2015 TVC - Ohio Baseball

gametime
SE

Re: 2015 TVC - Ohio Baseball

Post by gametime »

What do numbers look like across the TVC-Ohio? Will the day ever come that SE Ohio schools field 'Frosh' teams like a lot of schools in more urban areas have? Is it a numbers issue or a financial issue?

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Many schools still to this day struggle to field the numbers for a Junior Varsity Team...

Also, with the way things are now schools dont want to see Freshman Baseball or Softball...

They would have to pay another Coach, schedule games for them on days where either the JV or Varsity isn't playing. They would have to pay for Umpires for 10 or 15 more games and then try to fit Practice Time in for the Freshman Team...

Even though it would improve the kids playing the Sport, the Powers that be do not want to see it...

bigblue allday
Freshman Team

Post by bigblue allday »

I hear Athens is going to be down this year with 5 of last years starters not playing because of coaching

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

TTomcat99 wrote:I hear Athens is going to be down this year with 5 of last years starters not playing because of coaching
For the Record...

Athens will be just fine...

Only 2 boys were Full-Time Starters last Season and both have chosen to Focus on Football. One was a Senior and the other was Junior.
The Senior is going to try and play Football in College. Neither has to do with Coaching...

Two Part-Time Starters both have chosen to Focus on Football. One was a Senior and the other a Junior.

One boy suffered a Shoulder injury in his last Hockey game and decided that he didn't want to take a spot from someone that could play...not an issue with a Coach...

Again, this is someone trying to stir the pot. What we have here is the Football Bug striking. The days of Multi-Sport Athletes are quickly coming to an end once kids reach High School...

coach_k
JV Team

Post by coach_k »

TTomcat99 wrote:I hear Athens is going to be down this year with 5 of last years starters not playing because of coaching
I definitely don't think it would be because of Coaching, Athens has two of the best Coaches in the TVC Ohio, both on and off the field....But being from Meigs and as much as I hate to say it....It doesn't hurt my feelings that they are losing talent on a competitive note...lol

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

No worries Coach K...

We can be civil and competitive...I expect Two Great Teams in Meigs and Athens this season...

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

questionmark wrote:
For the Record...

Only 2 boys were Full-Time Starters last Season and both have chosen to Focus on Football. One was a Senior and the other was Junior.
The Senior is going to try and play Football in College. Neither has to do with Coaching...

Two Part-Time Starters both have chosen to Focus on Football. One was a Senior and the other a Junior.

One boy suffered a Shoulder injury in his last Hockey game and decided that he didn't want to take a spot from someone that could play...not an issue with a Coach...

Again, this is someone trying to stir the pot. What we have here is the Football Bug striking. The days of Multi-Sport Athletes are quickly coming to an end once kids reach High School...
http://www.ncsasports.org/blog/2014/03/ ... l-athletes

The trend toward "focusing" on one sport isn't backed up by any data suggesting that helps an athlete, indeed it is just the opposite, this link is just one of hundred or so that indicate coaches actually prefer multi-sport athletes when recruiting. An article in the Dispatch as I recall just recently indicated over 80% of the latest from Urban's 2015 class were multi-sport and if you consider all D1 and D2 coaches that percentage is pretty much the same.

It is High School, time of your life lol, play everything you can play.

Tyler_Durden
Freshman Team

Post by Tyler_Durden »

questionmark wrote:
For the Record...

come on man we all know it's always about the coaching, lol. "ME" players always blame the coaching, from the peewee leagues on up.

seriously, nothing but class acts in athens. you win some and you lose some. hard to find quality people that put the kind of time in and have the kind of love for the game and the kids as those guys do. there will always be naysayers and people who get their feathers ruffled for one reason or another. the last thing you want to do is give up on good, quality men who respect the game and coach it the right way.

coach_k
JV Team

Post by coach_k »

19 More Days til Kickoff, Come on already!!!

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

http://www.ncsasports.org/blog/2014/03/ ... l-athletes

The trend toward "focusing" on one sport isn't backed up by any data suggesting that helps an athlete, indeed it is just the opposite, this link is just one of hundred or so that indicate coaches actually prefer multi-sport athletes when recruiting. An article in the Dispatch as I recall just recently indicated over 80% of the latest from Urban's 2015 class were multi-sport and if you consider all D1 and D2 coaches that percentage is pretty much the same.

It is High School, time of your life lol, play everything you can play.[/quote]

I agree with this 100%. The year round focus on one sport does more harm to a school than good and i am seeing 4th and 5th graders doing this now thanks to ignorant parents and being influenced by coaches that were former pros themselves.

yellowjacket
Freshman Team

Post by yellowjacket »

does anyone know when and where meigs has scrimmages?

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

yellowjacket wrote:does anyone know when and where meigs has scrimmages?
They have one tomorrow at Southern starting at 5:00.

coach_k
JV Team

Post by coach_k »

Yes today at 5:00 at Southern.

Friday at Logan
Saturday Home against Miller
Tuesday Home against Oak Hill.

yellowjacket
Freshman Team

Post by yellowjacket »

thanks coach k

yellowjacket
Freshman Team

Post by yellowjacket »

how did they look against southern tonight?

coach_k
JV Team

Post by coach_k »

yellowjacket wrote:how did they look against southern tonight?
Looked really good, Started out slow in the offensive side of the ball. Southern Pitchers had a bad inning in the 3rd where they hit 3 batters and walked many more.
I lost track of the score...I know Meigs was in double digits and Southern had 2.

Meigs is a very young team. 2 Freshmen started on the infield (Mattox and Helton)
Meigs Pitching was pretty good. Cameron Mattox started and pitched 2 Innings, Chase Whitlach pitched 2 Innings, Cody Bartrum, Christian Mattox and Zach Helton each pitched an Inning.

All in all it was a nice scrimmage and the first scrimmage, many things could change and both teams got to see a lot of their players play.

And oh my gosh it was cold up on the river.

coach_k
JV Team

Post by coach_k »

Meigs Baseball travels to Logan this evening for it's 2nd scrimmage of the Season.....Go Meigs!!!

coach_k
JV Team

Post by coach_k »

Oak Hill traveling to Meigs tonight for the last scrimmage before the season opener this weekend....Go Meigs.

Alexander hitman
Varsity

Post by Alexander hitman »

The Spartans are well on the way to the league title again .....

coach_k
JV Team

Post by coach_k »

Alexander Hitman wrote:The Spartans are well on the way to the league title again .....
Are you serious?

You beat Wellston, They are 0-6
Your beat Logan twice , They are 0-5
You beat Vinton, They are 1-5

You beat one good team in Jackson.

Meigs is off to a bad start, but we have played Gallia (4-2) Athens (5-3) Jackson (6-1)

Return to “Baseball”