Post by blue devil »

Canton Central Catholic - 3
Manchester - 0

http://www.cantonrep.com/article/201505 ... /150529133

blue devil
Waterboy

Re: D3 Regional

Post by blue devil »

Central Catholic has two very good pitchers that led them to state. Junior Jake Vance is an Ohio State recruit, while Senior Patrick Murphy is a Marshall commit. They gave up no runs in the regionals and have a 1.53 team ERA this season.

http://www.cantonrep.com/article/201505 ... 9343/13308

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I am sure that CCC is a fine team, but I think the experience at Huntington Park will be an advantage for Burg. These Burg kids have all been there, while none of the CCC players have. Obviously CCC also has a strong history, I think Burg will do just fine.

DWWD

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

THIS IS AWESOME WHO ELSE LOCAL MOVED ON, ALEXANDER DID AS WELL RIGHT 4TH.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

4th n Goal wrote:I am sure that CCC is a fine team, but I think the experience at Huntington Park will be an advantage for Burg. These Burg kids have all been there, while none of the CCC players have. Obviously CCC also has a strong history, I think Burg will do just fine.

DWWD
I wanted to comment on the "DWWD" acronym. As an outsider I hope this doesn't too corny or sappy.

As a baseball fan wanting to see two good teams play I made the short trek to the VA Stadium from Jackson to watch two very fine local SE Ohio programs play one another. When I entered the stadium I had no idea what or who or where a DWWD was. It didn't take long (even for me) to figure it out, everyone was wearing shirts, or displaying banners with the acronym Do What We Do...sounds pretty simple right? For the Burg program it is now second nature to them to do what they do, and baseball fans everywhere should appreciate the fact they do do what they do, it is impressive, it just is.

From the warm-ups to the very end it was like watching a machine.

There was a method to everything they do, and they execute at a very high rate of success. Top of the first inning when one of the first batters was hit by pitch everyone knew what was coming...but it wasn't an ordinary bunt, it was an attempt at a push bunt toward second base past the pitcher into no-mans-land, and guess what, it was successful. A base hit later and they were on the board.

When they bunted for sacrifices the entire dugout came out and slapped hands with the kid that got it down and got the runner over. They did a job...they did what they do.

When they came off the field everyone was out and everyone was positive...a routine of excellence...a routine of unselfishness...a routine of doing what they do. Constant communication with everyone seemingly knowing the plan and how to win a ball game...this ball game just happened to be a regional championship.

I believe it was two maybe three innings in a row in the 3rd-4th-5th Alexander had baserunners and some pressure...and one doubleplay in each of those innings they are out of a jam. Alexander had their opportunities, but when the opportunity to make a doubleplay presented itself Burg executed defensively several times in consecutive innings.

When the Burg lefty came in and made a great hold in the 5th inning as I recall against Alexander and Burg came off the field...Martin exchanged his first base mitt for a fielder's glove and ran down the left field line to warm up. He knew he was going to have a job to do. Bottom of 6th and 7th with Alexander at bat he did his job and Burg did what they do and won another regional championship.

I have no idea about the talent of the other three D3 teams that will travel to Huntington Park, but I guarantee you that the program built by Coach Estep (Estepp??) will compete with whoever they play and compete for yet another state title.

The coaches are professional and fundamental. The players are talented yet unselfish. They do what they do.

It is a recipe for long-term program success. As a fan who supports Jackson sports I believe we have turned a corner and if we want to continue to get better and build a PROGRAM (not just a few years of a winning streak) we can look a county or so to the south of us and have a pretty good idea of the recipe for long-term success. I believe we can turn four years into 5 and then 5 to 6-7 and then 9-10 years of success. Hard work, be humble yet intense as an individual, execute the small details and win as a team.

DWWD = players + coaching doing the right things year after year after year. You can't be or say DWWD after 1 or 2 years...DWWD is long-term, is not easy and requires buy-in from parents, players and staff.

Congrats to Burg on winning the Regional Championship and even more congrats to your slogan DWWD, it really does represent why your program is successful now and will be successful in the future.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Very well said and appreciated complement of Coach Estep and his program. It's nice to see an outsider appreciate what the coaching staff has done over the last 10 years.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

As impressive approach to a game that I have ever seen, they are an absolute joy to watch how they approach and play the game.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

The fans go crazy when a kid walks, they all buy in and it is wonderful to watch. It is what every program strives for and it is a joy to watch Wheelersburg baseball perform every single year.

For the Kids
Freshman Team

Post by For the Kids »

Yes, the coaches have built a great program. It actually goes all the way back to Jack Brannon and Shay Myers in the 1990's.
The one thing that you must have is athletes though. Wheelersburg has always had athletes.
No coach can build any program with kids that cannot make plays.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Fredthestreak wrote:Yes, the coaches have built a great program. It actually goes all the way back to Jack Brannon and Shay Myers in the 1990's.
The one thing that you must have is athletes though. Wheelersburg has always had athletes.
No coach can build any program with kids that cannot make plays.
I agree but one thing about burg kids is that they will work their butts off. Burg kids will not be out worked.

jazzfingers888
JV Team

Post by jazzfingers888 »

I just wish they wouldn't have been cheap and paid the extra 10 cents per shirt to finish the acronym properly with a B.

Do What We Do Best (which is actually original)

This would have also avoided the potential lawsuit from Auburn University (Football), the Dedham-Westwood Water District, and Dougy's Wild West Demolition, LLC.

Just a thought.

Be sure to tip your waiter/ waitress.

Return to “Baseball”