Hall of Famer Bob Feller will be in Athens....

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Not one of my favorite former players, but if I wasn't but if I would live in that area, I would definetly take advantage of a chance to see one of the All Time greats.

Gib25
Varsity

Post by Gib25 »

It's not everyday that Southeast Ohio has a visit from a Hall of Fame Pitcher. Making this a sucess is pretty important if we ever want to get anyone else to come down to the hills.

sportfolio
JV Team

Post by sportfolio »

Tickets are still available at the American Legion in Athens and from me and some other individuals.

It would be a great opportunity for high school and other youth baseball players to meet and talk with a legend. Also those that are still young at heart even though they haven't been a teenager for a while but maybe saw Feller in action with the Indians.

As noted in my story which is at the top of this thread, Feller is 93 but still goes to spring training with the Indians.

I never played sports but have followed them, especially at the high school level, for 50 years. I also compile boys and girls basketball coaching records, present and past.....additions are always welcome ... home address is 71 Sunnyside Drive, Athens, Ohio 45701.
g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

TTT

sportfolio
JV Team

Post by sportfolio »

Thanks to all who attended the banquet and to the sponsors who helped with varying donations. We would have liked to have more people there since it was a fund-raiser (as noted above), but those who attended were provided a great evening. Feller's remarks were good and he was very gracious, posing for pictures and signing autographs prior to the dinner and for another hour after the dinner -- no one was turned away.

I never played sports but have followed them, especially at the high school level, for 50 years. I also compile boys and girls basketball coaching records, present and past.....additions are always welcome ... home address is 71 Sunnyside Drive, Athens, Ohio 45701.
t_town07
Waterboy

Post by t_town07 »

Although he was not from my era , had a chanch to see Bob Feller at Marietta's VFW ... Was a great night of food and talk ...I have an autographed picture of the great1 hanging on the wall ... :lol: Funny thing though .. All he wanted to talk about was politics ..

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

It would've probably helped as far as a fund raising goes to have had a more current player or star attend. Then you would've had lot of younger players who could relate to todays star a lot better and would have been a better turn out. Not a lot for a High Schooler to talk about with a player they no nothing about. However this was a great chance to meet one of the all time greats and well worth the price.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

freethrow wrote:It would've probably helped as far as a fund raising goes to have had a more current player or star attend. Then you would've had lot of younger players who could relate to todays star a lot better and would have been a better turn out. Not a lot for a High Schooler to talk about with a player they no nothing about. However this was a great chance to meet one of the all time greats and well worth the price.

Good point and I agree with you Freethrow. However it's a Catch22- the more modern/current a player is, the higher the costs. Since this was the initial attempt to get this started as a fund raiser, I think the legion wanted to test the water and not risk spending a bunch of money and Mr. Feller reduced his fee because it was for the American Legion, an organization he actively supports. I expect the Legion to continue these dinners and change speakers as the success grows. I did think Bob Feller was a great speaker and everyone there enjoyed themselves. I hope these outings continue.

Return to “Baseball”