CAVS BASEBALL - Does the administration care?????

GO CAVS!
Riding the Bench

CAVS BASEBALL - Does the administration care?????

Post by GO CAVS! »

I just wonder if anyone cares about the Cavalier baseball program? I'm talking about the one's that are in charge. For example; The baseball field is now an after thought. It was used as a construction site and not put back together, now the team has not had a home field for the second straight year. What happens if the Paints are sold and the new owner is not as nice to let them use the VA field? How long has the basball coach been there and what is his career record? The season is year round like all the other sports, not just from March to May!!! Is this promoted at CHS? Is there any pride in the baseball program? This has to start at the top of the athletic department. The majority of sports at Chillicothe has higher expectations, why not the baseball program????? I don't have a child on the team, just a concerned fan. Any thoughts?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: CAVS BASEBALL - Does the administration care?????

Post by danicalifornia »

They needed to get away from that field, IMO. Balmer(Bomber, whatever) Field is much better, so is 757's field. It would be nice for them to have a set home field though, not switching venues every night.

Coach Dunn has been there, seemingly, forever. He has the longest tenure of any of the Chillicothe-area coaches. I know they reached the Regional Finals in 1994, but not sure if he would have an overall winning record.

dawescpa
Riding the Bench

Post by dawescpa »

Baseball at CHS is an after thought. I have talked and talked to many people concerning the field. They are looking at a facilities plan to make all facilities better. My argument from 3 years ago has been stated to board members and to the administration. It is a simple and common sense argument, and it is this... There was a field prior to construction, there should be a field post construction in the same condition as it was prior to construction. I can not imagine the gym or the football field to be left in disarray for 3 seasons. I also understand that baseball is not a revenue generating sport. My position on all of this as an avid baseball fan is if they can not support the sport the way it should be supported then drop it and don't support it at all. I have stated this exact postion to others, this is not a new position on my part. It is embarassing that we have kids who love and respect the sport of baseball, and who practice and work just as long and hard as the other sports do, and yet there is absolute zero support from the admin. As far as pride, I can tell you the coaching staff and our kids do take pride in baseball, it may not be showing in wins and losses but we are there busting it every night. How many out there realize the effects of not having a program 3 seasons ago? What about not having a practice field? Do you realize we don't get the chance to have bullpen sessions with our pitchers, no live batting practice where our fielders can take flies or grounders off the bat, no base running, etc. etc. This could be conceived as an excuse but those that really know the process and the game understand what is being missed here. I for one believe our kids that have chose to play should be held in high regard, they are truly playing for the right reasons.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I understand you wanting a field of your own..but I love watching games at Paints field......and now I hear you even have a White Castle in Chilly :aaaaa57

see you tonight 8)

SENDEM
All Conference

Post by SENDEM »

I would keep the Paints Field an get rid of the White Castle!! IMO the Paints Stadium is the BEST in Southern Ohio bar none!

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

biggdowgg wrote:I understand you wanting a field of your own..but I love watching games at Paints field......and now I hear you even have a White Castle in Chilly :aaaaa57

However, not all of their home games are played at the VA and they do not have a practice field. Not to mention, it is just nice to have a place called home. When I played high school ball (back in the day :-D ), our home field flooded every spring and in 4 years of varsity baseball, we only played 4 games at home, not to mention hardly any field time for practice. Yet we somehow managed to win the SOC (it must have been those multiplied thousands of rag balls we hit in the gym). It just makes you wonder how good we could have been if we had the facilities. Our track team was the same way as we did not have a track, yet sent athletes to the regionals and State practically every year. It was only due to the dedication, hard work and hearts of the players and coaches that we were successful, not the school. Matter of fact, I was reflecting back with my son this evening about the bat we used having a crack in it, so we turned it around so we would not hit the ball on the crack. Granted, we did not have Stealth technology then, but it would have been nice to have a new bat, or at least some that were not cracked (not sure how Blue never caught that, by the way).

All that being said, it was 25 years ago for me and it still sucks knowing you played a sport that you poured your heart into and it gets little if any support from the school in regards to facilities. I feel for these kids and hopefully CHS wakes up and puts the money back into the field that was torn up by the contractors during the construction phase. Surely there is enough construction money to pay for that, isn't there? Also, didn't the Chillicothe School Board cancel spring sports a few years back as well due to financial woes? I think spring sports has suffered enough at CHS and it is time to put some of the TAXPAYER money into the baseball field so these kids have a place to practice and play.

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

Sounds like the school board needs to step up to the plate and build a field or renovate one 757 feild is a nice field, so is 62. Why don't they make a deal and help out with one of those fields. The boys need a field they can be proud of and call home. Part of high school baseball is working on the field after a game raking the dirt filling in the holes, ect... the work makes it home. I hope the Board shows the boys the care about them and solves the problem.

dawescpa
Riding the Bench

Post by dawescpa »

Rogue and Burg

Thank you for your support, I don't want to sound like I am whining. However, Chris Hanners has been most gracious allowing us to use the VA for 8 home games this year. Post 757 organization has also been most gracious allowing us to play games on the other 4 home dates. But..... neither allow us to practice there, nor will The City Parks & Rec at Bolmer. So, we are throwing bullpens and hitting in cages in the gym all spring. We took the kids out on the field last week and hit. It is not our kids fault, they should be supported.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

call Unioto I'm sure they would let you practice there after Unioto HS Finished.

chilltown
JV Team

Post by chilltown »

This has been a very ,very disappointing year for Cav baseball. The non-support of these kids by the administration is frustrating to say the least. These kids deserve better . It is hard to get your fundamentals down ,when you have no field to practice on .

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is downright embarrassing.

Onthefence
Freshman Team

Post by Onthefence »

I am not a Chillicothe person and be honest am not even a big baseball fan (Sorry Guys). Anyway, I do live in the area and drive by the Chillicothe baseball field just about every day. I assumed that after the construction the field would be at least partially renovated. That does not appear to be happening. Chillicothe claims to want to attract student on open enrolement/transfers E.T.C. Theres a lot of very good baseball players in the area. Kind of missing an opportunity to attract some students. Anyway good luck guys. Looks like you have an uphill battle..

beezee420
Freshman Team

Post by beezee420 »

this is a very unfortunate situation for these kids. they have a new school and all that comes with it, but yet they can't do anything to the baseball field. i know that Hansel field wasn't the best field in the area but at least it was home. you always knew that you would be playing all of your home games there. i'm hoping that the school board will step up and do something about this. these kids deserve a field that they can call home.

dawescpa
Riding the Bench

Post by dawescpa »

CAVS win 6-5 vs Athens in the DOC games. I saw it in our kids eyes tonight for the first time this year. Field or no field, administartion support or no support, the kids are getting better and we have now won 3 out of our last 5, 9-14 overall. Codey Speakman did a great job coming in the 4th inning with the bases loaded. He pitched the last 3 1/3 innings not giving up a run. Seth continues to stay hot his last 15 games or so with a double off the fence following a 2-4 against ZT, and caught one of his best games behind the dish. Tyler Carey had a double and RBI. Zach Glendenning had a hit and a game saving diving catch in the 7th inning with 2 outs. Derrick Webb hit a 3 run johnson to get us ahead in the second and played a solid 3B making some nice plays. Aaron Ragland stepped up and gave us a pinch hit RBI. A good win for our club and hopefully we stay with it and get another 2 or 3 in the tournament.

chilltown
JV Team

Post by chilltown »

Cody always seems to come in w/ bases loaded and usually works his magic.Good to see D Webb take it deep. Great win for Cavs. Hopefully we are getting hot at the right time.

beezee420
Freshman Team

Post by beezee420 »

congrats to the Cavs on the victory. Good Luck in the tournament and lets have a deep run as well. GO CAVS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Army
S

Post by Army »

bman618 wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree concerning our Field :!:

By the way, congratulations on the victory at Athens last night CAVS :!:

Army
S

Post by Army »

Army wrote:
bman618 wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree concerning our Field :!:

By the way, congratulations on the victory at Athens last night CAVS :!:

Good luck in tournament play.

GO CAVS :!: :-D

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Congrats to the Cavs on the victory yesterday over Athens in the DOC.

As I add in my two-cents (not worth much these days) about the sad state of spring sports, I will get dumped in hot water.

First, I can assure you that not all people are even on board for the Basketball program that just won the 1st Boys State B-Ball Championship in Ross County.

Second, I can assure you that there are people in leadership that pass the hot potatoe everytime it comes their way.

Third, I can assure you that as passionate as our coaches and players are, that passion is not even considered by many in leadership.

It is a sad state of affairs that we have children that cannot even enjoy the "whole" aspect of the High School Experience. Whether it is the Debate Team, Drama Club, Chorus versus Baseball or Tennis, every kid should be able to have the best opportunity to be successful. Until Chillicothe gets the mindset that we are supposed to be leaders, we are supposed to be example setters and teachers, then we will suffer. I believe we are sending our children a bad message. Apathy is not good and should not be accepted.

Yes, we had issues with levies and losing students. Quit talking about it and do something. There are people willing and able to help, but someone has to give a rats rear end in the admin.

Good luck to the Cavs over the rest of the season!!!!

GO CAVS!!!

Return to “Baseball”