eastern and Southern both made it to the regional tourney last season in HS and Meigs won their league.. southern also won their league as well... A positive mindset definately results in the success over the summer, for example of last seasons success in legion ball... Ive talked to everyone thats planning on playing for POst 128 and the mindset is even higher!!! i look for things to only get better for the program...

longball315
Freshman Team

Post by longball315 »

well said rtn

team player
Waterboy

Post by team player »

The coaching change should no longer be an issue. THE PLAY IS OVER. FORGET ABOUT IT AND GET ON WITH THE GAME. I wish the team well, there should be alot of talent returning and new talent in addition. Good things will happen and this team will continue with the caliber of the past few years. For those of you that no longer live in Meigs County it is easy to judge when you aren't around, but for those of us who live here it will be nice to have a local coach. PLAY BALL

JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

For those of you that no longer live in Meigs County it is easy to judge when you aren't around, but for those of us who live here it will be nice to have a local coach. PLAY BALL

team player....are you implying that because I no longer live in Meigs County, I don't know enough about the team and the program to make comments? Trust me...I know PLENTY about Feeney Bennett Post 128, possibly more than you do...trust me. Also, last year was the ONLY year that Post 128 did not have "a local coach" (as you call it)...what does that have to do with anything? But even then, Coach Haislop had every right to coach the team and his sons had every right to play on the team. Gallia County kids used to play for the Meigs County team when they (Gallia) didn't have a team. Once Gallia started a team, the kids already playing for the Meigs team were allowed to stay and play with the team they had begun with. Coach Haislop was Coach Stewart's assistant coach, so when Coach Stewart stepped down in order to coach his young son's team, the logical replacement is his assistant coach. And obviously it was a good choice as Coach Haislop led the team to the state tournament.

R_T_N....as someone who grew up and played baseball all my life in Meigs County, I can say that my mindset and my teammates mindset was always positive and we had a lot of talented baseball players throughout the years. We wanted to win more than anything...I played on some amazing summer little league teams and even some good high school teams. Meigs, Eastern, and Southern have always been good in baseball. However, it was not our fault that A) for several years there wasn't even a legion team at all to play for, B) the few years we did have a team, the coaches that tried to coach were good guys but had no coaching experience and were not the caliber coach you need in legion baseball.
There's no doubt in my mind that you young men in Meigs County today are great baseball players and have all the confidence and ability in the world. I just wanted you to know, that's not something new. Meigs County has always been filled with great baseball players. It's just that you guys have for the last 5 years or so been given the opportunity to play for a good legion team with coaches who have a lot of baseball knowledge and coaching experience. Those are opportunities that not all of us were given.

Kramden
Waterboy

Post by Kramden »

Why are you so angry, FrozenRope9? For whatever reason, the leadership of Feeney Bennett Post 128, whose sponsored the team for years, made the coaching decision, not parents or players. I am sure the entire team, including coaches, are grateful for the support of Post 128 and recognize that their sponsorship can't be taken for granted.

It's difficult to read the rather lopsided posts in this thread and to keep silent, but it’s best for the team to limit this discussion and to move on. Continued discussion on this matter will do nothing to help the team.

Thank you RTN for making us aware of the coaching change. Also, thank you for always providing positive posts and supporting your Post 128 teammates throughout the year.

True fans of Post 128 will support the team and the new coaches, even if they aren’t happy with the decision of the leadership.

JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

Kramden.....I'm not angry at all. Sorry you took it that way. Do I agree with the coaching change? No not at all. But by no means am I angry. I don't want to come across this way. I just know how much work, love, and passion Coach Stewart and others have put into this program over the last 5 years or so and I'm hopeful that it isn't all for nothing now. And that statement is nothing against Tom Woods at all. It's simply in support of the coach and or coaches who have inexplainably been let go after a very successful year. I was completely ready to not post on this topic anymore, but I felt like team player was taking a jab at me so I wanted to defend myself. Even still, I'm not angry...and I do wish Post 128 all the best.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

Wow, high school games havent even started yet and there is so much talk about legion ball. Guess people are ready for baseball to start. :lol:

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

FrozenRope9 wrote:For those of you that no longer live in Meigs County it is easy to judge when you aren't around, but for those of us who live here it will be nice to have a local coach. PLAY BALL

team player....are you implying that because I no longer live in Meigs County, I don't know enough about the team and the program to make comments? Trust me...I know PLENTY about Feeney Bennett Post 128, possibly more than you do...trust me. Also, last year was the ONLY year that Post 128 did not have "a local coach" (as you call it)...what does that have to do with anything? But even then, Coach Haislop had every right to coach the team and his sons had every right to play on the team. Gallia County kids used to play for the Meigs County team when they (Gallia) didn't have a team. Once Gallia started a team, the kids already playing for the Meigs team were allowed to stay and play with the team they had begun with. Coach Haislop was Coach Stewart's assistant coach, so when Coach Stewart stepped down in order to coach his young son's team, the logical replacement is his assistant coach. And obviously it was a good choice as Coach Haislop led the team to the state tournament.

R_T_N....as someone who grew up and played baseball all my life in Meigs County, I can say that my mindset and my teammates mindset was always positive and we had a lot of talented baseball players throughout the years. We wanted to win more than anything...I played on some amazing summer little league teams and even some good high school teams. Meigs, Eastern, and Southern have always been good in baseball. However, it was not our fault that A) for several years there wasn't even a legion team at all to play for, B) the few years we did have a team, the coaches that tried to coach were good guys but had no coaching experience and were not the caliber coach you need in legion baseball.
There's no doubt in my mind that you young men in Meigs County today are great baseball players and have all the confidence and ability in the world. I just wanted you to know, that's not something new. Meigs County has always been filled with great baseball players. It's just that you guys have for the last 5 years or so been given the opportunity to play for a good legion team with coaches who have a lot of baseball knowledge and coaching experience. Those are opportunities that not all of us were given.

FrozenRope9, i come from a family of nothing but athletic baseball players, my uncle played legion ball back ion the 80s for post 128 and had a blast, and then too the team was realy tough... Believe me, i think i know more than anybody, at least anyone at my age, the talent and caliber of baseball players that came through this area...

I dont know why you still seem so angry about the whole coaching change... you are right... as Coach Stewarts assistant, Will would be the next guy to take the riegns as head coach... Ill admit, i hated to see coach stewart step down, but i understood his reasoning, especially with a son like his who is a great kid and very athletic for his age, and a kid who kept stealing my sunflower seeds during games... lol :lol: :122249 , i wouldnt want to miss a game of his either if i was coach stewart... but im in no way bashing any of my coachs i had... coach stewart helped me out since i entered legion ball... him and Will were both there to help teach me new things about the game... But with the recent coaching change to Coach Tom Woods... like i said a million times before... he knows the game well and he knows what the talent is like around this area... He will do whats best for the team... All you can do now is look forward ...

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

how about we drop the coaching change thing, i am tired of reading about this stuff, just a thought.

Tyler_Durden
Freshman Team

Post by Tyler_Durden »

team player wrote:The coaching change should no longer be an issue. THE PLAY IS OVER. FORGET ABOUT IT AND GET ON WITH THE GAME.

Maximus wrote:how about we drop the coaching change thing, i am tired of reading about this stuff, just a thought.

hey folks, we didn't create this discussion. whenever a person or organization does something that makes little sense (such as, according to the information in this thread, fire a legion coach the year after a team makes it to the state tournament, and after he had already made pre-season preparations for the coming season), it is only natural that it will be discussed/questioned/criticized. all over the internet there are millions of message boards, and that's what they all do. if teams, coaches, parents, organizations, etc don't like controversy being discussed, then don't create controversy.

that being said, this discussion will most likely die down once the high school baseball season starts. people right now are probably just itching to talk baseball and since there are no baseball games to talk about yet, then this kind of stuff is all there is right now. good luck to everyone down in meigs county.

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

:aaaaa96

lol i dont know y i just did that lol

Return to “Baseball”