Conflict of Interest Questions

Watson40
Waterboy

Re: Conflict of Interest Questions

Post by Watson40 »

Enigmaax I catch what you are saying. What I was suggesting is maybe setting a training area that could be used by his players. All players. Instead of charging like they would do at the batters box or an indoor facility. To my understanding there are only a few months when a coach can not coach his players. And then it falls under the scrutiny of giving all the same opportunity. For instance if a coach instructs through a separate season it has to be available to the entire team and not just a select few. I have been confused about these rules for quite a while so please correct me if I am wrong. It wouldn't be the first time haha.

It is a catch 22. The coach should be able to run business. But we have hit this era where the option for a kid is to quit when they perceive things are unfair. We used to push for kids to ride out rough times to show them what hard work can do in their life. But now parents and kids are quick to just quit and teach the world a lesson. This is a discussion for another thread. But my point I was trying to make is that in a world of people hunting for any reason to cry inequality, this could get sticky. Especially in the smaller communities where they have to basically beg kids to play. So rhe correct answer would be be, "who cares and let them cry". But the horrible truth is that something like this could hurt a program in a small community like new Boston (didn't have enough to play this year).

Either way this is a good topic. I know coach Schuler gave instruction in the off season. Wonder if he came across issues like this. Would like to hear from him.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Is this coach also willing to give lessons to athletes from other schools and charge them the same amount? Has this coach showed anything that makes people believe he is favoring players who paid for lessons? Is it a conflict of interest if this coach does work with other athletes from other schools in his division or conference, especially if some of these players transfer to his school because he can get a player an opportunity to move to the next level?

There are a ton of questions on whether something is a conflict of interest. If the coach is running a business where the PARENTS of players want to pay for their child to get extra lessons and it is also open to players from other schools to get lessons as well, as well as the coach not showing favoritism to players over those who may not be able to pay for lessons but are exceptional athletes, then no there is no conflict of interest. You can not hold it against a coach if they are capable of helping kids get better by charging to keep his business in operation especially if this is his main way of living. The conflict of interest in this is if he was charging athletes from other schools and not athletes from his for private lessons through his business.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Tartanblue wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 11:12 am Is this coach also willing to give lessons to athletes from other schools and charge them the same amount? Yes

Has this coach showed anything that makes people believe he is favoring players who paid for lessons? Yes

Is it a conflict of interest if this coach does work with other athletes from other schools in his division or conference, especially if some of these players transfer to his school because he can get a player an opportunity to move to the next level? No

The conflict of interest in this is if he was charging athletes from other schools and not athletes from his for private lessons through his business.

This is incorrect in this situation.

The conflict of interest in this situation arises within his own school system by showing favoritism to these players over those who do not pay for his instruction during the season. In addition, administration at this school has indicated that no conflict of interest exists - under current school regulations - in having current players pay for instruction during the season.
My answers and comments are in red.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Phoenix31 wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 10:07 pm
Tartanblue wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 11:12 am Is this coach also willing to give lessons to athletes from other schools and charge them the same amount? Yes

Has this coach showed anything that makes people believe he is favoring players who paid for lessons? Yes

Is it a conflict of interest if this coach does work with other athletes from other schools in his division or conference, especially if some of these players transfer to his school because he can get a player an opportunity to move to the next level? No

The conflict of interest in this is if he was charging athletes from other schools and not athletes from his for private lessons through his business.

This is incorrect in this situation.

The conflict of interest in this situation arises within his own school system by showing favoritism to these players over those who do not pay for his instruction during the season. In addition, administration at this school has indicated that no conflict of interest exists - under current school regulations - in having current players pay for instruction during the season.
My answers and comments are in red.
If he's showing distinct favoritism to players who are paying for lessons over kids who are not, then there is a problem with this situation. Along with the administration if they see no problem with showing favoritism for those players; however, if he is giving lessons and they are going to his business of work other than his coaching as long as he is not showing favoritism i see no problem as long as he is able to seperate the two.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

Only if it is made to be mandatory.

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
i83
Freshman Team

Post by i83 »

Coaches are not paid enough so pitching and hitting lessons help.
Some take care of the fields.
Any coach that puts money before winning won't be coaching long.
Most coaches put in a lot time not paid for.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Thanks, all.

The coach in question is now gone.

Sharon Peters
Waterboy

Post by Sharon Peters »

sounds like you got what you wanted. Now maybe little billy can get on the field.

Return to “Baseball”