Re: 4/19

Post by hilljack »

Rock Hill 5
Chesapeake 4

Wholly_Shnikeys
Riding the Bench

Post by Wholly_Shnikeys »

baseball16 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:14 pm Makes no sense in why teams cancel games on perfectly good nights. Sometimes I wonder if Teams or coaches even want to play baseball. Perfectly good night. I heard on Tues night, 60 degrees and sunny, a team cancelled a makeup game with another and the team that cancelled has a turf infield. My take is this, if you don't want to play anymore then 14-15 games then don't schedule games!! We live in Ohio, Field Conditions and Temps are not always going to be ideal!! Another great indication of our Soft Society!!
It’s ridiculous I agree. My Jeeps (South Webster) have played as many games as any team in Ohio to this point I’d say and stand at 2-15 on the year. They will do anything they can to play even in a rebuilding year (won the district last year), and don’t care to tear up their field a little bit as long as they can get a game in. They’ve picked up multiple games even on days that other teams have cancelled on them because the coach wants his young team with no seniors/two juniors to gain experience. Let the kids play.

oaks15
Waterboy

Post by oaks15 »

Oak Hill 7
Huntington 6

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Poo Bear wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:18 pm
Orange and Brown wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:05 pm
Poo Bear wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:18 pm Varsity cancelled and JV playing ? Makes no sense . Someone out of pitching ?
Apparently one field wasn't in playable condition.
Happened with us a couple times this year on the road and at home.
I would assume that a varsity game would take precedence over a JV game . But that why I don't make the big bucks
I get that but teams want their home games. It isn't often teams are willing to give up a home game to get one in.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Burg4
JV Team

Post by Burg4 »

Wheelersburg 10
Rowan County 6
Final

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Crazy to not just switch locations. Varsity games should be played whenever possible.

Unioto 8
Logan 3

Unioto moves to 12-2.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

danicalifornia wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:24 pm Crazy to not just switch locations. Varsity games should be played whenever possible.

Unioto 8
Logan 3

Unioto moves to 12-2.

I guess teams don't want to give you their home game and would rather play no game

Who knows anymore

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Orange and Brown wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:15 pm
Poo Bear wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:18 pm
Orange and Brown wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:05 pm

Apparently one field wasn't in playable condition.
Happened with us a couple times this year on the road and at home.
I would assume that a varsity game would take precedence over a JV game . But that why I don't make the big bucks
I get that but teams want their home games. It isn't often teams are willing to give up a home game to get one in.
Happens all the time in the SHAC

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Let me add this and then I'll shut up. LOL I believe Athens is a District Tournament Div. 2 Site. If that field was not playable today after today's weather and Afternoon of Sun then I am thinking it's not in very good shape and should not be considered a District Tournament Site!! JMO

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I don't know where you live, but we've had about three straight days of rain, including this morning!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:50 pm I don't know where you live, but we've had about three straight days of rain, including this morning!
It has rained 5-6 straight days (including this morning) in Chillicothe and Unioto has played the last 3 nights.

6-4-3=2o
Varsity

Post by 6-4-3=2o »

Going to try to make this as clear as possible.
Athens is not out of pitching. We've played one game this week. Won 5 games in 5 days last week w 5 different starting pitchers. We're at 10-2 and would play every day if possible. So no, find another reason to hate.
For TVC games, both varsity softball and baseball travel on bus together. If one varsity field isn't playable, neither team goes. We've been on the wrong end of this several times already this year. It sucks. Complaining about it does nothing.
As for today, non league game, so we thought if we could just get our field ready, maybe Jackson would at least bus up their baseball team. We had one coach that was available to work on the field, and he did everything possible to try to get it ready. It didn't work out. Athens had a big downpour last night between 10:00 and midnight, and another lighter one this morning about 9:30. IT HAPPENS. Yes, by the end of the day today, it was a great day for baseball, but you can't just close your eyes and wish the standing water away.
As for switching locations, I agree, varsity should take precedence over JV. This was originally supposed to be a home and away series next week. With league games getting rained out and rescheduled, both teams had to fit in a league game during our originally scheduled dates, and both teams had today open so it was scheduled. Again, IT HAPPENS. I was told that the umpires Athens hired weren't willing to travel down to Jackson and the Jackson umpires that were originally scheduled for the JV game were JV certified only. Not sure if that's the end of story there or not. Bottom line, Athens (and most HS teams) are full of kids that just want to play ball, so please cease with the chatter that this team doesn't want to play that team, blah, blah, blah. It's HS, these kids want to play

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Biggest issue with fans complaining (even I'm guilty) is not understanding that umps (and refs for hoops) are just as important to the equasion as the teams.

6-4-3=2o
Varsity

Post by 6-4-3=2o »

Good for you and the U, dani. Glad the tanks were able to get some games in. I'm sure Coach Taylor is pleased

6-4-3=2o
Varsity

Post by 6-4-3=2o »

And poo bear and baseball16, your posts on this thread are why I mostly just read and refrain from posting.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

I was on the field today. As much as we wanted to play, we couldn't make that happen today. The 2 of us coaches and a special guest (Fred Gibson) were on the field and he said we would of had to start working on it right now if we had a chance and neither of us could stay and had to get back to work.

We took the experience of someone who had coached 3 decades on that field and made a tough decision. We definitely wanted to play, but couldn't make it happen.

As for those worrying about playoff baseball. When Spring Finally gets here our field will be just fine.

Lovebball42
Freshman Team

Post by Lovebball42 »

Waterford 13
Miller 2
Final/5

Return to “Baseball”