Meigs Legion Baseball- will there be a team?

g w mclintock
All State

Meigs Legion Baseball- will there be a team?

Post by g w mclintock »

Will there be a team at Meigs this year?

What about Gallipolis? Will their team continue?

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

Post by Remember_The_Name »

Id hope there would be a team at Meigs, First time to the State tourney in over 20somethin years.....

baseballfanatic
Waterboy

Post by baseballfanatic »

YES, There will be a team at MEIGS POST 128 this year!! I already have several games scheduled, all with very competitive teams, that will make us the best we can be by testing us in every game. We did lose some of the best players in southern Ohio from our team, Luke, Joel, Eric, Dave, but I have every confidence in the boys that are returning and I think with the season we had last year that we will see some more players come to tryouts who want to be part of a winning team. Also there are a few boys who did not get much playing time last year, but stayed the course, and I expect them to step up and do their best to fill the shoes of those we lost.
We have already had our meeting with the legion, and I am waiting to here from them, as they are going to release some monies early this year so we can be better prepared as far as hats, uniforms, baseballs so that we can be ahead of the game and able to spend more time getting our team ready for another run at the title, and not worring so much about where are we going to get the money to compete.
Last edited by baseballfanatic on Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Yes, Meigs did go to state, but if I recall looking at the brackets Meigs was the only team with a Losing record.

JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

What's your point regulator?

By the way, they also gave the eventual state champ Steubenville all they could handle too.

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

FrozenRope9 wrote:What's your point regulator?

By the way, they also gave the eventual state champ Steubenville all they could handle too.

I agree. Setting a state record for most runs scored in an inning (14) and it was against the state champs, who got beat by Rockport IN by one run who later advance to the World Series. Their record doesnt reflect on how much talent was on that team. They made it that far and thats all that matters. theres no reason why they cant do it again next summer.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

My point is Meigs was not a winning team! They got hot at the right time but still lost two straight in the tournament. Not like they are considered a juggernaut of a legion team. Legion baseball is depleted over the last 5 years due to the majority of good players are now playing travel ball!

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

Sometimes getting hot at the right time is all it takes. Look at the Major Leagues. Who would have thought the Rockies, Cubs, and DBacks would make it to the post season. The Cubs at one point were 14 games out of the div lead, and they made the post season....why.... because they got hot at the right time. Same situation with FB. they didn't do well during the season but they got hot at the right time, also beat Lancaster for the 2nd straight year in the tournament. FB pulls from an area of 3 schools, possibly 4, look at the other teams, they pull from cities and an area with higher division schools. But like i said getting hot at the right time is all it takes.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Don't compare your legion to a major league team.

All I was saying is a quote from baseballfanatic: He said winning team. Meigs did not have a winning team.

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

Regulator wrote:Don't compare your legion to a major league team.

All I was saying is a quote from baseballfanatic: He said winning team. Meigs did not have a winning team.

I'm not technically comparing them to a major league team, all I'm doing is comparing their situations. I agree they didn't having a winning team, but only by record. There were many obstacles during the year that the players handled well. I'm proud of our accomplishments of this past summer.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

I think "hot" was good enough to get the job done. Good year for Post 128. Nobody can take that district title away from you.

JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

Regulator....what you are explaining about legion ball declining is certainly not true in Meigs County. That legion program has been on the rise for the last 4 or 5 years and hopefully it will continue if someone picks up where Coach Stewart left off with all his efforts. Also the legion teams from Lancaster and Pickerington haven't declined any.
By the way, Meigs WON their district! To me that means they were a winning team regardless of their record. Three years ago a high school team (I believe it was Centerburg) entered their sectional tournament with a losing record. They entered the state championship game with a .500 record and beat Fisher Catholic to become state champs. How did this happen....they played a very tough regular season schedule which prepared them for the tournament (even if it meant they'd finish with a losing record), and they got hot and put together an amazing winning streak. Beyond their league schedule, Post 128 also played a tough regular season schedule and obvsiously it paid off for them. Apparently though they must have beaten your team and that's why you are bitter.

Also you said that baseballfanatic said Meigs was a winning team. Actually he did not say that. What he said was that he's hopeful that more players who WANT TO BE A PART of a winning team will try out. I take that as meaning he is confident that they will be a winning team next season. Nothing wrong with that. Every coach (I'm assuming baseballfanatic is a coach or has something to do with the team) should have that attitude and approach.
Last edited by JoeGatto on Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

:lol: 8)

diamondD1
JV Team

Post by diamondD1 »

BIGFOOT, I sent you PM with an answer to your request.

kybaseball
Waterboy

Post by kybaseball »

Ashland has a good legion baseball team here in Ky.

Return to “Baseball”