DII Southeast District

mhs95_06
S

Re: DII Southeast District

Post by mhs95_06 »

Marietta 000 004 0 -- 4
Warren. 103 000 1 -- 5

Dennis took the mound first and the Warriors put 5 zeroes up thru 5, surviving two 2 out walks in the 1st, a 1 out single in the 2nd, 2 out single and double in the 4th and a lead-off walk to the #9 batter in the 5th. D. Duckworth and the Tigers were not as fortunate, giving up a 2 out chopper single to SS, a WP, and another chopper to SS that he tried to make a great play to quickly get it to first, but the ball got by him to LF and the first run scored on a hit and error on that play. Then with 1 out in the 3rd, the 1st 3 batters in the order went BB, 1B, and HR for E. Gandee to put Warren ahead 4-0. In the 5th Warren got a lead-off walk and a sac bunt, then a K, and then Corbin Alkire came in to pitch to the #1 batter in the order and got a called 3rd strike to end the 5th.

In the 6th, the Tigers got 2 singles and an error to load the bases with none out. Then a SF for a run and a walk to re-load the bases, and a single for the 2nd run. Then K. Hill tied the game with a double to LCF with 1 out. D. Huffman came into the pitch and induced a grounder to 1B that was thrown home and resulted in a hot box out between home and 3B, and runners on 2nd and 3rd with 2 out. A K ended the top of the 6th tied at 4-4. Alkire and the Tigers retired the Warriors in order in the 5th and 6th on 3 Ks and 3 fly balls.

Then to lead off the bottom of the 7th, #8 hitter, catcher T. Miller, went to a 3-2 count and hit a drive down the LF line and over the short porch wall which was judged to be slightly foul. He then fouled off a couple pitches and then hit another drive that cleared the wall, this time fair by quite a margin, and the Warriors celebrated their walk-off sectional championship.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Congrats to coach Lemley on a Sectional Title! However, this is another reason why the SE district Tournament is flawed! Marietta a 4 seed had to travel to an 8 seeded Warren Local Team. Always puzzled me why ? "Because they are the top team on the bracket." was always the explanation. I believe through Districts it should be the higher seed as the home team. Why do you play the Regular Season? Marietta earned that 4 seed. Warren is hot and I get they Beat the 1 seed to "steal" the bracket but that is 1 game. Regular season determines where a team is on the bracket. For that the SE district needs to start rewarding Regular seasons and allow Higher SEEDS to host games. JMO. Again, not taking anything away from Warren they did what they were suppose to do!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

baseball16 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:29 am Congrats to coach Lemley on a Sectional Title! However, this is another reason why the SE district Tournament is flawed! Marietta a 4 seed had to travel to an 8 seeded Warren Local Team. Always puzzled me why ? "Because they are the top team on the bracket." was always the explanation. I believe through Districts it should be the higher seed as the home team. Why do you play the Regular Season? Marietta earned that 4 seed. Warren is hot and I get they Beat the 1 seed to "steal" the bracket but that is 1 game. Regular season determines where a team is on the bracket. For that the SE district needs to start rewarding Regular seasons and allow Higher SEEDS to host games. JMO. Again, not taking anything away from Warren they did what they were suppose to do!
I thought that was standard practice in the state of Ohio brackets, not just southeast district? I've always said "if you beat the No. 1 seed, you become the No. 1 seed."

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:21 am
baseball16 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:29 am Congrats to coach Lemley on a Sectional Title! However, this is another reason why the SE district Tournament is flawed! Marietta a 4 seed had to travel to an 8 seeded Warren Local Team. Always puzzled me why ? "Because they are the top team on the bracket." was always the explanation. I believe through Districts it should be the higher seed as the home team. Why do you play the Regular Season? Marietta earned that 4 seed. Warren is hot and I get they Beat the 1 seed to "steal" the bracket but that is 1 game. Regular season determines where a team is on the bracket. For that the SE district needs to start rewarding Regular seasons and allow Higher SEEDS to host games. JMO. Again, not taking anything away from Warren they did what they were suppose to do!
I thought that was standard practice in the state of Ohio brackets, not just southeast district? I've always said "if you beat the No. 1 seed, you become the No. 1 seed."
No, some districts have stated on the brackets highest seeded team host. (Ohsaa.org) So if you play 1 game and beat the higher seed then that washes everything out from Regular Season and Seeding? Really doesn't justify to me why a team "steals" that seed! Marietta, in this case, did what they were suppose to do as a 4 seed and move on. So your reward, go to a lower seeded teams home field. Thanks for playing! LOL

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

I actually challenge you to find for me where another District re-brackets.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Wow, could you cry a little more? It’s a baseball field, Warren had a fine season and all you want to do is toss disrespect. Real classy. Just another example of people in society who cry about rules. Get over it and come watch Warren in the Districts.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

COLLINS WESTERN RESERVE Seed: 10 3
Date: 5/15/2019 Time: 5:00 PM
Better Seeded Team’s Site
Site / Contact Info
BUCYRUS WYNFORD Seed: 12 4

KANSAS LAKOTA Seed: 5 4
Site / Contact Info
OAK HARBOR Seed: 7 12

HURON Seed: 4 8
Date: 5/15/2019 Time: 12:00 AM
Site / Contact Info
ASHLAND CRESTVIEW Seed: 11 0

BUCYRUS Seed: 8 8
Site / Contact Info
WILLARD Seed: 13 0

NEW LONDON Seed: 6 5
Date: 5/15/2019 Time: 4:00 PM
Site / Contact Info
ELMORE WOODMORE Seed: 9 1

UPPER SANDUSKY Seed: 1
Date: 5/17/2019 Time: 5:00 PM
Site / Contact Info

BUCYRUS WYNFORD Seed: 12

OAK HARBOR Seed: 7
Site / Contact Info

HURON Seed: 4

MILAN EDISON Seed: 2
Site / Contact Info

BUCYRUS Seed: 8

GIBSONBURG Seed: 3
Site / Contact Info

NEW LONDON Seed: 6

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:48 am
Wow, could you cry a little more? It’s a baseball field, Warren had a fine season and all you want to do is toss disrespect. Real classy. Just another example of people in society who cry about rules. Get over it and come watch Warren in the Districts.
Not Crying, Just giving an opinion. Congrats to Warren! They Won! Proud of them! Did what they were suppose to do!
Just don't agree that teams play 22-25 game regular season games to get a high seed but one upset changes everything. Home field advantage in baseball is important! JMO. Relax Barlow, don't get your panties in a wad! Good luck to Warren in the Districts!
Last edited by baseball16 on Fri May 17, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

http://officials.myohsaa.org/Admin/Brac ... mentId=758

http://officials.myohsaa.org/Admin/Brac ... mentId=751

http://officials.myohsaa.org/Admin/Brac ... mentId=725

So, in Division 2, the Northwest and Southwest both explicated say it on all of their brackets.

Same in D1, D3, and D4.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I’m cool with it switching, especially if you smoke a team like Warren smoked us on Tuesday, but it is ridiculous to say that we do it similar to everyone else in the state.

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

Never liked the "stealing seeds" scenario, you win those seeds by winning games during the season, and lose them by wiinning a tourney game ??

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

baseball16 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:08 am
thebarlowbandit wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:48 am
Not Crying, Just giving an opinion. Congrats to Warren! They Won! Proud of them! Did what they were suppose to do!
Just don't agree that teams play 22-25 game regular season games to get a high seed but one upset changes everything. Home field advantage in baseball is important! JMO. Relax Barlow, don't get your panties in a wad! Good luck to Warren in the Districts!
I'm not a fan of switching home fields either, but my initial thought is that home field has the least impact on baseball of any of the major sports at the high school level.

I guess in some cases, the field dimensions could alter some plays, like a ball might have been a HR at one park but fell short at another. Crowds don't really make a difference. Bases are always the same length. I suppose if one team plays on turf and the other doesn't, that could be an issue.

I'm curious as to why you think home field is so important in baseball. Also, do you think something would have been different in this game specifically had it been at Marietta?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

You get the last at bat. That’s the difference, I’d never want to give that up.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

danicalifornia wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:58 am You get the last at bat. That’s the difference, I’d never want to give that up.
Thank you! there are other factors as well but that's a biggie!
homerun probably not a homerun at Marietta. But dimensions not that big of a deal to me. It's the same for all.

Treyman3
Freshman Team

Post by Treyman3 »

Besides having the last at bat, (which can really change strategies in a close game) the ability to be on your own field, take batting practice instead of taking a bus trip, sometimes a long bus trip, can also be advantageous.

blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

only in the southeast district does a #4 seed travel to play a #8 seed

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

blackshooky wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:44 pm only in the southeast district does a #4 seed travel to play a #8 seed
They will also get to bat last Monday vs (2) Circleville. lol

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:53 pm
blackshooky wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:44 pm only in the southeast district does a #4 seed travel to play a #8 seed
Seeds are irrelevant in District play as you are coming out of different sectionals. Warren already defeated the #1 in that sectional.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:23 am
Seeds are irrelevant in District play as you are coming out of different sectionals. Warren already defeated the #1 in that sectional.
Yeah, I get it, I was just kinda poking fun at the conversation.
In terms of different sectionals though, It's still the same bracket.
An 8 seed with double digit losses will be the home team vs a 2 seed with a stellar regular season record.

Dexter Morgan
Riding the Bench

Post by Dexter Morgan »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:25 am
thebarlowbandit wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:23 am

Yeah, I get it, I was just kinda poking fun at the conversation.
In terms of different sectionals though, It's still the same bracket.
An 8 seed with double digit losses will be the home team vs a 2 seed with a stellar regular season record.
Warren is 18-7.

Return to “Baseball”