TVC Hocking 2018

coyote
Riding the Bench

Re: TVC Hocking 2018

Post by coyote »

Mattox's open enrollment was denied by Eastern's Board. He will not be attending Eastern. His grades are below Easterns requirements for open enrollment.

Michigan n Trumbull
Riding the Bench

Post by Michigan n Trumbull »

coyote wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:21 pm Mattox's open enrollment was denied by Eastern's Board. He will not be attending Eastern. His grades are below Easterns requirements for open enrollment.
Looks like Southern or Wahama now move to the front of the line. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

coyote wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:21 pm Mattox's open enrollment was denied by Eastern's Board. He will not be attending Eastern. His grades are below Easterns requirements for open enrollment.
Before coming on here you might really want to know the correct information. A student cannot be denied enrollment for below grades. As of right now it was denied because of how late it was in the year.

I am not commenting further, but there will be some new information available soon.

Thanks!!!

tomcat82
Freshman Team

Post by tomcat82 »

Hixson played TTYL baseball back in the day...... We will see if he plays or not. That's the rumor in gtown....

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

tvc_fan wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:41 pm
Before coming on here you might really want to know the correct information. A student cannot be denied enrollment for below grades. As of right now it was denied because of how late it was in the year.

I am not commenting further, but there will be some new information available soon.

Thanks!!!
ISNT OPEN ENROLLMENT DECISION UPTO THE PRINCIPAL

Ol' Bud
Waterboy

Post by Ol' Bud »

91blue14 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:22 am

Thanks!!!
No. Eastern school board voted 4-1 against accepting mattox.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

Ol' Bud wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:51 am

Thanks!!!
thanks

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

That seems so very strange. I was under the impression, like 91blue14, that the principal of the school had the say of open enrollment. Not unless typically they recommend to accept on a normal basis, but since it was denied it gained a little more attention.

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

Ol' Bud wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:51 am

Thanks!!!
Where do you all get your info, because there was no vote. The decision to deny was made by Superintendent and Principle, saying the Open Enrollment was put in to late of the school year. (Although there is proof they accepted kids last year in Jan., Feb, March and April last year. Meigs is doing everything they can to not let him go anywhere. But there is still steps being taken to make things happens.

It is a sad situation for a kid to be denied an education and a chance to further his education beyond high school.
They would rather a kid drop out of school, possibly take a wrong path in life, then see him better himself, graduate from another school, because they are afraid of 1) If he goes to Eastern and would happen to not graduate or drop out, it is a hit on their percentages.2) Him play Baseball.

This is not about him going to play Baseball. This is about him getting an education, graduation and college after.

If he was not a 4 year Varsity Football Player, 3 year Varsity Basketball Player, and would have been a 4 year Baseball player. Meigs would release him in a heartbeat, They simply don't want him to play for anyone else, and this is known by after someone releases him, they are on the phone making phone calls not wanting him to play anywhere else.

It's a sad situation, I am a Meigs Alumni, I have 2 other Sons that are Meigs Alumnis, We have been and always will support the Maroon and Gold. I will still wish the Meigs Baseball Program success, because there are many boys that are still playing that I coached since minor league ball.

People can talk and rumors can fly, but before posting things you don't have a clue about is ridiculous. School Systems are supposed to be there to support and help kids, and this is not being done, All they care about is winning the battle of whether he plays baseball somewhere else. So in the end I hope those involved really feels good about themselves for turning a kid away that only wants to better himself for the future.

I am proud of this kids determination and will to move forward and not just give up, say he is 18 and can drop out of school, go out get in trouble and on the wrong path in life. But he keeps his head up, continues to go to school, bettering his grades 86.50%, 81.05%, 93%, 91.48% and 100% working his 120 hours of Community Service (has put in 10 hours in 2 days and be continuing on tomorrow.

So all those Negative people making him out to be a bad kid, better see the whole picture before judging. He made a mistake and played a game of basketball during baseball season and he had ONE class that he had trouble in. He is paying the price and has put it behind him and looking forward.

Thanks...One Proud Dad!!!

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Not sure the public airing of all of these opinions by everyone is in the best interest of what is really important here, but that's just me.

Hopefully all this works itself out (quietly) and what matters most gets accomplished for the young man.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

Has he applied to Southern or Wahama?

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

I don't think he is being denied an education.....if education was the sole desire to avoid that wrong path of life you mention, then why try and go anywhere? He can get an education at Meigs? Not sure why an issue of an education requires a move and "a plan in place"

Seems his grades have improved, so maybe the problem was just a lack of focus, or maybe too much going on during basketball/baseball/extra basketball....glad he's grades are heading back in the direction he wants

coyote
Riding the Bench

Post by coyote »

Meigs has more to do with it than anyone else. They are all for taking athletes from Eastern or Southern, but when someone wants to leave, they do everything they can to hang onto them. It is sad to see a kid being denied the opportunity to graduate. If certain people at Meigs are as upstanding people as they claim to be they would allow him to leave. Meigs has much more of a say in this than anyone at Eastern( and it was the principal: there hasn't even been a board meeting since he applied)

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

All he had to do is to wear a uniform 2 days a week that was required in his Criminal Justice Class and he still have been on the basketball team. Follow the rules that his baseball coach and he would been on baseball team. Seem like to me he has trouble follow the rules

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

TVC wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:00 am Has he applied to Southern or Wahama?
No he has not applied anywhere else.

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

Fonzie wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:12 am I don't think he is being denied an education.....if education was the sole desire to avoid that wrong path of life you mention, then why try and go anywhere? He can get an education at Meigs? Not sure why an issue of an education requires a move and "a plan in place"

Seems his grades have improved, so maybe the problem was just a lack of focus, or maybe too much going on during basketball/baseball/extra basketball....glad he's grades are heading back in the direction he wants
It's a little different staying at a school that is treating you the way they have treated him.

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

itsme wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:02 am All he had to do is to wear a uniform 2 days a week that was required in his Criminal Justice Class and he still have been on the basketball team. Follow the rules that his baseball coach and he would been on baseball team. Seem like to me he has trouble follow the rules
I'd say you are thankful for what has happened, you are more then likely off the bench now that he is gone...maybe you were one of the players that tattled...just saying.

And did this rule apply to the 3 other boys that were playing basketball the same day at another place? Pretty sure that first week of practice he went to weren't mandatory, but that's beside the point!!!

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

tvc_fan wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:33 pm
Fonzie wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:12 am I don't think he is being denied an education.....if education was the sole desire to avoid that wrong path of life you mention, then why try and go anywhere? He can get an education at Meigs? Not sure why an issue of an education requires a move and "a plan in place"

It's a little different staying at a school that is treating you the way they have treated him.
Expecting him to follow rules and expecting him to perform in the classroom? Didn't realize that was cruel treatment.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Just a random thought here, but:

Maybe throw yourself on your sword, mea culpa style, tell coach and players you are sorry for disrespecting the rules and ask forgiveness. Sit out 6-8 games at Meigs for "punishment". Be at all the practices and games, help warm up people, be the first out of the dugout to congratulate, someone etc. etc., take a freshman or sophomore under his wing and help out the team while you wait until you get a chance to see field.

Graduate from your "home" school and get right.

Heartfelt apology from an 18 year old kid goes a long way.

I have watched him since he started the "lightning delay" game at Jackson and led Meigs back from a 4-1 deficit or whatever it was. We were supposed to go to Zanesville that year and he shut us down. Lot of respect for a freshman that does that.

Say your sorry, ask for forgiveness and see what happens. I doubt the cause is entirely lost. Kid deserves to be in Maroon and on the bump come playoff time. Just a thought. Wish him well.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

doubleplay643 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:50 pm Just a random thought here, but:

Maybe throw yourself on your sword, mea culpa style, tell coach and players you are sorry for disrespecting the rules and ask forgiveness. Sit out 6-8 games at Meigs for "punishment". Be at all the practices and games, help warm up people, be the first out of the dugout to congratulate, someone etc. etc., take a freshman or sophomore under his wing and help out the team while you wait until you get a chance to see field.

Graduate from your "home" school and get right.

Heartfelt apology from an 18 year old kid goes a long way.

I have watched him since he started the "lightning delay" game at Jackson and led Meigs back from a 4-1 deficit or whatever it was. We were supposed to go to Zanesville that year and he shut us down. Lot of respect for a freshman that does that.

Say your sorry, ask for forgiveness and see what happens. I doubt the cause is entirely lost. Kid deserves to be in Maroon and on the bump come playoff time. Just a thought. Wish him well.
I do not disagree with that post one single bit. The only problem I see is that too often we see parents trying to bail kids out of problems rather than letting them learn from the consequences. When kids are taught it's easier to run from the issue or seek greener pasture, you see a decline in taking responsibility for their actions and making things right. I will agree apologies go a very long way coming from an 18-year-old, but what would really be the defining factor, is a young man doing the other things you mentioned. If a kid SHOWS he feels remorse, and SHOWS he is willing to be a part of the program no matter the contribution, that is when you have a special young man.

Return to “Baseball”