TVC Ohio

Fonzie
S

Re: TVC Ohio

Post by Fonzie »

i83 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:30 pm Big fan of mattox not sure he should playing any sport focus on getting the grades to graduate way more important than baseball
If academics are truly the concern, you're probably right, he should focus on studies and not spend time at a ball field.

The public isn't stupid. We all know what is happening.

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

Fonzie wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:34 pm
i83 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:30 pm Big fan of mattox not sure he should playing any sport focus on getting the grades to graduate way more important than baseball
If academics are truly the concern, you're probably right, he should focus on studies and not spend time at a ball field.

The public isn't stupid. We all know what is happening.
And what the public thinks or knows changes what? Is there some jealousy. Bottem line is he is doing what he can to move forward.

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

And if he can't get the academics up in the half season he isn't eligible to play then he won't be playing any, if he can keep the academics up and play at same time...it's a win win situation.

Resurgent_Thinker
Riding the Bench

Post by Resurgent_Thinker »

Just by transferring to a smaller school, does not mean graduating/getting better grades will be any easier. Eastern is pretty solid academically and they hold, especially the baseball players, to a high standard, but maybe a change in environment is what is needed.. If grades are slipping then baseball or any future in sport at the next level should be the last thing on his or family's mind because in the end, baseball is just a GAME. Yes, core values and life lessons can be learned from sport, especially baseball, but the main focus of this move should vastly be on grades. I wish Mattox and family the best of luck this spring as this will be a valuable life lesson in prep for the real world.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

tvc_fan wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:04 pm
Fonzie wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:42 pm
Michigan n Trumbull wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:04 am

Is he a senior??? With 3 months of school left, now worry about his academics????????? Sounds like Eastern just got even stronger.......
I sure hope we all can see through the "academics" bs, he is leaving to go join an Eastern team that would have won the TVC Hocking, Sectional, and District without him, so now they will have a shot of a regional push. He would simply be leaving to try and join a team that has a better shot. In all honesty, its sad. Probably most of all, for the parent that signs the papers to allow it to happen. As for sitting out half the season, there are several ways around that little rule. I am sure we will see which one they use in the upcoming weeks.
Well for your information, he doesn't even have enough credits to graduate Meigs right now, he will have them and be able to graduate Eastern, And Meigs ha a shot at going far this season as well being they dropped down to D3, So it has nothing to do with going somewhere for a better chance to go somewhere that would go further in tournament play. He was released from the Meigs Baseball team a week after practice started, because he went and played in a basketball tournament during a weekend on his own free time..At Meigs they punish you even if you shoot a basketball, take a jog or whatever during the season. Heck he was even punished in football for playing in the Hoops Project in the middle of summer, when football practices weren't mandatory. So Failing grades at Meigs, would not play any games at Meigs, would not graduate at Meigs...I think going to Eastern, being able to graduate and play at least half a season is a pretty wise choice there Mr Know It All.
Too much. These people didn't need to know all of that. Hes got every right to do what he's doing and good luck to him. Maybe this will work out for everyone.

On another note, the fact that Brent Bissell let probably his top pitcher walk for not following team rules shows me that Coach Bissell does not play favorites at all and for that he deserves so much credit. It's refreshing to see a guy that sticks to his guns. I'm sorry it happened to the young man, but Coach Bissell laying a hard line shows me he coaches for the right reasons and is trying to mold young men. Team first. Kudos to Coach Bissell. I hope for a happy ending for everyone involved, including Christian and I hope he learns life lessons from this to help him in.the future. Good luck to everyone.

baseball guy71
Waterboy

Post by baseball guy71 »

Meigs (Very Young with varsity Experience at the plate and mainly on the mound)

Wellston (Solid team, good pitching)

Nelsonille ( One man show whether his pitching or hitting the kids the tough one in the TVC)

Athen (Basically a freshman team with good hitting and pitching, they will win some but struggle too)

Vinton Co ( Had games where they could hit, not a lot of pitching)

Alexander ( Losing their big guy last year is going to hurt

I think meigs still has to be the favored to win the TVC Ohio

I;m not quite sure anyone will run away with it, i think we will see some good baseball,

What's everyone esles thoughts?

Resurgent_Thinker
Riding the Bench

Post by Resurgent_Thinker »

BlizzardMan wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:19 am
tvc_fan wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:04 pm
Fonzie wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:42 pm

I sure hope we all can see through the "academics" bs, he is leaving to go join an Eastern team that would have won the TVC Hocking, Sectional, and District without him, so now they will have a shot of a regional push. He would simply be leaving to try and join a team that has a better shot. In all honesty, its sad. Probably most of all, for the parent that signs the papers to allow it to happen. As for sitting out half the season, there are several ways around that little rule. I am sure we will see which one they use in the upcoming weeks.
Well for your information, he doesn't even have enough credits to graduate Meigs right now, he will have them and be able to graduate Eastern, And Meigs ha a shot at going far this season as well being they dropped down to D3, So it has nothing to do with going somewhere for a better chance to go somewhere that would go further in tournament play. He was released from the Meigs Baseball team a week after practice started, because he went and played in a basketball tournament during a weekend on his own free time..At Meigs they punish you even if you shoot a basketball, take a jog or whatever during the season. Heck he was even punished in football for playing in the Hoops Project in the middle of summer, when football practices weren't mandatory. So Failing grades at Meigs, would not play any games at Meigs, would not graduate at Meigs...I think going to Eastern, being able to graduate and play at least half a season is a pretty wise choice there Mr Know It All.
Too much. These people didn't need to know all of that. Hes got every right to do what he's doing and good luck to him. Maybe this will work out for everyone.

On another note, the fact that Brent Bissell let probably his top pitcher walk for not following team rules shows me that Coach Bissell does not play favorites at all and for that he deserves so much credit. It's refreshing to see a guy that sticks to his guns. I'm sorry it happened to the young man, but Coach Bissell laying a hard line shows me he coaches for the right reasons and is trying to mold young men. Team first. Kudos to Coach Bissell. I hope for a happy ending for everyone involved, including Christian and I hope he learns life lessons from this to help him in.the future. Good luck to everyone.
Well said Blizzard

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

Makes perfect sense to have rules stating players can not participate in competitions outside of the given sport they are playing. If I were a coach, I would be absolutely furious if a kid goes and plays in a basketball tourney and gets hurt, thus keeping him from the sport he's playing. Talk about a lot of wasted time developing a player. Good for Bissell to stick to his guns and punish a kid that clearly doesn't respect the team rules, coach, and players.

All too often we see coaches turn the other way when it is one of the "skilled" kids. Mattox is exactly that, a very skilled kid that would have helped Meigs.

My question is this, if he started baseball, then he was planning on playing at Meigs, but then still wouldn't have graduated...so why wasn't the change made before baseball started if this is truly about academics. Don't throw up the smoke.

Realist
Freshman Team

Post by Realist »

Hmmmm...Good point, Fonzie.

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

I am not gonna waste my time on the reasoning, it's in the past and what the future holds for him is ahead,.

Realist
Freshman Team

Post by Realist »

I do think it's time we move on and talk more about the upcoming season. Any word on how teams are looking? I still think Wellston and Athens are the teams to beat probably.

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Realist wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:36 pm I do think it's time we move on and talk more about the upcoming season. Any word on how teams are looking? I still think Wellston and Athens are the teams to beat probably.
Agree, enough of the "Days of Our Lives" soap opera.

Wellston and/or Athens and maybe even a 2 or 3 way tie. Just depends on how the inevitable cancellations and make-up games align and what that does to pitching. Wellston has some very underrated arms and is deeper than you think. Rockets will be there in the end I do think.

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

If it means anything VC won a scrimmage today at the VA 4-3 over eastern beaver

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Athens beat Trimble 10-3 the other day

NYHS18
Waterboy

Post by NYHS18 »

Im predicting Nelsonville-York to win the TVC this year because it is a down year and Nelsonville Baseball in on the rise.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Dandy Don wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:47 am
Realist wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:36 pm I do think it's time we move on and talk more about the upcoming season. Any word on how teams are looking? I still think Wellston and Athens are the teams to beat probably.
Agree, enough of the "Days of Our Lives" soap opera.

Wellston and/or Athens and maybe even a 2 or 3 way tie. Just depends on how the inevitable cancellations and make-up games align and what that does to pitching. Wellston has some very underrated arms and is deeper than you think. Rockets will be there in the end I do think.
I agree . I like wellston to take the pennant this season

Return to “Baseball”