Looking Ahead To Spring 2018

QB SNEAK
Freshman Team

Re: Looking Ahead To Spring 2018

Post by QB SNEAK »

I Say Burg will take SOC 2 and the Bobcats will take SOC 1 again.

mttatiger14
Waterboy

Post by mttatiger14 »

Nuke LaLoosh wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:31 am Teams in the TVC (just at a glance, in no specific order; I'm no expert, so my numbers and facts could be a little off)...

Meigs... returns Mattox and Helton, plus a couple pitchers that were very young this year but got significant Varsity experience due to injuries to upperclassmen. This team was "down" this year but still took 2nd in the league, and will reload quickly I suspect.

Alexander... pitched Harris and Colburn most of the season, with a couple younger guys mixed in. Will be young again in 2018 but have some good talent coming. Will probably see some freshmen getting time on the varsity field next year.

Vinton County... look out for this team. They were young, they competed well at times in 2017, and they have a solid coaching staff that will get the program stronger. They surprised a few teams in 2017, and look for them to add more to the list next year.

Wellston... graduated some good athletes, but also return some that got good varsity experience. This team always feels like it could beat anyone at any time. Coach Stevens is doing a nice job of building excitement around baseball in Wellston.

River Valley... probably the hardest team to predict. Always seem to have good athletes, but struggle to put numbers in the win column.

Athens... maybe one of the biggest question-marks of 2018. They will have a whole different look for sure, as we have seen many of the same faces on the field for the past 3-4 years. I wouldn't sleep on them though. Two freshman played a lot of varsity time this year (and they were very good). They also had some good talent on the bench this year, who will certainly be hungry to get on the field and play next season. Some have wondered if Coach Stewart will continue to coach since his son is playing college ball next year (and his daughter is playing softball in high school). That might be the biggest question, but I think Athens has the potential to reload and be very good again in 2018.

Nelsonville-York... there is an uprising in NY, and it is baseball. Coach Dicken(s) are building a lot of excitement around baseball in a predominantly football culture. Robson is an all out stud on the diamond, and no doubt the 2018 team will be built around him on the mound as well as the plate. The whole team can hit well. The biggest question is going to be pitching. Dobbs and Robson got most of the wins in 2017. They will need a couple more guys to rise up and take the ball on the mound in 2018.

I look for next season to be a very interesting one. No team should blow through the league the way Athens did this year. But then again, I could be wrong. Baseball is a hard game to predict.

Coach Stewart announced his retirement a few months ago now. I believe they already made the new hire but not sure who.

marklduckworth
Freshman Team

Post by marklduckworth »

Long time assistant Coach and former Tiger MVP Josh McKitrick will be taking over the helm at Marietta. Brandon Herb (another Tiger great) will also be back to help coach the Tigers. Coaches have worked the boys hard this fall in 4 man workouts and they have been in the cage at 6:30 am to hit. The Tigers have some experience returning and strong young left handed pitching. They will be in the mix and a tough our at Tourney time again.

Return to “Baseball”