Boys D4 District outlook/breakdown

coachcook
Riding the Bench

Boys D4 District outlook/breakdown

Post by coachcook »

Anyone have opinion on how this district is shaping up? Predictions?

anderson2012
JV Team

Re: Boys D4 District outlook/breakdown

Post by anderson2012 »

Paint Valley and Trimble are obviously going to be favorites, but Symmes, Eastern Meigs & Miller are also doing very well this season.

tcatpride
Freshman Team

Post by tcatpride »

Symmes valley is now 13-1. Vikings are on a roll as they've 4-0 in 4 games this week.

jinks
Freshman Team

Post by jinks »

Well, once again Ironton St. Joseph got screwed over in the tournament seeding. Please explain to me how we can beat all those SOC teams and they are still seeded higher? We have only lost to one DIV team all year (and IMO we could have won that one). We beat Notre Dame, romped Clay, and beat 2 DIII teams. Yet get an 8 seed.

Championship
JV Team

Post by Championship »

Conferences will always be buddy buddy when it comes to voting in these things. ISJ being an independent is effected by this. I agree you all should have been a higher seed than the one you received. Oak Hill was effected the same way in d3 because they are not a part of the OVC or TVC and were voted behind Chesapeake whom they have a better record than ....

jinks
Freshman Team

Post by jinks »

That is why Ohio needs to change the way they set-up tournaments, and not just baseball. Have all the teams in each sectional play each other twice and let the records decide seeding. But honestly, I would love for one SOC coach to get one here and explain how we can whip them and they still seed us #8.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

St. Joe was seeded behind (in order)

1. Trimble
2. Symmes Valley
3. Eastern
4. South Webster
5. Waterford
6. Green
7. Miller

I don't believe St. Joe defeated any of these teams. I'm not justifying the seed SJ received but I don't agree with your logic on why they should be higher. Clay and ND are in the other sectional and didn't vote on SJ's seed.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Play more games.

jinks
Freshman Team

Post by jinks »

We played So. Webster and lost (they are good and deserve their seeding) We lost to Green 4-3 ( and played a double-header that day). Not sure which Eastern you are talking about, but we beat the Eastern that is located in Adams County (I think it was in Winchester?) And for the life of me, I will never understand why we would be in a different sectional than the teams we play?? Speaking of Green, we beat many of the teams they lost to.

anderson2012
JV Team

Post by anderson2012 »

Perhaps a simpler solution is just get rid of voting as sectionals and just vote as a district. Let the teams in Scioto County places votes on the teams from Meigs County and vice versa.

jinks
Freshman Team

Post by jinks »

Play more games??? Let's see, one double-header was canceled because of a tragedy at the other school (Thankfully So. Webster filled one of those games.) Manchester cancelled on us, and I think three were called because of rain. If there is a rain out, the conference schools will make-up the games in their conference and not reschedule with us. What can we do about that?

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

The #3 seed is Eastern Meigs (Reedsville). The Eastern that SJ beat was Eastern Brown.

transplanted_chieftain
Waterboy

Post by transplanted_chieftain »

The other thing to keep in mind is that league teams will often times save their ace or #2 pitcher for conference games vs. using them in non-conference games. Not trying to diminish any of ISJ or any other non-league team wins, but I know when I coached baseball I would do that if I had league games later in that week. I know that there is some discussion going on in SOC about scheduling home and away games in the same week for league games so that one school cannot always throw their #1 against a team. Re-scheduling is done about as much for rotation as it is about weather and field availability for some teams.

jinks
Freshman Team

Post by jinks »

I still think the whole set-up is ridiculous. Why bother having East and West seedings if after the second round you don't play the teams you were seeded against?? Either seed the whole district top to bottom, or have East play East and West play West and the winners square off.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Highflyer--the obvious solution is to join a league. League teams will stick together--that's a proven fact. Goto is right also---if I'm looking to improve my league standing and I have you on Monday and a league game on Tuesday with a choice of my 1 and 3 pitchers---you are seeing #3.

People think about that during the seeding--or if they don't think about it.... they for sure will use it to justify passing you over.

The only fair solution is to go to a system like football---where you get rewarded for playing and beating better competition.

TeeVeeCee
Waterboy

Post by TeeVeeCee »

Another thing that might help is to have your coach actually vote esp if going to blame everyone else for seed

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

TeeVeeCee wrote:Another thing that might help is to have your coach actually vote esp if going to blame everyone else for seed
Voting tends to help a lot. Especially if you think you're better than a seed you receive.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

Fortdawg wrote:Highflyer--the obvious solution is to join a league. League teams will stick together--that's a proven fact.
I agree, but with St. Joe's size only two conferences seem logical, the small divisions of the TVC and SOC. TVC isn't a good fit, though, due to excessive travel. South Gallia is the closest school and it is over an hour away. The SOC fits better travel wise, but to my knowledge, the SOC turned St. Joe down very recently, mainly due to complaints of facilities, so that's out too. It is what it is. SJ is independent and looks to stay that way. The seeding is how it is, schools voting and I am sure it will stay as it is.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

highflyer wrote:We played So. Webster and lost (they are good and deserve their seeding) We lost to Green 4-3 ( and played a double-header that day). Not sure which Eastern you are talking about, but we beat the Eastern that is located in Adams County (I think it was in Winchester?) And for the life of me, I will never understand why we would be in a different sectional than the teams we play?? Speaking of Green, we beat many of the teams they lost to.
As far as being in a different sectional than the teams you play, that is up to the AD and coach to correct. The teams in your sectional do not vary much between enrollment cycles unless someone moves up, so you know who you need to schedule. If you only played 2 teams seeded above you in your sectional and lost to both, that is probably about the seed you earned. Also, teams consider the history of a team when seeding. St Joe has been a "1 and done" team the past several years. That doesn't help their case. South Webster plays higher division teams in the SOC, so sometimes with a worse record they end up higher than it appears they deserve, but people know they played a tough schedule and take that into consideration.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Southern 10
St. Joe's 1

Return to “Baseball”