WHEELERSBURG @ MINFORD 4/16/08

rxburgfan
All State

Re: WHEELERSBURG @ MINFORD 4/16/08

Post by rxburgfan »

with that score not much else to say. you have contenders and pretenders. talk is cheap but showing up and puttin' up speaks volumns. good win burg.

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

RogueWarrior1965 wrote:
burggrad82 wrote:Wheelersburg in 5 innings

Get real. This one will be a barn burner. Get there early.

The barn was burnt down by the fire shooting of the bats of the Pirates. Jordan another game pitched like a champion. I think Jordan and Adam went 4-4. I hate to say it but I told you so..

burggrad1986
Riding the Bench

Post by burggrad1986 »

the creek will rise tonight :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Oh my! :122246 Hopefully, next time around it will be a better game. Good luck to the Falcons.

burgboy
Freshman Team

Post by burgboy »

all i have to say is WOW.... where are all of the MIGHTY MINFORD FALCON fans now? I havent seen 1 post from them yet.... i would ask for someone to give me a rundown of the box score but that would probably take about an hour to type... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Just as I figured. FalconFan has run his mouth for the past month or so about how Minford was going to take down the Evil Empire, as he calls Wheelersburg, and after that 31-1 drubbing he has completely disappeared from the forum. Wheelersburg could have scored 40+ tonight if Estep didn't call off the dogs after being up by 14 or 15 runs. Hits that were obvious extra base hits were held to singles by the coach not letting runners advance more than one base at a time. I know that the Pirates batted around in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th innings and my have even in the 2nd but I can't say for sure. I believe that in the 5th inning the Pirates actually sent 16 or 17 batters to the plate. A rough guess would be that the Burg had close to if not more than 30 hits tonight.

Great win by the Pirates. They definitely showed who the cream of the crop is in the SOC II this year.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Wow!

I was pretty sure my 8-2 score was too close, but not that big of a difference.

Better go run those runs off in the gym after this one.

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

burgboy wrote:all i have to say is WOW.... where are all of the MIGHTY MINFORD FALCON fans now?

I just got home, so here I am and I am a Minford fan. Unless someone is a complete idiot, you know good and well when a game like this happens, it is due to mental breakdowns and giving up. Wheelersburg has a good team, but they are not that good (as in 30 runs better than Minford). Conversely, Minford has a good team and they are not that bad.

Unless you have no heart, it is painful to see any team suffer a defeat like that. Had the reverse happened, I can assure you I would not be gloating about it.

Let there be no mistake, Burg pounded the ball and had excellent pitching, but there is no team in the area that is truly 30 runs better than another, regardless of division.

As you all make your comments, keep in mind these are 16-18 year old kids and as much as I wish they did not, they read the comments that are written here and on the other sites.

If nothing else, hopefully we can all agree to wish the Falcons well on their trip to Nashville and pull for them to pick up a couple of victories there. Good luck Falcons.

honesty
Waterboy

Post by honesty »

give it to burg...their mindset and attitude compared to minfords is totally different...they played a great ball game today but still isnt a team that is better tahn 30 more runs than minford put up...only if minford had the mindset that burg had it could have been a lot better game...but no1 will know that until minford realizes that the way they play and think is the way that minford has to play and think also...congrats to burg on the win...they played the game with respect tonight...good luck to them in their next games

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

RogueWarrior1965 wrote:
burgboy wrote:all i have to say is WOW.... where are all of the MIGHTY MINFORD FALCON fans now?

I just got home, so here I am and I am a Minford fan. Unless someone is a complete idiot, you know good and well when a game like this happens, it is due to mental breakdowns and giving up. Wheelersburg has a good team, but they are not that good (as in 30 runs better than Minford). Conversely, Minford has a good team and they are not that bad.

Unless you have no heart, it is painful to see any team suffer a defeat like that. Had the reverse happened, I can assure you I would not be gloating about it.

Let there be no mistake, Burg pounded the ball and had excellent pitching, but there is no team in the area that is truly 30 runs better than another, regardless of division.

As you all make your comments, keep in mind these are 16-18 year old kids and as much as I wish they did not, they read the comments that are written here and on the other sites.

If nothing else, hopefully we can all agree to wish the Falcons well on their trip to Nashville and pull for them to pick up a couple of victories there. Good luck Falcons.

I agree that the Falcons gave up after they were down 8-0 after the Burg 2nd at bat. You could just see it in their actions and Coach Martin saw it too and pulled almost his entire starting lineup. Wheelersburg isn't 30 runs better than the Falcons, but they are the better team. The had better pitching, better hitting, better fielding, less errors, and better mental toughness and that's why they won this game so easily.

I know we probably shouldn't gloat about this game, but when you all have fans like FalconFan who has done nothing but run his mouth for the past month or so about how Minford was going to take down the "Evil Empire" and drub the Burg with every breath he takes it makes it a little easier to come on here and gloat a little. Just like you say the kids read this forum, i'm sure all the Burg kids have seen all of his comments as well and they took this as an opportunity to make a statement and they did.

I wish the Falcons the best of luck in Nashville and the rest of the season except for the rematch in the Burg at the end of the month. I'm sure Caoch Martin will have then put this one behind them and get back on the winning track in no time.

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Thanks Burg_Grad. As I am sure you know, we all cannot be held responsible for the comments that are made by others and it is appreciated that you recognize the impact posts on here can have. Wheelersburg should be proud of their team and likewise, I wish them well until we meet in Wheelersburg in a few weeks.

Thanks for your well wishes for the Nashville trip. I have no doubt Minford will represent the SOC well.

thenino
Freshman Team

Post by thenino »

This is definitely a hard pill to swallow.. Coming into today's game, I don't think that ANYONE would have thought Burg would win by over 10 runs, let alone 30! I was at the game and had to leave after the 4th inning-it was that ridiculous. Minford had several fielding errors, which I said would be the downfall of them in this game if they didn't clean up their defense, which cost them several runs. Minford was down 1-0 in the bottom of the 2nd inning and couldn't even execute on a rundown, although at one time burg had two runners on 3rd base and a Minford defender had the ball. That out would have prevented 7 runs from scoring. Routine pop-ups hit the ground and I think Coach Martin gave up on 'Torch' Johnson a little too early. Cook came in in relief and gave up around 15 runs before Martin removed him from the game, along with the rest of the starters. The game got really out of hand after that and Burg scored 15 or so more runs.

On the other hand, a lot of credit has to go to Wheelersburg. Russell had an excellent outing tonight and held Minford scoreless in 2 or 3 innings (can't remember). Burg also played with a lot of class as Coach Estep began to hold his runners on base after being up 15 runs. The Pirates hit the ball extremely well and played excellent defense. In order to win Minford was going to have to keep the ball low and get ground balls, which they failed to do. The pitchers left the ball up and Burg made them pay by hitting shots up the middle. When we DID get the ball low and away, Wheelersburg still found a way to put a bat on the ball and bloop them to opposite field.

The Falcons don't have another game until next Monday where they take on the Oak Hill Oaks. I'm sure Coach Martin will have them out there fixing these 'necessary' errors. Good Luck in your next game and may God be with you at practice!!

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

[quote="thenino"]Cook came in in relief and gave up around 15 runs before Martin removed him from the game, along with the rest of the starters. The game got really out of hand after that and Burg scored 15 or so more runs. [quote]

The game was out of hand way before then. I don't know for sure, but I don't think Burg scored as many runs after the starters were pulled. Of course, that was mainly due to the runners going station to station.

thenino
Freshman Team

Post by thenino »

RogueWarrior1965 wrote:
thenino wrote:Cook came in in relief and gave up around 15 runs before Martin removed him from the game, along with the rest of the starters. The game got really out of hand after that and Burg scored 15 or so more runs.

The game was out of hand way before then. I don't know for sure, but I don't think Burg scored as many runs after the starters were pulled. Of course, that was mainly due to the runners going station to station.

Yes, this is true, but I meant even MORE out of hand than it already was. When Cook left the game, Minford had no hope of even fighting back to not get mercy ruled. The players were frustrated and seemed to give up way before that, so yes, the damage was already done. But it got a lot worse after that. They might have taken the starters out after Burg had already scored 20 or so runs, I don't really remember, I was too busy picking sunflower seeds out of my hair!

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:Just as I figured. FalconFan has run his mouth for the past month or so about how Minford was going to take down the Evil Empire, as he calls Wheelersburg, and after that 31-1 drubbing he has completely disappeared from the forum. Wheelersburg could have scored 40+ tonight if Estep didn't call off the dogs after being up by 14 or 15 runs. Hits that were obvious extra base hits were held to singles by the coach not letting runners advance more than one base at a time. I know that the Pirates batted around in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th innings and my have even in the 2nd but I can't say for sure. I believe that in the 5th inning the Pirates actually sent 16 or 17 batters to the plate. A rough guess would be that the Burg had close to if not more than 30 hits tonight.

Great win by the Pirates. They definitely showed who the cream of the crop is in the SOC II this year.

Well Burg Grad 77, I didn't disappear. I went to my local fishing hole right after the game if you must know. Anyway, just because my Minford Falcons beat today doesn't mean that I don't stand by them. I said what I said and it was wrong. But, I won't just turn my back on my alma mater. I love Minford. As for the game, tough loss for the Falcons, get prepared now for Oak Hill.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Wow!!!! Great win by the Pirates. This was the first game that I have gotten to see and quite an offensive showing by the Burg. Pirates hit alot of balls hard and then they also hit alot of balls that just happened to find a hole.

Russell pitched a whale of game. He had very good command of his pitches.

If Burg can hit like this come tourney time and trust me, I know the pitching will be stronger, they could make some serious noise.

Hopefully Burg will be able to put this game behind them and not get the big head and go out and lose a game they shouldn't. I think this team has enough Senior leadership on it that something like that won't happen.

The Minford players need to hold their heads up. Games like this only happen once in a blue moon and for them it just had to be today. I went to this game fully expecting a very close ballgame. Never thought this would happen. Good luck this weekend in Nashville. Let them know how good of ball the boys from Ohio can play.

As for Falconfan, no need to respond to any of his comments. The Pirates more than did that today.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Wow, when I seen the score posted earlier that it was 31-1 in the first I thought that someone was just joking around. I thought this would have been a pretty decent game to watch and thought bout heading out that way during the East softball game but decided not to. Could this be a state record 31 runs in a game?

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

46 is the record. the burg does have quite a few individuals that are listed in the record book.

Catch24
JV Team

Post by Catch24 »

Tartanblue, this is from the Ohio High School State Baseball Records:
Fremont Ross vs. Toledo Scott had a total of 46 runs in that game (1981)

Fremont Ross vs. Toledo Scott in 1981 was a sectional tournament game-Fremont Ross 46 Toldeo Scott 0. 36 hits by Fremont Ross, 10 triples and 9 doubles. No home runs. Scott Logan and John Rios teamed up to throw a no hitter. The only two baserunner for Toledo Scott was 1 walk and a hits batter.

I have not got the final word on how many hits we had, but the guy from the Daily Times told me he had 32 hits for Wheelersburg. If that is true, then with however hits Minford had, this game might have made the state record for hits in a game.

Ironically, number 3 on that list is 30 hits which was Wheelersburg vs. New Boston Glenwood (4/29/1986).

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Great execution by the Pirates tonight. Everyone contibuted in one way or another as every player in the lineup I know had at least 1 solid hit ball. This team is special, they have the senior leadership, pitching, defense and offense to make a long run. If they can add in a little luck at the right time, it could be a dream season for this bunch.

As for the Falcons, tough day and even tougher loss. I agree that Burg is not 30 runs better, but they are from 1 thru 15 an all around better team. Tough loss for the seniors and Coach Martin. I know getting up this morning they have to feel dissappointed and hurt. Minford is a solid ball club and it will be interesting how this team responds to this loss. Pick up the pieces and put them back in place and move forward with the season. I wish Coach Martin and the Minford Falcons good luck in Nashville, and the rest of the season. Represent Scioto County well.

Lets look for a better game at Burg in a couple weeks.

Oh and WNXT and PDT did mention this morning that the 32 hits are 2nd in OHSAA history.

Return to “Baseball”