Belpre Eagles 2008

Eagles20
Freshman Team

Belpre Eagles 2008

Post by Eagles20 »

Any thoughts on how well they will do. Lost quite a bit to graduation in Thornhill, Watson and Sizemore. Got some nice players in Waderker, Packard and Tate returning.

MVP
Waterboy

Post by MVP »

doubt they will win the league or anything but the TVC will be down. Definately a rebuilding year or 2 for the whole league, lost alot of good players to graduation from Wellston, Alex, and Belpre...

Eagles20
Freshman Team

Post by Eagles20 »

Belpre returns 6 starters from a team that made it to the district finals. Packard along with Tate give them 2 of their top 4 pitchers from a year ago. Nice freshman class should be a some good additions to the ball club

MVP
Waterboy

Post by MVP »

Eagles20 wrote:Belpre returns 6 starters from a team that made it to the district finals. Packard along with Tate give them 2 of their top 4 pitchers from a year ago. Nice freshman class should be a some good additions to the ball club

True, but Meigs will be the team to beat. Belpre returns 6 starters but they seem to never do well in the TVC and then they make a miracle run in the sectionals and such.

redeagle
Riding the Bench

Post by redeagle »

True, but Meigs will be the team to beat. Belpre returns 6 starters but they seem to never do well in the TVC and then they make a miracle run in the sectionals and such.

Yeah & Meigs dominates the league but can never get passed Gallipolis in the Sectionals. I'd rather be like the Golden Eagles. Best of Luck to both this upcoming year.

MVP
Waterboy

Post by MVP »

I wouldnt personally. Its way more challenging and more likely not get to the state. Alot more promising to win the TVC and have a winning record going into the postseason instead of making it harder playing better teams having a bad seed.

redeagle
Riding the Bench

Post by redeagle »

I wouldnt personally. Its way more challenging and more likely not get to the state. Alot more promising to win the TVC and have a winning record going into the postseason instead of making it harder playing better teams having a bad seed.

More promising to win the TVC rather than state? lol. More promising to who? I think the fans of Belpre baseball who don't always turn out to watch the TVC games would turn out to watch the Golden Eagles play in a State Championship game. It would excite the program, town & area.

More promising, no, easier to win a league title YES!

The State title would mean alot more!

Gary Redus
Waterboy

Post by Gary Redus »

Who was the last TVC team to play in the final four.....................................................
.........................Meigs in 96. They finished third in
the TVC that year behind Vinton County and
Wellston.

Wellston has also made it in the past as well--
Division III SE District is tough, but it isn't nearly as difficult to
get to the districts as in DII, no matter the sport.
Warren and Courthouse have pretty much dominated the district lately.

Fact being, in Belpre's case, they were more talented than any other
team in the Ohio except Wellston.
They finished fifth, ahead of only Nelsonville.

Belpre basically has underachieved the past few years even though they limit playing non-league games to save pitching. No way you should be critical of Meigs.

redeagle
Riding the Bench

Post by redeagle »

Belpre basically has underachieved the past few years even though they limit playing non-league games to save pitching. No way you should be critical of Meigs.

Where was I critical of Meigs? All I stated was the fact that Meigs (who has won the league like 3 out of the last 4 years) has not gotten out of the Sectionals due to Gallipolis & I would rather go deeper into the playoffs (like Belpre) than win a league championship.

That's all I'm saying!

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Belpre did not make it to the District Finals. They were beat by Zane Trace in the District Semi-Final.

redeagle
Riding the Bench

Post by redeagle »

Belpre did not make it to the District Finals. They were beat by Zane Trace in the District Semi-Final.

Just using it as an example.

Marauder_2010
Freshman Team

Post by Marauder_2010 »

i agree wit Redus......DII is has a lot better teams......ya its nice to go deep in the playoffs but it doesn't really show much when u play weak teams.....i mean saying meigs doesn't go deep like belpre kinda sounds like ur saying belpre is better then meigs.....if so then y is it a slaughtering every time those two teams meet??

redeagle
Riding the Bench

Post by redeagle »

i agree wit Redus......DII is has a lot better teams......ya its nice to go deep in the playoffs but it doesn't really show much when u play weak teams.....i mean saying meigs doesn't go deep like belpre kinda sounds like ur saying belpre is better then meigs.....if so then y is it a slaughtering every time those two teams meet??

When you play weak teams?..lol..Meigs fans look at your league you play smaller schools! But as soon as you play a team your size it's one & done!

PLAYOFFS MEAN MORE THAN LEAGUE!!!! TRUST ME, HOW MANY FANS COME TO WATCH YOU PLAY A LEAGUE GAME @ VINTON COUNTY??!!!

AS OPPOSED TO HOW MANY WENT TO MUNSON FIELD WHEN MEIGS WAS IN THE STATE TOURNAMENT??!!!

It excites the community!

I'm done defending my point now! I never meant to put Meigs down, they have a good program! I just like what Belpre does in the playoffs more than what Meigs does in the league. I'm not belittling it at all!

MVP
Waterboy

Post by MVP »

redeagle wrote:

More promising to win the TVC rather than state? lol. More promising to who? I think the fans of Belpre baseball who don't always turn out to watch the TVC games would turn out to watch the Golden Eagles play in a State Championship game. It would excite the program, town & area.

More promising, no, easier to win a league title YES!

The State title would mean alot more!

The point is, they have a record of being underachievers. They should have had a great team the last 3 years but did they? no.

They played around and didnt do anything until the sectionals. Yes, alot easier to win the league, so why not try it? I truely doubt a team that places 5th in the TVC Ohio will goto the State Championship game. So why not achieve what potential the team has and get 2nd maybe 3rd in the league and give yourself a better seading and more experience and confidence heading into the tourny? huh...i wonder

redeagle
Riding the Bench

Post by redeagle »

The point is, they have a record of being underachievers. They should have had a great team the last 3 years but did they? no.

They played around and didnt do anything until the sectionals. Yes, alot easier to win the league, so why not try it? I truely doubt a team that places 5th in the TVC Ohio will goto the State Championship game. So why not achieve what potential the team has and get 2nd maybe 3rd in the league and give yourself a better seading and more experience and confidence heading into the tourny? huh...i wonder

I'm not saying not to win the league! Shoot why not try? I'm pretty sure these young men have been, but the breaks haven't gone their way!

Meigs got to state with a 3rd place finish in the leauge, and Gibsonburg won the DIV State Championship with a season record of 9-13! So stranger things have happened!!! :shock:

Gary Redus
Waterboy

Post by Gary Redus »

Again, in DII unlike DIII and IV, you have to win a game or two to make the sectional finals. Meigs has won tournament games and then lost in the district semis or sectional finals. They have not gone one and done, slick.

redeagle
Riding the Bench

Post by redeagle »

Yes they have. TTT

MVP
Waterboy

Post by MVP »

Gary Redus wrote:Again, in DII unlike DIII and IV, you have to win a game or two to make the sectional finals. Meigs has won tournament games and then lost in the district semis or sectional finals. They have not gone one and done, slick.

true, just throwing sectionals out there as a point. They did make the sectionals 2 years ago didnt they?

Gary Redus
Waterboy

Post by Gary Redus »

http://seodab.org/brackets/2007/2007_base_div2.pdf
http://seodab.org/brackets/2007/2007_base_div3.pdf

Meigs was not one and done.

The Eagles have had great success the past two seasons. It is good for the league that they have. If you want to compare apples to apples, what has Wellston done in the tournament with all of their wins, TVC titles, and talent the past 5-10 years?

The fact that the TVC has any success in Div. II tournament will be miraculous when you have powers such as CH, Warren,Sheridan,Circleville, Unioto, etc. teams that are perennially ranked in the top ten.

DIII has some of the top teams in the state, but have more opportunities to get out. Arguably, DIII Southeast is as tough as any district in the state.
Belpre found that out when the played Adena and ZT. Who are the equivalent of CH and Warren. Meigs just sees those teams a couple of rounds earlier.

Good luck Eagles, rumor is your heading to the Hocking Division anyway.

MVP
Waterboy

Post by MVP »

Hey, I never said Wellston has done a whole lot in the tourney lately. We did get a bad seed last year though.

Return to “Baseball”