OHSAA votes down the proposal to extend the season

petesweaty
All Conference

OHSAA votes down the proposal to extend the season

Post by petesweaty »

The OHSAA voted 7-2 to deny the OHSBCA proposal to extend the high school baseball season for two weeks. I believe that it would have went into effect the 2019 season. The new pitch count and northern Ohio schools constant battle with the weather were the two selling points. With the extra two weeks though, the game limit would not be increased. Also, the State Tournament would have been in mid June.

Thoughts?

Rufus
JV Team

Re: OHSAA votes down the proposal to extend the season

Post by Rufus »

Did coaches have any say? Seems like this would have been great for small schools that don't have the pitching staffs that the big schools have. Especially with the new pitching rule.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Great move. You'd have kids forgoing playing HS ball because it would run into travel ball.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I'm in between. Since the amount of games wasn't going to change, I didn't see a huge need for it. But, why does the tournament have to be so incredibly spread out?

I would like to see them increase the amount of games, it isn't like you're required to play the limit, so coaches could just play as many as they wanted.

Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

bman wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:02 pm Great move. You'd have kids forgoing playing HS ball because it would run into travel ball.
Travel ball would adjust and start later I think

Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:42 am I'm in between. Since the amount of games wasn't going to change, I didn't see a huge need for it. But, why does the tournament have to be so incredibly spread out?

I would like to see them increase the amount of games, it isn't like you're required to play the limit, so coaches could just play as many as they wanted.
The big need would be for smaller schools where pitching isn't as deep. Playing same amount of games with 2 extra weeks cuts down on number of games per week. And with the weather in Ohio a high percentage of games get canceled in the first few weeks so extending the season would give schools a better opportunity to make these games up. As I it is now games are packed so tightly together that it's almost impossible to makeup games. So now you're not playing as many games as your allowed.

Buddy Garrity
Waterboy

Post by Buddy Garrity »

Mailman wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:16 am
bman wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:02 pm Great move. You'd have kids forgoing playing HS ball because it would run into travel ball.
Travel ball would adjust and start later I think
I disagree, I live in the Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia tri-state area. My kid plays on a WV travel team, they do not give 2 craps about OHSAA rules....

Return to “Baseball”