Greenup County's Gage Hughes

transplant
SE

Greenup County's Gage Hughes

Post by transplant »

Just saw that Green-up county and Portsmouth Native Gage Hughes was drafted in the 24th round by the Kansas City Royals. Congrats to him and good luck.
Last edited by transplant on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prime Time
All State

Re: Green-up County's Gage Hughes

Post by Prime Time »

Congrats to Gage Hughes. Wow what a honor.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

What a HS career. Congrats to him.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Congratulations Gage! Hopefully you can have a long, fruitful career. Go make our area proud.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Gage actually turned down offers from Boston, Chicago and others in earlier rounds or he would have been drafted sooner. He went to the team he wanted to go to and everything worked out.

Greenup Co also won their state playoff game yesterday 10-0.

Congrats to Gage. The young man has tremendous upside and the possibilities are endless.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Green-up ? are you sure he's from Ports-Mouth ? Anyway congrats to Gage

sportsnation
Waterboy

Post by sportsnation »

i think he actually lives in Wheel-Ers-Burg. its a shame he didn't come to the Burg he would've won some state titles

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:47 am Green-up ? are you sure he's from Ports-Mouth ? Anyway congrats to Gage
sorry, for the error, didn't know this was English class. But anyway, yes quite an accomplishment for the young man. I know his mom and aunts were tremendous athletes too. Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure you will ManitouDan2) but didn't Gage go to wheelersburg at one point then transferred to Greenup?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

sportsnation wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:07 am i think he actually lives in Wheel-Ers-Burg. its a shame he didn't come to the Burg he would've won some state titles
Well he actually did and played jr high baseball at Burg while playing on a very good travel ball team. Was told that wouldnt be an issue until some of the Burg parents kids werent playing and Gage missed a few practices due to travel ball (which was an understanding). So after the b!tching from those parents, Gage was told he couldnt play both Jr High and travel ball and miss jr high practices. So he went to Greenup Co and the rest is history.

Not only would he have been a great addition to Burg's baseball program, but the kid scored almost 3000 points in basketball while at Greenup Co.

And they live in Franklin Furnace, not Burg btw.

transplant
SE

Re: Greenup County's Gage Hughes

Post by transplant »

I assume he played varsity baseball as a 7th or 8th grader, did he play basketball that young as well?

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Bleeding Red wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:48 am
sportsnation wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:07 am i think he actually lives in Wheel-Ers-Burg. its a shame he didn't come to the Burg he would've won some state titles
Well he actually did and played jr high baseball at Burg while playing on a very good travel ball team. Was told that wouldnt be an issue until some of the Burg parents kids werent playing and Gage missed a few practices due to travel ball (which was an understanding). So after the b!tching from those parents, Gage was told he couldnt play both Jr High and travel ball and miss jr high practices. So he went to Greenup Co and the rest is history.

Not only would he have been a great addition to Burg's baseball program, but the kid scored almost 3000 points in basketball while at Greenup Co.

Actually a little more to that story than that.

Reg79
Waterboy

Post by Reg79 »

Cry me a river, 1 kid that could've went to burg didn't. Open enrollment has ruined some of the local sports programs, and wheelersburg seems to benefit the most from it.

Mavrick2016
JV Team

Post by Mavrick2016 »

Gage lives in High Furnace, which is Green School District.
He went to the Burg until he transfer to Greenup Co.
in Jr. High.

Reg79
Waterboy

Post by Reg79 »

Mavrick2016 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:46 am Gage lives in High Furnace, which is Green School District.
He went to the Burg until he transfer to Greenup Co.
in Jr. High.
Exactly my point. Like it was a forgone conclusion he should have went to burg and he didn't even live in the district, while some districts would just like to see the kids living in the district go to that school, not even worrying about kids coming in from other districts.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

fbnut wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:42 pm

Not too much more than that.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Bleeding Red wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:58 pm

Hard to tell a kid he can miss practice to do travel ball and you tell other kids they can’t miss practice for track. Coach realized it was a little bit of a double standard and he corrected it.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

fbnut wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:14 pm
Bleeding Red wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:58 pm

Hard to tell a kid he can miss practice to do travel ball and you tell other kids they can’t miss practice for track. Coach realized it was a little bit of a double standard and he corrected it.
“The Burg way” the teams more important than an individual
See very good athletes leave burg all the time because coaches do what’s best for the team and don’t listen to what daddy and mommy think

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

This is not true whatsoever , Gauge was going to miss half of the JR high schedule due to him playing on the travel team, and during tryouts the decision was made that he would play travel ball and not JR high, in which I do not blame him for doing so, To miss half the season would be to much

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

I've heard 10 different stories from 10 different people why Hughes left. Doesn't really matter now, but would've been interesting if he stayed at Burg (in basketball as well...him and Holden would have been a blast to watch). Good kid from a good family...glad to see a local kid doing well for himself and will be rooting him on.*

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

It's over he's gone , Burg survived, never heard of him.

Return to “Baseball”