Wheelersburg, Portsmouth, Zane Trace Tri-Match 4/12/08

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Re: Wheelersburg, Portsmouth, Zane Trace Tri-Match 4/12/08

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

chilltown wrote:I stand corrected ..not sure who pitched for ZT..... I was going on Chilly 7-2 victory over the Burg in scrimmage.... I was not impressed by the Burg.... If ZT meets them in tourney I'll take ZT again ......best pitchers are saved for league games this time of year. However i'm impressed with the wins today .....

I was at the Burg/Chilli scrimmage and the Burg didn't show much in the scrimmage. Estep let everyone play and bat in that scrimmage I believe and I'd be willing to bet that if the Pirates played Chilli with just their starters it would be a very different outcome.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

chilltown wrote:I stand corrected ..not sure who pitched for ZT..... I was going on Chilly 7-2 victory over the Burg in scrimmage.... I was not impressed by the Burg.... If ZT meets them in tourney I'll take ZT again ......best pitchers are saved for league games this time of year. However i'm impressed with the wins today .....

I will admit I was not impressed by Burg at the Chilli scrimmage nor was I impressed with Chilli either in the early season. Chilli won the scrimmage in the last couple innings.

However, I have to say that the Pirates have stepped their game up a couple notches just this past week. The hitting is coming around nicely. You don't have 15+ HRs in 8 games by 7 different players and not be able to hit the baseball. That is what makes them such a threat at the plate. All 9+ are solid fundamental hitters. Also having 4 solid starters that can control a game, throw above 80 and 3 of them seniors is a huge asset. You can also add 2-3 others on the squad that can give Burg a couple solid innings when needed. Not to mention a top-notch senior catcher as well.

This Burg team has depth and is talented, very talented and it will be another nail biter if they square off against the Pioneers in the tourney.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Great job by the Pirates on Saturday.

In the 1st game they jumped out to an early 5-0 lead by the 3rd and never looked back. Russell was solid on the hill for the Pirates and kept the ZT batters off balance most of the day. Burg offense... WOW! 11 hits against the Pioneers. 3 HR's hit by the 3rd inning. Cannot recall but I think Hopper's were back to back ABs in the 1st and 3rd inning. Cook's followed and then Blevings. 3 of the 4 just cleared the 360' CF fence and were sky high. Hopper's 2nd was a no doubter as he took a middle-away FB and drove it over the RF fence near the 345' mark and it landed 20-30' up on the bank. I was also impressed by Spencer Hall as he continues to hit the ball solid in the DH role.

In the 2nd game no HR's against the Trojans but solid ABs by the Burg hitters produced 9 hits in the game. Many more hard groundballs and line drives hit in this game by the entire group. I was especially impressed with backup outfielder Zach Brown in this game going 3-3 at the plate driving in a couple runs on the day and making several nice plays in RF. IMO, Cook probably threw his best game of the year to date keeping the ball down in the zone. Offspeed stuff was working as well. Several K's on freezing the trojan hitters with his breaking ball.

Another good outcome is Burg only used 2 pitchers in this DH keeping the rest of the staff fresh for the upcoming week.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Wheelersburg is one of the better teams in Southern Ohio that I have seen in awhile. Zane Trace has not been getting cosistent pitching and it showed up against the Pirate sticks. One of the ZT's younger pitchers threw well in the second game when they bounced back to beat Portsmouth 10-4. It was a 6-4 game in the bottom of the sixth when Wonderleigh and Roberts went back-to-back.

Burg-ZT have had some epic battles in the tournament in recent years. Maybe again this season?

chilltown
JV Team

Post by chilltown »

All teams have bad games from time to time and the Burg probably had one of those was against the Cavs. It sounds as though the Pirates are clicking w/ the bats as well as pitching . I'm sure they will have a great year , I was just taking a pick of ZT over Burg thats all. As far as beating Chilly if we played again , I would tend to agree at this point.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

All I can say is yes Burg pitched their #1 against ZT and expected ZT to do the same. Maybe ZT was saving #1 for a league game but in my opinion this game was a good way to judge where each team stands at this point in the season. Why would you not throw your #1 to win a game like this? Maybe it is a clue to the depth of the ZT pitching staff. I would expect that ZT threw their #2 or #3 in this game.

Did Burg want to win this game? Absolutely! However one has to remember that Burg does have 3 senior pitchers in Russell, Wamsley and Cook that are fairly even and a sophomore in Elliott that throws almost as well. So using a #1 on Saturday does not hurt Burg this week with 3 league games on the schedule.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Anybody have a score on this evening's Portsmouth-Ironton game?

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

ZT has league games Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

A Saturday in April has nothing to do with a district game in late May.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

No reason to throw the ace right now, like Bozo said, when you have league play ahead of you. Yes, it's great to win a Saturday game, but to do so, while risking your pitching, isn't a good idea. Burg has 4 very solid starters, so that is understandable why they could pitch their ace.

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

Found this in the chilly paper you tell me what you think ?

Wheelersburg 14, Zane Trace 2 Zane Trace 10, Portsmouth 4
Two talented baseball programs landed in Kinnickinick Saturday to take on the Pioneers. One with a bit of revenge on mind.
After losing to ZT in the district finals last spring, Wheelersburg came to town and left with a 14-2 win.

"They threw the same kid against us (at districts)," said ZT coach Ron Allen. "I don't know if it was to prove a point but they are some of the best talent division III in the state of Ohio and that is why we play teams like that on Saturdays. If they want to throw their best guy against us that gets us better down the road."

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

I think he expected it and wants his teams to play the best.

backdoor54
Riding the Bench

Post by backdoor54 »

I doubt it was to prove a point. Coach probably just thought that with russell, cook, and wamsley that he could win the PHS game with his 2 or his 3, so he might as well throw the 1.

burgbacker
Riding the Bench

Post by burgbacker »

Or maybe with rain outs and such, that is just where the rotation fell?

I doubt that Wheelersburg would have wanted Russell to go 7-10 days between outings. Also, if he threw on Saturday, they could bring him back tonight against Minford for a league game.

I could be wrong..

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

burgbacker wrote:Or maybe with rain outs and such, that is just where the rotation fell?

I doubt that Wheelersburg would have wanted Russell to go 7-10 days between outings. Also, if he threw on Saturday, they could bring him back tonight against Minford for a league game.

I could be wrong..

Not you burgbacker. :lol:

Return to “Baseball”