SOC 1 and SOC II for 2009

OneBunter
Freshman Team

SOC 1 and SOC II for 2009

Post by OneBunter »

Okay, all you baseball fans out there how do you see each of the leagues playing out for the upcoming 2009 season?

alabama mike
SE

Re: SOC 1 and SOC II for 2009

Post by alabama mike »

In the SOC II, Wheelersburg, is still the team to beat with Waverly, IMO, being the top competition followed by Minford. Yes, we lost a lot of seniors but we have a very talented group returning. We also had some players who played JV last year who will step right in and compete. The Program is in good shape all the way down to the junior high level.

volsfan
Freshman Team

Post by volsfan »

Heard we will have a new coach added to the Burg staff, Mr. Andy Heinbach (not sure it that is spelled correctly) , but we all know the name, and what he can bring to the program.

The Punisher
Riding the Bench

Post by The Punisher »

Look out for the Eastern Eagles this year!
They will be quite beastly this year.

swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

SOCII

wheelersburg
waverly
minford
south webster

the rest can be shuffled

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Andy Heimbach

Former Head Coach at Teays Valley (D1) for the last six years.
He now teaches at Wheelersburg.

OneBunter
Freshman Team

Post by OneBunter »

It amazes me that when you have two divisions of one league how only one gets the PR. Granted the SOC II has some darn good teams and athletes, but there are just as good a teams and athletes in the SOC I.

I feel this year Notre Dame, Symmes Valley, Green will be extremely tough competitors in the SOC I, but with what Eastern has coming back and the names I have heard interested in playing, Eastern may turn many heads this year.

I am anxiously waiting to see who Coach Martin has on the roster this year. It sounds if he may have enough interest that we might have a JV team. Wouldn't that me nice.

Also heard he is trying to get a Junior High program going, but money is an issue.

I am sure Coach Martin is trying his best to develop these programs, but we all know one man can not accomplish these things alone. I think the saying on the back of the shirts last year read "Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much".

I have heard many positive things through this site and through the air and I hope we as a community get behind this program and this man. It sounds as if he has the program heading in the upward direction.

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

OneBunter wrote:I am anxiously waiting to see who Coach Martin has on the roster this year. It sounds if he may have enough interest that we might have a JV team. Wouldn't that me nice.

Also heard he is trying to get a Junior High program going, but money is an issue.

I am sure Coach Martin is trying his best to develop these programs, but we all know one man can not accomplish these things alone. I think the saying on the back of the shirts last year read "Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much".

I have heard many positive things through this site and through the air and I hope we as a community get behind this program and this man. It sounds as if he has the program heading in the upward direction.

I am assuming this is not Coach Martin from Minford as Minford has had both for some time.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

[quote="OneBunter] Granted the SOC II has some darn good teams and athletes, but there are just as good a teams and athletes in the SOC I. [/quote]

The SOC I does have some good athletes but overall, the SOC I is very weak. This is not a slam on the team but just a fact. When you have a school that has more boys, you have a better selection of talent to pick the team. D I not only is the biggest schools, it is has the best overall talent because of the quality of competition they play. For each division you move up or down the level of overall competition increases or decreases.

roundingthird
JV Team

Post by roundingthird »

In SOC II Burg is the champ until someone knocks them off. I just do not see how they can win the league this year after losing basically their whole starting lineup(I belive they return 3 starters?). Waverly gave them all they wanted in both games last year, and this year I look for the Tigers to take the league. Waverly only lost 3 starters last year, and have a very good crew coming back.

I agree Burg probably does have some talent coming up from the Jv team but I don't feel it is enough for them to compete with Waverly.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I think Minford and Waverly will battle it out for the SOC Crown and Valley will be a surprising team this year. I cant remember the last time that Shuler has had too many disappointing season in a row.

Both Coach Martin and Shuler have done great things for alot of the local talent on the diamond the past few years as they have been doing pitching (Martin) and hitting (Schuler) instruction with most of the boys that were being looked at to play on past the high school level. Both deserve props for working through the winter time with boys from other schools that they would soon have to compete with during the spring season. That doesnt matter to them as they are more concerned with getting talent to the next level.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Burg
Waverly
Minford/Valley/West
Northwest

I think Waverly has the best looking team as they return alot of experience to the field and probably the top pitcher in Roberson. Valley as well and I think they would be a sleeper to win the SOC. Coach Schuler will get the most out of this team. West return experience also and will ride the arm of Bricker. Just not enough to win the league. Not sure about Minford as they lost alot of talent but return the likes of Oesch and a few others with experience. Coach Martin will have Minford ready to play. Not sure about NW but hope they are competitive with a new coach.

Do not count Burg out as they return 7 seniors (3 pitchers) and solid junior and sophomore classes. Many of the spot players for Burg would have started if not for the large talented senior class of 2008. They could field any of the 13-14 roster players last season and not give up much in the game. Several of those spot players did hit well above .400 on the season. Lack of varsity experience is an issue as is pitching. Elliott will move to #1 in the rotation and posted a couple shutouts last season and will keep the runs down. Need one ot two more pitchers to step into the starting rotation. IMO Burgs offense should be as potent as last season. Returning 2 two-time all district players in Hopper and White. Many solid hitters on this squad including Elliott, Kemper, Leach, Brown, Boyer, Montavan. I look for a couple sophomores to get a good look and be able to contribute when needed. Would not suprise me if Burg would win another SOC crown.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Was really impressed with the Stegman kid last year. This kid could help out alot on the Mound

Eagle_2
Waterboy

Post by Eagle_2 »

Okay. Granted SOC has very dominating players and teams. I know you weren't putting Eastern down or anything but if I am not mistaken when Eastern had a Double-header at Minford. Minford about lost the first game to them and were down by a few going into the last 2 innings. During the second game before Minford took a commanding lead, Eastern's catcher Stump went out because of his leg or foot on a sliding play at home while he was catching. They brought Brett Burner in too catch with a injured shoulder. With Stump having to go out I think it completely messed up their defensive rotation. I think Eastern could have contented in the second game if Stump wouldn't have been injured, and Eastern wouldn't have had to mix up their Defensive rotation.

baseball guy
Waterboy

Post by baseball guy »

I would have to agree with the majority. I have to put Wheelersburg at the top until somebody knocks them off. Waverly will be right behind them with Valley and Minford close too.

sportsfan_1959
JV Team

Post by sportsfan_1959 »

Pitching will be a problem for Valley in my opinion.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

We never overlook Burg or any of the teams in the soc 2 league for that matter, the league is to strong for that.
Waverly should be pretty strong this yr and Coach Noble will have his guys working hard again. They were a tough play last yr, and very young so expectations are high this yr.
As for the soc 1 if you want people to talk about them then get them on here and talk, this is a thread for both but just happens its the people from soc 2 schools that are getting on here and talking its not personal its just the schools we follow and know about.

catscoachmac
Riding the Bench

Post by catscoachmac »

Hoping to be a sleeper down here in Bobcat land in the SOC I. Lost 4 quality seniors last year and may not be getting some returning starters back this year for various reasons. Add to that not enough numbers for a JV team last year and that equals inexperience. Just hoping the kids bring some grit and desire into the gym come Feb. 23rd.
Good luck to all and let's hope for dry weather EARLY in March.

m_martin
Riding the Bench

Post by m_martin »

Eagle_2 wrote:Okay. Granted SOC has very dominating players and teams. I know you weren't putting Eastern down or anything but if I am not mistaken when Eastern had a Double-header at Minford. Minford about lost the first game to them and were down by a few going into the last 2 innings. During the second game before Minford took a commanding lead, Eastern's catcher Stump went out because of his leg or foot on a sliding play at home while he was catching. They brought Brett Burner in too catch with a injured shoulder. With Stump having to go out I think it completely messed up their defensive rotation. I think Eastern could have contented in the second game if Stump wouldn't have been injured, and Eastern wouldn't have had to mix up their Defensive rotation.

a win is a win though......we let them think that they could hang with us and they did just that....the injury hurt them quite a bit but the game was a total blow out....we knew we were a better team and came out and proved it the second game

deweese3
Riding the Bench

Post by deweese3 »

or it could of been the first game we pitched 1 of are top 3 pitchers thats why we stayed close and the 2nd we pitched everyone else just trying to find someone that could help us in the none conference games. i really dont think the injury would of mad a diffrence

Return to “Baseball”