SVC 2017

Anonymousallball
Waterboy

Re: SVC 2017

Post by Anonymousallball »

A lot of good talent in the league especially when it comes to the slingers. From the top down:

Unioto:
Patterson, Edler, Ooten

Adena:
Free, Dawson, Blevins when healthy

Zane Trace:
Brooks, Lambert

Westfall:
Nunamaker

Southeastern:
Popp

Huntington:
Smith

Piketon:
Vulgamore, Spires, Crabtree

Paint Valley:
Mettler

A lot of youth on many of these teams which will make next year very interesting. Unioto should still be the favorite even with losing three contributing seniors. They return three of the four pitchers that they have used this year and will add a new name to their roster that will prove to be exciting.

Piketon will only get better. Great young team that just needs some discipline. Bum has done a great by them this far.

Paint Valley is another team to exect growth from but I think they will still be one year away. Younger less experienced team whose strength in schedule has only came from SVC play.

Adena loses a lot but are always prepared and Zane Trace always puts up a fight. Southeastern will peak some interest since they lose a talented senior class.

As league play on most nights has been interesting it can be assumed that playoff play will be the same.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

As of 5/9

Unioto 11-3, 18-6
Adena 10-4, 11-12
Zane Trace 9-5, 16-10
Westfall 7-7, 10-16
Southeastern 6-8, 10-10
Huntington 5-9, 12-13
Piketon 5-9, 11-14
Paint Valley 3-11, 10-14

Regular Season Monday scores:
Coal Grove 3 Piketon 1
Oak Hill 12 Zane Trace 7
Unioto 6 Logan Elm 0
Washington CH 12 Adena 11
Paint Valley 5 Alexander 0

Regular Season Tuesday score:
Westfall 12 Circleville 1
Last edited by petesweaty on Tue May 09, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Championship07 wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 6:53 am
danicalifornia wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 9:45 pm I really like the chances of the SVC getting 3 teams to the District Finals.

Unioto will have a rough road, but should win their first 2 games if their pitching maintains what they've done all year.

The winners of the Adena/Piketon and ZT/Huntington/Westfall pods have favorable District Semifinal matchups. It's been a rough non conference year, but that should have the league ready to make a little bit of noise in the next couple weeks.
Not giving the OVC much credit in district semi's are you Dani? SP has been a roller coaster team for the better part of 2 seasons but have beat some pretty good ball clubs. They're the favorite to matchup with Adena barring an upset to either club. In your other pod you have ZT/Huntington or Westfall taking out Coal Grove. Coal Grove isn't the greatest hitting team but have 2 above average pitchers so one of those squads had better be able to hit well or have a top flight pitcher to knock off the hornets. Not taking anything away from the SVC teams they always have a good baseball conference as far back as I can remember but don't take the OVC lightly it was very competitive this season these teams are battle tested.
You are probably correct if the OVC is as competitive as you say it is. I haven't seen anyone from the OVC this year, so I was just basing it on recent history. Hopefully, I'm the correct one lol, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time that I was wrong.

crashdavis188
Riding the Bench

Post by crashdavis188 »

danicalifornia wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 8:31 am
Championship07 wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 6:53 am
danicalifornia wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 9:45 pm I really like the chances of the SVC getting 3 teams to the District Finals.

Unioto will have a rough road, but should win their first 2 games if their pitching maintains what they've done all year.

The winners of the Adena/Piketon and ZT/Huntington/Westfall pods have favorable District Semifinal matchups. It's been a rough non conference year, but that should have the league ready to make a little bit of noise in the next couple weeks.
Not giving the OVC much credit in district semi's are you Dani? SP has been a roller coaster team for the better part of 2 seasons but have beat some pretty good ball clubs. They're the favorite to matchup with Adena barring an upset to either club. In your other pod you have ZT/Huntington or Westfall taking out Coal Grove. Coal Grove isn't the greatest hitting team but have 2 above average pitchers so one of those squads had better be able to hit well or have a top flight pitcher to knock off the hornets. Not taking anything away from the SVC teams they always have a good baseball conference as far back as I can remember but don't take the OVC lightly it was very competitive this season these teams are battle tested.
You are probably correct if the OVC is as competitive as you say it is. I haven't seen anyone from the OVC this year, so I was just basing it on recent history. Hopefully, I'm the correct one lol, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time that I was wrong.
Piketon has played both OVC co-champions Gallia and Coal Grove, split with Gallia, (PHS9-7w,,2-1L) Coal Grove3-1 over Piketon, CG scored 2 times top of 7 to win. Bottom line,if either OVC champs were in the SVC they would be middle of pack at best.

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

Crashdavis if you've been around sports much, especially Baseball, you know comparing scores doesn't mean squat. Those 2 teams you mentioned are probably not the best 2 teams in the OVC. Yeah they won but a couple plays here or there and u have 2 different teams at top I can't believe Gallia tied for 1st. My god Fairland beat Gallia and they are very weak.... The top 5 teams in the OVC would play with any SVC school...Coal Grove is not a very good defensive team but have a couple decent pitchers....I've watched almost all those SVC teams and none of them are dominate.... We'll find out shortly who does what but the OVC is every bit as good as SVC this year... I bet Portsmouth who finished 6th in OVC and is an 11 seed wins their 1st game.....

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

mrwonderful wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 6:23 pm Crashdavis if you've been around sports much, especially Baseball, you know comparing scores doesn't mean squat. Those 2 teams you mentioned are probably not the best 2 teams in the OVC. Yeah they won but a couple plays here or there and u have 2 different teams at top I can't believe Gallia tied for 1st. My god Fairland beat Gallia and they are very weak.... The top 5 teams in the OVC would play with any SVC school...Coal Grove is not a very good defensive team but have a couple decent pitchers....I've watched almost all those SVC teams and none of them are dominate.... We'll find out shortly who does what but the OVC is every bit as good as SVC this year... I bet Portsmouth who finished 6th in OVC and is an 11 seed wins their 1st game.....
Portsmouth over West could very well happen. It could be a very good pitchers duel if both go with their aces, which they should. Ryan Williams (PHS) vs Marty Knittle (PWHS) will both keep game low scoring and close. Could come down to which team commits the most errors. Just saw where this game will be on 1260 AM tomorrow night.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

It will be interesting to see if Adena's freshman class will have an impact next year. For a small school, it's a loaded baseball class.

Waboplay
Riding the Bench

Post by Waboplay »

Se-alum. Freshman class make small impact maybe one or two. The sophomore class jv team is 36-1 this year and last year. Adena loses 10 seniors. But solid sophomore and few freshman this year will help out next year.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

After Wednesday games:

Unioto 11-3, 19-6
Adena 10-4, 12-12
Zane Trace 9-5, 17-10
Westfall 7-7, 11-16
Southeastern 6-8, 10-11
Huntington 5-9, 12-14
Piketon 5-9, 12-14
Paint Valley 3-11, 11-14

D2 Sectional Final (Thurs)
Unioto 2 Chillicothe 0

D3 Sectional Finals (Sat)
Westfall at Zane Trace
Piketon at Adena
Paint Valley at Minford
Last edited by petesweaty on Fri May 12, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Waboplay wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 9:02 pm Se-alum. Freshman class make small impact maybe one or two. The sophomore class jv team is 36-1 this year and last year. Adena loses 10 seniors. But solid sophomore and few freshman this year will help out next year.
I wasn't real clear, I was wondering about the incoming Freshman class(this years 8th graders). I can see Garrison, Bennett, and Sykes seeing some varsity time next year.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

Going into the District Tournament:

Unioto 11-3, 20-7
Adena 10-4, 14-13
Zane Trace 9-5, 20-10
Westfall 7-7, 11-17
Southeastern 6-8, 10-11
Huntington 5-9, 12-14
Piketon 5-9, 12-15
Paint Valley 3-11, 11-15

District Semi-Finals

D2 Unioto 2 Miami Trace 0
D2 Marietta 9 Unioto 2 (District Final)
D3 Adena 7 Chesapeake 0
D3 Zane Trace 6 Coal Grove 2
D3 Zane Trace 5 Minford 3 (District Final)
D3 Wheelersburg 3 Adena 0 (District Final)
D3 Wheelersburg vs. Zane Trace (Regional Semi-Final)
Last edited by petesweaty on Sat May 20, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

Unioto defeats Miami Trace 2-0. They will play Marietta for the district title on Wednesday.

Waboplay
Riding the Bench

Post by Waboplay »

Who will Unioto throw?

Fred Flintstone
Riding the Bench

Post by Fred Flintstone »

Sigler or Edler

Anonymousallball
Waterboy

Post by Anonymousallball »

Toss a coin, that decision will not be made until 30 minutes prior to the game..... they have Edler, Ooten, and Sigler available who have pitched over 30 innings each with ERA's of 1.43 or under

Waboplay
Riding the Bench

Post by Waboplay »

Who will Adena throw? Free or Dawson. I don't think it matters?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Waboplay wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 1:50 pm Who will Adena throw? Free or Dawson. I don't think it matters?
It shouldn't matter in the semi finals, so maybe go with #2 to set up your best against Wheelersburg in the Final.

Fred Flintstone
Riding the Bench

Post by Fred Flintstone »

The two SVC teams left are really different in personnal. Adena (13-12) has like 10 seniors. Zane Trace (18-10) sometimes has as many as three freshman and 3 or 4 sophomores on the field at one time. They do have a veteran pitcher though.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Adena cruises over Chesapeake, 7-0. Gunnar Free pitched a great game, with none of the 3 hits he allowed being well struck balls. He kept the Panthers off balance the whole night. Dratwa and Henness each had big hits to help break things open, with Henness' triple being the dagger.

If Dawson can pitch to the level that he has at times this season, they definitely have a chance to beat Wheelersburg on Saturday. No SVC team has defeated Burg in the tournament since 2007, which equates to an 0-13 mark in that time.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

I think that is the last time that Wheelersburg did not win a District title.
Zane Trace defeated Wheelersburg 1-0 in eight innings at Jackson in 2007.

Return to “Baseball”