Best fields in southeastern Ohio

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

dani a must see. 12' red wooden fense in the Outfield.
I'm still partical to the Unioto Shermans field. AKA as the House that Doo Daddy Built! :lol:

Incognito
Varsity

Post by Incognito »

bengalfan76 wrote:dani a must see. 12' red wooden fense in the :

If your talking about Minfords fence. It isnt wood its cinderblock all the way around. Discourages overactive outfielders from getting to close to the wall. :lol:

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

I didn't know it was Block :shock: I bet it does slow em down :lol:

CoyDuke
Freshman Team

Post by CoyDuke »

Pioneer Park in Marietta is hands down the best complex in SE Ohio.

This may be hard to believe but there is life outside of Washington County.

1. VA Memorial Stadium-Chillicothe
2. Lucusville Valley
3. Minford
4. Unioto
5. Vinton County

Much Obliged
questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Webgem6- you said Athens field plays terrible? Also that the fence in left is too short? I have to question you of this topic.

Athens has one of the nicest grass infields.
Yes, there may have been a couple of trouble spots at the corners, but they both have been cut out and redone.

Leftfield is 302' not 250'. Not sure where you got that from. If your looking for a launchpad that would be Warren's field. They probably have the most homeruns hit there. In my years, I really have not seen a big number of homeruns hit at Athens. I know when I played there it wasn't that easy to hit them out.

However, TOP 5 I have played On (field+atmosphere):
1.)Athens/Warren (field+atmosphere)
2.)Jackson (field)
3.)Wellston (atmosphere)
4.)Paint Stadium (field)
5.)Beaver Field (field)

Just One Man's Thought!

mohawkbaseball#1
All Conference

Post by mohawkbaseball#1 »

when I played, Minford's crushed brick was on so thick it was like playing in sand

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I saw Jackson's today, and I know it is February, but it looked really bad.

JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

questionmark....if you want to see a launching pad you should check out John Nelson Field at Fairfield Union High School. It's a short porch all the way around that sits up on top of a hill. Not that it's needed, but the wind can blow a routine pop-up right out of the park. John Nelson Field is a great field with a good atmosphere for baseball...outfield fences are just not deep enough (but it's impossible to move them back).

swamisez
JV Team

Re: Best fields in southeastern Ohio

Post by swamisez »

Loved playing at Warren's field, had a good hitting backdrop.

Hated Marietta's field, it probably had the worst.

Rannow in Athens gets the nod for best playing surface

Gallipolis and Logan get nod for worst, because all the times I have seen the field the outfields have been flooded over.

My favorite of all was the Don Coss in Cambridge. Have that little crosley terrace thing going in left, and a swimming pool just beyond the fence so there is a possibility of splashing down on a bomb to left.

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

As far as the best place to watch a game from...the hill at Warren High School is easily the best for home and visitors. The infield grass is terrible for the players and the 3rd baseman is at the mercy of the batters when the sun is going down.

IronmenTradition
Riding the Bench

Post by IronmenTradition »

Jackson's field isn't quite as nice as is used to be but it is still a pretty nice field.
Positives on Jackson's field- Decent Seating, Infield is very nice, Red windscreen makes the field look nice, the entire field is kept trimmed up and kept in good shape, Dirt is always nice, The bulpens aren't too bad either.
Negatives- Right on the road, Outfield isn't too great, Not much too look at beside the road and tall silos in right field.
Over all it isn't that bad of a field. As for the net above the plate, it saves a lot of cars from being hit which probably helps from hearing a lot of complaints lol

My opinion on some of the top fields in the area would be...
1. VA- Great facility, which it should be being a semi-pro stadium.
2.Warren- Unbelievable atmosphere with the tree's and pond. That set up with all the fields in Warren is VERY nice. The field is kept very nice also. Great place to watch a game.
3.Minford- They've put a lot of work into that field and it paid off. Plus it has lights. Very nice field.

Some not so good fields...
Gallia- That place is a mess, either there is water in the outfield or brown dead grass. It's about the size of a softball field. I know Coach Corvin puts a lot of effort too help keep that field up it's just located where it's going to flood just from the morning dew. It's sad to see a talented team play on such a bad field. Im sure once the new schools will be done they will have a great baseball field though.

Wellston- You might as well throw some grass on the beach and play there. The infield is a mess with that sand. The backstop is way too far back too. It is located in a good spot though, it just seems like they have no effort to make it nice though.

Portsmouth's field could be such a nice field if they could just do some work too it. I know it's old but that could be one of the best fields around with some work done too it.

Rock Hill- could also have one of the best field's around if the field wasn't cement. The brick set up is so nice but the field needs some work.

interception
Waterboy

Post by interception »

Maybe somebody from Alexander can help me. I like the layout of their field and my cousins school in Lima is going to be building a new field and their land lays alot like Alexanders. I heard a company from down towards Vinton County built it and I was wondering if somebody from Alex can/will pass this info to me. Thanks!

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

int - You have a PM.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

With South Gallia doing the improvements they could really have a nice field. Its one of the nicest spots for a field I've seen.

throwitdown
Freshman Team

Post by throwitdown »

When I think of great fields in southeastern ohio there is one that sticks out above the rest: Waterford Field. The players love playing there, the coaches love coaching there, and the fans love watching baseball there.There is nothing quite like it. It is a special place.Visiting teams look forward to playing there every year, much like Yankee Stadium. There is a real mystique about playing there, with all the rich history and great players that have played on that field, it sends chills up your spine just to step foot upon Wildcat field. So when it comes to great fields, waterford's is in a league of their own.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

throwitdown wrote:When I think of great fields in southeastern ohio there is one that sticks out above the rest: Waterford Field. The players love playing there, the coaches love coaching there, and the fans love watching baseball there.There is nothing quite like it. It is a special place.Visiting teams look forward to playing there every year, much like Yankee Stadium. There is a real mystique about playing there, with all the rich history and great players that have played on that field, it sends chills up your spine just to step foot upon Wildcat field. So when it comes to great fields, waterford's is in a league of their own.

I think that comparing a high school field to Yankee Stadium is a bad comparison. But, Waterfords Field has got nothing on Fenway Park....

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

Isn't Minfords field one of the few with lights? Excellent grass there as well, Coach Martin and his staff have done a great job out there.

The_Sports_Junky
Varsity

Re:

Post by The_Sports_Junky »

BULDOG wrote:Wheelersburg does take care of their field. It would be nice to extend the fences. The dimensions are approximately 290' LF 345' LCF (deepest), CF probably 330' and 295' in RF I believe.

Regulator wrote:Wheelersburg ( Nice, but the 250 ft fences make it a launching pad. And everyone is in awe when the players have 10-12 homeruns) I know they are good hitters but come on!

You would be suprised to hear that not many HRs are hit at Burg's field. Last season only about 1/2 of the HRs were hit in their home park. Not many others hit them either even though it is a short fence.

I think Burg's Senior League field is better than the High School and I know they have the best hot dogs !!!!

thenino
Freshman Team

Post by thenino »

Minford has hands down the best ballpark in the area

mohawkbaseball#1
All Conference

Post by mohawkbaseball#1 »

I think Hegarty Feild, when at it's best, is the best diamond around

Return to “Baseball”