WHEELERSBURG @ MINFORD 4/16/08

JoeGatto
JV Team

Re: WHEELERSBURG @ MINFORD 4/16/08

Post by JoeGatto »

Sorry to interrupt the game talk, but I have a quick question. Why is Minford allowed to travel to Nashville to play games this weekend? According the the OHSAA baseball rule book (section pasted below) that's against the rules...unless I'm reading it wrong.

2) Out of State Travel
A baseball team may travel out of state to compete in contest scrimmages, previews and
games in states or provinces in Canada that are contiguous to Ohio regardless of distance
to travel. The states include Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania and West
Virginia.
The province includes Ontario. Additionally, a baseball team may travel out of
state one time per sport per interscholastic season to compete in states or provinces in
Canada that are not contiguous to Ohio provided there is no loss of school time.
A baseball team may not travel out of state to practice.

JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

Ah nevermind....I see that I have definitely read the rule wrong. Here's the catch phrase of the rule that allows them to go (if they're not missing school time):

Additionally, a baseball team may travel out of
state one time per sport per interscholastic season to compete in states or provinces in
Canada that are not contiguous to Ohio provided there is no loss of school time.

My bad. Continue with the game talk.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

It is all official and the trip the boys are taking is 100% cleared and legit.

I wont disclaim to you how it is, but if you knew 100% what was going on you would understand.

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

Coach Michael Estep just continues to maintain such a high level of play at Wheelersburg. I know that he didn't begin their "DYNASTY" as that happened during Jack Branon's reign as the Pirate skipper, but Coach Estep has been outstanding during his years.

Congratulations to the Pirates and to Coach E.

volsfan
Freshman Team

Post by volsfan »

Well, never knew that this website existed until a few weeks ago, after reading this site, makes sense now why so little information was on the Huddle anymore, so finally decided to become a member using my old Huddle name. I hope some of you don't mind!

I felt bad about not being able to be at Bryan's game against Minford, as we traveled up north to watch Brandon play in their first match up against Kent State. I really thought that the game would be a pretty good game. When I called back home I couldn't not believe what I was hearing as the score. Burg is a well oiled machine right now! Keep it going, season should be a long one!

burgfan2
Waterboy

Post by burgfan2 »

volsfan, that was a nice article about Brandon in the paper today. He deserved what he did yesterday and I hope the Kent State coach is kicking himself for letting him go now.

Catch24
JV Team

Post by Catch24 »

Volsfan, the huddle sucks! SEOP is where it's at now. I however "almost" kept my huddle name, but decided to change it :122245

Great to see that about Brandon. Can't wait to see him on Wednesday.

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

I was at the game in minford Weds. I think the First inning gave false hope to minford when the Johnson boy mostly shut down the pirates that inning. Then he came out the second inning and lost all control and walked the bases loaded and from their the pirates bats took over and pounded out 8 runs in the second. On the other side of the ball Russell shut them down with no runs and no hits through 2. then the dam broke and the burg put up 8 more in the third. and minford could only plate 1 run on 1 hit. thats what broke the spirt of the team and the fans. not closing any ground in the third thats was it. I think its time that Wheelersburg starts to get some credit as possiably being one of the best teams in the state and teams in this district are going to have a hard time stopping them. The only thing that will beat wheelersburg will be sloppy play and big heads. If you have seen them play you have to admit that they have all the tools to win however they need to, if it means hitting a homerun in the bottom of the seventh to break a tie game or taking a team out early by scoring 16 runs in 3 innings they can do it day after day after day. Minford is coached by one of the best coaches in the state of ohio. The minford fans should be proud to have him in Minford, the two boys that live in my and thier mothers house owe Tim Martin more than they could ever repay. He is a class act and will help any kid that asks Minford player or not. We will see the Falcons again at the end of the season I would bet it won't be a repeat of Weds. game.
Last edited by burggrad82 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

I want to know who broke the pact and told volsfan about this forum, thier goes the nieborhood ................ lol

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

:12224

Catch24
JV Team

Post by Catch24 »

You know, people are talking about the Pirate bats (and it's hard not to) but Jordan Russell, Adam Wamsley, Dustin Cook and Andrew Elliot have been doing an outstanding job on the hill, making the pitches, changing speeds and going at hitters. That helps when you have the confidence to throw certain pitches because your catcher (Daniel Armstrong) knows how to call a game and will block the balls in the dirt.

One game at a time. Our goal right now is to go to Oak Hill, make the plays, swing the bats and make sure we compete and get better all in the same night. Again, one game at a time.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

BG82... Yes Coach Martin is a 100% class act. We got to know him over the winter months and he without a doubt loves and lives the game of baseball. He has higher goals more than just being a HS baseball coach at Minford. He is in it for the players and will help anyone from any school reach their goal of playing at the next level.

And c24 is correct. Burg pitchers have been solid in the early season. A testament to the summer and winter work these kids have put in. Armstrong is the top catcher in the county and has improved his game over the last couple seasons. A huge plus in tight games with the ability to keep runners in check. Speaking of the bats, if the Burg offense can give these 4 pitchers a 4-5 run lead, more often than not, Burg will come out of it with a win.

volsfan
Freshman Team

Post by volsfan »

Well, I heard Bryan talking about something that was on the internet, I assumed the Huddle, then got on the huddle to read it and no one was there anymore, so a few weeks went by and then I remembered to ask him, you know me, it takes me a few years but then I catch up. So Bryan broke the pact. Use to not even know how to turn on a computer, now look at me, sending e-mails, getting kicked off of forums, thanks to the boys I even got a blackberry in which I do not know how to use, but am taking a training class!!

I did find a new forum, Yappi, so have been over there getting all of those northern Ohions fired up! Some of them are extremely uptight, must be all the snow. My name there is Newzip.

Brandon is so excited that he is gonna get to see everyone, and hopefully get to play on Wed. I believe he will be playing in the outfield, but atleast he is on the field helping out.

But what about those Pirates, gotta get it done this season, and I think they can and will.

Return to “Baseball”