SOC II baseball

bocephus
Riding the Bench

Re: SOC II baseball

Post by bocephus »

I'm with you dirtfan .... move on already. We get it you you don't like the coach. Blah, blah, blah. Your kid forgot about it months ago.

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

Moved on about the awards, and I can live with who received the awards. However, the way this coach tried to legitimise his choice by doing what he did shows the type of person he is. Add to this the many other questionable acts he did throughout the season shows his true lack of character. These acts should lead to his dismissal from the team. All actions taken thus far have fallen on deaf ears. Hopefully, some newly elected board members can change that.

bocephus
Riding the Bench

Post by bocephus »

Good luck with the Bd of Ed thing. Your ax to grind/witch hunt comes off as personal thing because you didn't get your way. Everybody has a story.

Support your program, coach and administration. Fighting in-house serves no purpose except to push back the development of that program.

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

We don't have to worry about that tool anymore, but we do worry about the kids who are still there. Several have either said they want to transfer or not play if he is there. Therefore, I don't want to see the program suffer as you have said. In better hands if Chris Davis or Coach Knittle were to be head coach.

bocephus
Riding the Bench

Post by bocephus »

Glad to see you have moved passed it.

Tartan_9volt
Waterboy

Post by Tartan_9volt »

west has a state team this year!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

minford17 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:26 pm We don't have to worry about that tool anymore, but we do worry about the kids who are still there. Several have either said they want to transfer or not play if he is there. Therefore, I don't want to see the program suffer as you have said. In better hands if Chris Davis or Coach Knittle were to be head coach.
Don't see the Minford Board of Education getting rid of a coach who took them to the District Finals last year over an alleged botched post-season award for 1 kid, but that's just me.*

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

art_vandelay wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:37 pm
minford17 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:26 pm We don't have to worry about that tool anymore, but we do worry about the kids who are still there. Several have either said they want to transfer or not play if he is there. Therefore, I don't want to see the program suffer as you have said. In better hands if Chris Davis or Coach Knittle were to be head coach.
Don't see the Minford Board of Education getting rid of a coach who took them to the District Finals last year over an alleged botched post-season award for 1 kid, but that's just me.*
There were several other acts that took place. It got to the point that his actions caused one assistant to stand up for the players, and eventually quit when unfortunately nothing was done to the coach but be made to apologize to the players for his foul language he used towards the players. The coach quit because nothing was done for the way he constantly belittled and mistreated the players, not the foul language. Now if there is one who would constantly see these actions, it would be an assistant coach. The lies told about the stats was just another in a long line of issues this coach has exhibited. I could go on and on, but like I said before, his assistants motivated this team....not him.

Tartan_9volt
Waterboy

Post by Tartan_9volt »

minford17 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:49 pm
art_vandelay wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:37 pm
There were several other acts that took place. It got to the point that his actions caused one assistant to stand up for the players, and eventually quit when unfortunately nothing was done to the coach but be made to apologize to the players for his foul language he used towards the players. The coach quit because nothing was done for the way he constantly belittled and mistreated the players, not the foul language. Now if there is one who would constantly see these actions, it would be an assistant coach. The lies told about the stats was just another in a long line of issues this coach has exhibited. I could go on and on, but like I said before, his assistants motivated this team....not him.
Honestly, I have nothing wrong with coach. Hes a guy that likes to win and is dedicated on getting his guys better. Assistant coaches help that hype of the way they play as well.

valleysports
Waterboy

Post by valleysports »

minford17 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:07 pm
dirtfan wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:24 am
minford17 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:03 am

I would be more than glad to compare scorebooks!!

give it a rest already ,, your butt hurt cause your kid didn't get the award you thought they should,

the whole batting average think is a judgment call, the way you score a hit is different than say I do

for instance: a ball hit to the short stop, the short stop has to move a little to get to it , he cant get to it there is no play, the batter is on first
is that a hit or and error ? ,, i would say if the short stop is terrible and a decent short stop was playing and could make the play it would be an error
but if a decent short stop couldn't make the play then it is a hit ,, but that is just an opinion , and everybody views it differently

but i do know if i was a coach and had a kid always concerned over his stats ,, i probably wouldn't cut him no slack , just sayin
Dirtfan, I agree with everything you say. It is a judgement call on whether a ball in play is called a hit or an error. A lot of times you get a home team bias that would lean towards a hit rather than an error. I have kept scorebook for over 30 years as a hobby and later in some of my son's games when I wasn't coaching a base. I have been one who is very strict in determining whether judging a hit or an error. I usually go along the lines of calling it an error.

My son rarely concerns himself with statistics. The only stat he concerned himself with more was his fielding stats. This is my fight against a coach who wronged a player, and thought I would utilize this forum to shed some light on the unethical decisions of a coach. I would have done the same thing for other players also. For instance, Luke Lindamood batted .419 with 6 2B's, and only received honorable mention all district. 2nd in team batting average and only struck out once. This is less 3 games I didn't keep score too. So he could be argued to deserve greater accolades as well.

Now to argue your theory. I am a retired math teacher. In order to show that much discrepancy between the two averages the way you were saying there would have to be 9 to 10 questionable hits switched to errors. The great thing about the app I use is that it will shows balls in play on a spray chart. It shows that Matthew only had 5 infield hits, and of those, 2 were drag bunts down 3rd base line. So, that leaves only 3 in question. 2 of the 3 were shown to be in the hole between SS and 3B with the other up the middle. He is a left handed hitter who led team with 13 SB's, so without thinking too hard about the 2 bunts and the two in the hole, he easily beat those out. All the 26 others showed spray hits all across the outfield with 18 singles, 4 doubles, and 4 triples. 31 hits and 24 RBI in 20 total games played (regular season and playoffs) in 68 AB's. Final stats show a .456 average.

Now, I trust this coach who alerted me to this, and have had other coaches tell me that it was absolutely comical he didn't receive higher accolades. Wanted to warn other Minford baseball parents of how unethical our "oh so great" coach is. Get rid of this joke Mr. Litteral and Minford School Board
so funny because he had 3 supposedly stolen bases on us whenever they were pass balls

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

valleysports wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:28 pm
dirtfan wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:24 am

give it a rest already ,, your butt hurt cause your kid didn't get the award you thought they should,

the whole batting average think is a judgment call, the way you score a hit is different than say I do

for instance: a ball hit to the short stop, the short stop has to move a little to get to it , he cant get to it there is no play, the batter is on first
is that a hit or and error ? ,, i would say if the short stop is terrible and a decent short stop was playing and could make the play it would be an error
but if a decent short stop couldn't make the play then it is a hit ,, but that is just an opinion , and everybody views it differently

but i do know if i was a coach and had a kid always concerned over his stats ,, i probably wouldn't cut him no slack , just sayin
Dirtfan, I agree with everything you say. It is a judgement call on whether a ball in play is called a hit or an error. A lot of times you get a home team bias that would lean towards a hit rather than an error. I have kept scorebook for over 30 years as a hobby and later in some of my son's games when I wasn't coaching a base. I have been one who is very strict in determining whether judging a hit or an error. I usually go along the lines of calling it an error.

My son rarely concerns himself with statistics. The only stat he concerned himself with more was his fielding stats. This is my fight against a coach who wronged a player, and thought I would utilize this forum to shed some light on the unethical decisions of a coach. I would have done the same thing for other players also. For instance, Luke Lindamood batted .419 with 6 2B's, and only received honorable mention all district. 2nd in team batting average and only struck out once. This is less 3 games I didn't keep score too. So he could be argued to deserve greater accolades as well.

Now to argue your theory. I am a retired math teacher. In order to show that much discrepancy between the two averages the way you were saying there would have to be 9 to 10 questionable hits switched to errors. The great thing about the app I use is that it will shows balls in play on a spray chart. It shows that Matthew only had 5 infield hits, and of those, 2 were drag bunts down 3rd base line. So, that leaves only 3 in question. 2 of the 3 were shown to be in the hole between SS and 3B with the other up the middle. He is a left handed hitter who led team with 13 SB's, so without thinking too hard about the 2 bunts and the two in the hole, he easily beat those out. All the 26 others showed spray hits all across the outfield with 18 singles, 4 doubles, and 4 triples. 31 hits and 24 RBI in 20 total games played (regular season and playoffs) in 68 AB's. Final stats show a .456 average.

Now, I trust this coach who alerted me to this, and have had other coaches tell me that it was absolutely comical he didn't receive higher accolades. Wanted to warn other Minford baseball parents of how unethical our "oh so great" coach is. Get rid of this joke Mr. Litteral and Minford School Board
so funny because he had 3 supposedly stolen bases on us whenever they were pass balls
May want to read the Daily Times article on the game too.

http://www.portsmouth-dailytimes.com/sp ... alley-15-5

I never mentioned stats on this game throughout this topic. I had him walking in first AB and stealing 2nd on pitch 11, and stealing 3rd on pitch 15 scoring one pitch later on an error on SS just as mentioned in the article. He grounded out to 2nd in 2nd AB. He flew out to CF in his 3rd AB. Then in the bottom of the 5th he knocked in 3 with a bases loaded triple to right field wall, and singled to left knocking in one advancing to 2nd on an error by the catcher.

He was injured the next night at Waverly, and did not play the next night's 1-0 Valley win in great pitched games by Cunningham and Cook.

I have a hard time seeing where you are implying he advanced on 3 passed balls when only 2 would be in question that were definitely steals.
Last edited by minford17 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

I get that you're just a dad sticking up for his son, but this is starting to look unhealthy. Post-season awards have become a trophy-for-everybody sham anyways and likely had no bearing on your son's baseball career after high school. Hopper's going nowhere...the sooner you accept it, the better off you'll be.*

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

I got an idea. How about turn it into a positive and teach your boy that not all things go exactly the way you want it. This skill will benefit him a heck of a lot more then some plaque that will be boxed up 10 years from now. showing him you can go to the board of Ed. or a Baseball Forum on SEOPS is not the way In my opinion ( But to each their own). He will have professors, bosses, and other people that he may not agree with. The better you are to cope with it the better you will be as a human being.

Your boy was a heck of an athlete. That is what I will remember him by. Good luck!

bocephus
Riding the Bench

Post by bocephus »

Speed.....your son had a very memorable high school career. He was a very good student athlete. Take the high road on this and enjoy the memories

falcon117
Riding the Bench

Post by falcon117 »

minford17 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:42 pm
valleysports wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:28 pm

May want to read the Daily Times article on the game too.

http://www.portsmouth-dailytimes.com/sp ... alley-15-5

I never mentioned stats on this game throughout this topic. I had him walking in first AB and stealing 2nd on pitch 11, and stealing 3rd on pitch 15 scoring one pitch later on an error on SS just as mentioned in the article. He grounded out to 2nd in 2nd AB. He flew out to CF in his 3rd AB. Then in the bottom of the 5th he knocked in 3 with a bases loaded triple to right field wall, and singled to left knocking in one advancing to 2nd on an error by the catcher.

He was injured the next night at Waverly, and did not play the next night's 1-0 Valley win in great pitched games by Cunningham and Cook.

I have a hard time seeing where you are implying he advanced on 3 passed balls when only 2 would be in question that were definitely steals.
Do you ever have anything positive to say on here about anyone other than your son? Hopper completely changed the program at Minford for the better. It sounds to me like you're more concerned with the recognition your son gets instead of team success. I've read almost all your posts from basketball and baseball season. We all get it, you think your son was amazing and whatever and that's fine. But keep it to yourself instead of blowing smoke every chance you get. Also, to bring up the past, it is not very mature to talk negatively about your son's teammates on here. Those teammates found out you were bashing them on here and weren't too happy about it.

swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

i've gotta go to the store, this thing has been going on so long i ran out of popcorn

you will never catch a red light in webster!!
Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Ridiculous amount of whining about nothing.

Time for 2018 season SOC II Baseball discussion. Who has the horses to challenge for the title this year?

Sportsfan_guy_74
Waterboy

Post by Sportsfan_guy_74 »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:04 am Ridiculous amount of whining about nothing.

Time for 2018 season SOC II Baseball discussion. Who has the horses to challenge for the title this year?
Burg will probably be the top of course. Waverly will be probably the second favorited. West I feel now should surprise people they now have alot of players with 2+ years varsity time. Minford seems young again but they will compete heavily like last year. Northwest looks to be rough again and oak hill will be down a bit

Sportsfan_guy_74
Waterboy

Post by Sportsfan_guy_74 »

My predictions

1.Burg
2.West
3.Minford
4.Waverly
5.Oak hill
6.Northwest

Top 4 will be heavily competitive

valleysports2
Waterboy

Post by valleysports2 »

Sportsfan_guy_74 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:47 am My predictions

1.Burg
2.West
3.Minford
4.Waverly
5.Oak hill
6.Northwest

Top 4 will be heavily competitive
you're way off if you have Oak HIll and Northwest ahead of valley you're crazy

1.) Burg only if Carmichael plays could be waverly
2.) Waverly is for sure #2 maybe #1 if Howell comes out and performs like his old self
3.) West - they have the pitching the compete but could fall to 5 if they don't hit which Hurd and Knittle are their only hitters
4.) Minford - have no pitching their only hope is Lindamood I see them struggling to score and struggling to keep people from scoring
5.) Valley - Cunningham Jones and Morrow are top 10 players in SOC and need to build around them young talent could make them into top 3
6.)Northwest - they are just lucky to be above the bottom two
7.)Oak hill lost Spriggs which was the main reason they were towards the top last season
8.) Webster lost everyone gonna be a rough year

SOC POY : Howell /Carter / Cunningham / Hurd / Lindamood

Return to “Baseball”