SOC II baseball

Burg4
JV Team

Re: SOC II baseball

Post by Burg4 »

Pirate4Life wrote:ALLthatJAZZ: The SOC has to come up with something that if your field cant be played on then you get on a bus and go there no matter if you have to play both games on the road. some people will not go for that but all you are doing is cheating the boys out of a game. The Burg had to cancel Bishop Watterson, now the Portsmouth, and Greenup game is cancelled on Saturday and Tuesday now to make these games up. It was said earlier about pitching, because Wheelersburg puts time and effort into there program at a young age to develope the pitchers they get punished.
I agree with you.

We live in Ohio. We do not live in Florida, Texas, California, etc. The high school season this year goes from March 25 to around May 6, 6 weeks max. Nights like tonight are at a PREMIUM. Many nights during this 6 week season you are going to have Rain, Snow (Friday), maybe field scheduling conflicts, etc. If you are really interested in playing and maybe succeeding at baseball, you should play every opportunity you can. If you think you may desire success, it may be worth working with younger players and maybe putting a baseball glove on their hand/bat in their hands more than 2 or 3 months a year. I just think this is why Southern Ohio gets a bad rap at baseball and there are such few teams with success. Play baseball WHENEVER, WHEREVER. You know that tomorrow and Friday nobody will be playing, so cancelling a game and not playing on a beautiful night like tonight was, is a WASTE. Rant Over (Drops Mic.)

8332 Granite St
JV Team

Post by 8332 Granite St »

PirateBB wrote:I am here in Waverly right now watching the Wheelersburg-Waverly girls softball game. There is a team on the baseball field right now. Does anybody know why the boys' varsity game was cancelled? It couldn't have anything to do with the weather or field conditions. Just curious...
Did the Lady Pirates get the win? Score?

PirateBB
Freshman Team

Post by PirateBB »

Wheelersburg Softball won 16-0

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the Minford @ Waverly makeup game tomorrow night will be cancelled. The outfield at Waverly stands with water very frequently. The hill that stretches from right to center must funnel a lot of water there.

ALLthatJAZZ
Riding the Bench

Post by ALLthatJAZZ »

Burg4 wrote:
Pirate4Life wrote:ALLthatJAZZ: The SOC has to come up with something that if your field cant be played on then you get on a bus and go there no matter if you have to play both games on the road. some people will not go for that but all you are doing is cheating the boys out of a game. The Burg had to cancel Bishop Watterson, now the Portsmouth, and Greenup game is cancelled on Saturday and Tuesday now to make these games up. It was said earlier about pitching, because Wheelersburg puts time and effort into there program at a young age to develope the pitchers they get punished.
I agree with you.

We live in Ohio. We do not live in Florida, Texas, California, etc. The high school season this year goes from March 25 to around May 6, 6 weeks max. Nights like tonight are at a PREMIUM. Many nights during this 6 week season you are going to have Rain, Snow (Friday), maybe field scheduling conflicts, etc. If you are really interested in playing and maybe succeeding at baseball, you should play every opportunity you can. If you think you may desire success, it may be worth working with younger players and maybe putting a baseball glove on their hand/bat in their hands more than 2 or 3 months a year. I just think this is why Southern Ohio gets a bad rap at baseball and there are such few teams with success. Play baseball WHENEVER, WHEREVER. You know that tomorrow and Friday nobody will be playing, so cancelling a game and not playing on a beautiful night like tonight was, is a WASTE. Rant Over (Drops Mic.)
I COMPLETELY agree with you both. The comment I was responding to in the first place was about moving games up. I agree that we need to play when we can, but my point was that teams plan their pitching ahead of time now with the pitch count so they'll know who they have available. Moving a game up the day before, when you thought you were off, creates a very sticky situation for most teams. Burg is in a class of their own when it comes to the system they have for baseball from the ground up... but that's probably the only team in the area that can afford to throw 10 different guys and compete. They aren't getting punished, I'm just saying you have to sometimes see it from a different point of view. But bottom line is play the games on the date they're scheduled. I agree with that always.

On a different note: why didn't burg and Waverly play? That's a head scratcher.

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

Standings.
Wheelersburg. ( 2- 0 : 3 - 1)
West. ( 3 - 1 : 4 - 2 )
Oak Hill. ( 2- 1 )
Waverly. ( 1- 1 : 2 - 2 )
Minford. ( 1- 1 : 4 - 1 )
Valley. ( 1- 1 )
S. Webster. ( 0 - 2 : 3 - 2 )
Northwest. ( 0- 3 )

Through 4-5

Games on 4-5
Minford 1 @ Webster 0
Wheelersburg @ Waverly ppd
Northwest 3 @ Valley 4
West 4 @ Oak Hill 1

Games on 4-6
Minford @ Waverly ???
South Webster @ Wheelersburg

Both postponed AGAIN!
Last edited by minford17 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PirateBB
Freshman Team

Post by PirateBB »

Wheelersburg's record is 3-1 (2-0)

Burg vs. Webster from last week is scheduled to play at Burg tonight, weather permitting

Roy rogers
Waterboy

Post by Roy rogers »

SOC make up games according to the agreement made are to be played on Thursdays, there is nothing agreed upon or rule about Saturdays. Playing locations can be switched, games being made up are up to coaches and athletic directors but the actual agreement was for thursdays, so as to why Burg cancelled Greenup game on Saturday might not have nothing to do with league make up rules.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

SVC rule is make-up the first available Tuesday or Thursday. If a school has a non-league game scheduled on Tuesday or Thursday they have to cancel it and play the league game.
Saturday is off limits until the end of the season if the league schedule is backed up.

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

Minford at Waverly ppd again.

PirateBB
Freshman Team

Post by PirateBB »

South Webster at Wheelersburg ppd again

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

What makes matter worse when you have rainouts is when you have a Coach who will not play on Saturdays and doesn't really care whether you play or not...lol...Don't tell me that doesn't happen because it does....Baseball is a short Season and when you have a Coach who's not 100% behind the Program and not trying to get games in it won't happen....South Point had such a Coach at one time....Rainouts threw the week and 80 degree beautiful weekends and the kids sit at home.....That's why you Schedule a full 27 game Schedule instead of 22 or 23. SP also had to deal with not having a full schedule in the 3 years I dealt with this....It's cheating the kids out of games!!!!!

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

Friday games

West at Minford canceled.

Told West canceled because it would be too cold.

Forecast of near 50° with no precipitation, and our field drains well....

Doesn't seem logical to not play.

tigercat1
Varsity

Post by tigercat1 »

I was told that Waverly vs. Wheelersburg baseball game was cancelled because of water in the outfield.

jijibean
Waterboy

Post by jijibean »

minford17 wrote:Friday games

If it is Minford's home game, how could West cancel?

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

To cancel a game where the Temp is going to hit around 50 degrees is a perfect example of wuzzyification of America....lol.......I can understand not playing on a field with water and not playable but 45-50 degree weather this shouldn't happen....Ole the Mommys can be heard saying how the babies will catch a cold out in this weather...Another myth..... You catch colds from a virus not rain and cold. I don't know how the generations before our pampered society survived to adulthood.....

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

jijibean wrote:
minford17 wrote:Friday games

If it is Minford's home game, how could West cancel?
Many basketball games have been postponed in the past because the visiting team did not want to travel in poor weather, so I don't see your point. There is a mutual decision to play, and does not hinge solely on the home team.

jijibean
Waterboy

Post by jijibean »

My point is in response to your accusation of West not wanting to play tonight. It seems that the home team should always have the say whether or not the conditions and playing field is appropriate. The SOC is long overdue for written bylaws to correct any and every condition that could arise in a season. That is:
1. The league schedule should be written in stone without other teams being able to request changes based on them wanting to play in non-league tournaments.
2. Mutual agreement of a postponement (first option to home team - if their field isn't ready, then play on the other's field) - I think that's is the way Sectional games are - once teams arrive, then the umpires should have jurisdiction
3. Make-up games should be the first Tuesday or Thursday available (I think that is the way the SVC is)

I am not on a board or a coach, but have seen games cancelled and/or rescheduled to accommodate teams. Until the powers that be have a written rule (and maybe they do) and those rules are followed, this is what you get. Everything else is just hearsay and accusations, both are mute.

PirateBB
Freshman Team

Post by PirateBB »

Wheelersburg at Valley ppd today

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

A lot of interesting pitching decisions will have to be made over the next couple of weeks with the additions of make up games.

Return to “Baseball”