DII Southeast District

Treyman3
Riding the Bench
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: DII Southeast District

Post by Treyman3 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:32 am

Robo wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:18 pm
The problem with SE district is ncaa seeding on the bracket They need to seed the whole Division than the seeded can put itself anywhere on the bracket. Central District, SW district does this but the SE district refuses to do this.
Agree 100%, nothing wrong with coaches voting. Computer point system to determine seeds certainly isn't the answer, especially in baseball where everyone plays different teams, different leagues.

Absolutely no reason there for 2 small sectionals in the Southeast. They "claim" its because of travel, but they have different teams in the 2 sectionals for baseball and basketball, what sense does that make? Whoever runs the SE refuses to look at it or do anything about it. Kinda like setting up District baseball games 2 hours apart, they know it's impossible to do that, but do it every year.

Allowing teams to place themselves on the bracket would also take care of a lot of the politics involved in the voting process.



danicalifornia
SEOPS H
Posts: 7746
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:09 pm
Location: Chillicothe

Re: DII Southeast District

Post by danicalifornia » Tue May 07, 2019 10:16 am

Treyman3 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:32 am
Robo wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:18 pm
The problem with SE district is ncaa seeding on the bracket They need to seed the whole Division than the seeded can put itself anywhere on the bracket. Central District, SW district does this but the SE district refuses to do this.
Agree 100%, nothing wrong with coaches voting. Computer point system to determine seeds certainly isn't the answer, especially in baseball where everyone plays different teams, different leagues.

Absolutely no reason there for 2 small sectionals in the Southeast. They "claim" its because of travel, but they have different teams in the 2 sectionals for baseball and basketball, what sense does that make? Whoever runs the SE refuses to look at it or do anything about it. Kinda like setting up District baseball games 2 hours apart, they know it's impossible to do that, but do it every year.

Allowing teams to place themselves on the bracket would also take care of a lot of the politics involved in the voting process.
Yep, we can’t do a super sectional, but could have McClain at Sheridan or Marietta/Warren at Unioto on school nights. Makes sense.



Pol pot
S
Posts: 1826
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: DII Southeast District

Post by Pol pot » Tue May 07, 2019 11:53 am

Abe Froman wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:21 am
Someone explain to me in simple terms I can understand why in the heck is it so hard to take the nonsense out of this seeding selection method and apply non-subjective math to this process.

Something like the Harbin system in Football. Different points for beating teams of differing divisions, use a divisor to adjust for the different amount of games played since there can be 3-4 games or more difference in how many games each teams play.

Have the SEDAB or similar OHSAA organization keep track of this in a simple excel spreadsheet and rank them 1-9 or 1-10 or whatever it is for each division in each sectional.

It's 2019 people this shouldn't be this hard, and we all know that allegiances within each grouping affect the seeds. Yeah, yeah I know you got beat em all at some point but getting the seeds correct in an objective manner to start with can't be that hard can it?

Someone said the voting was due early this week and the results are posted Sunday? So how many games this week weren't even considered? No reason to not count every game played through Saturday, input the results, hit enter on your spreadsheet and post the seedings in 5 minutes. Yet we continue this 5-7 day process? I don't get it, seems crazy to me.
Oh, it could be done. But ask Joe Eitel how much work it is keeping track of a sport that plays only 10 games and for the most part 80% on one night with schedules that are set a year out. Now, track a sport like baseball where games change daily, and each team will play 4-5 games a week.



Abe Froman
All State
Posts: 1410
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:47 am
Location: Chicago

Re: DII Southeast District

Post by Abe Froman » Tue May 07, 2019 12:49 pm

Pol pot wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:53 am
Abe Froman wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:21 am
Someone explain to me in simple terms I can understand why in the heck is it so hard to take the nonsense out of this seeding selection method and apply non-subjective math to this process.

Something like the Harbin system in Football. Different points for beating teams of differing divisions, use a divisor to adjust for the different amount of games played since there can be 3-4 games or more difference in how many games each teams play.

Have the SEDAB or similar OHSAA organization keep track of this in a simple excel spreadsheet and rank them 1-9 or 1-10 or whatever it is for each division in each sectional.

It's 2019 people this shouldn't be this hard, and we all know that allegiances within each grouping affect the seeds. Yeah, yeah I know you got beat em all at some point but getting the seeds correct in an objective manner to start with can't be that hard can it?

Someone said the voting was due early this week and the results are posted Sunday? So how many games this week weren't even considered? No reason to not count every game played through Saturday, input the results, hit enter on your spreadsheet and post the seedings in 5 minutes. Yet we continue this 5-7 day process? I don't get it, seems crazy to me.
Oh, it could be done. But ask Joe Eitel how much work it is keeping track of a sport that plays only 10 games and for the most part 80% on one night with schedules that are set a year out. Now, track a sport like baseball where games change daily, and each team will play 4-5 games a week.
Number of games played and calculating a "point" total is irrelevant to a computer. Having the correct information to calculate is the issue.

OHSAA just recently announced that GameChanger is the app that will now be used to collect information on the pitch count. So every pitcher on every High School team will now have the number of pitches they threw collected by this app. Seems pretty simple to me that in addition to uploading the number of pitches that 2,000 kids in Ohio throw every day/week you just add the ability to report the score of the game as well. The GC app is unreal with capability.

If you using it to keep track of every pitcher use it to track a schools record as well, download each HS record to excel and a pivot table, insert formula for points both primary and secondary or whatever the calculation methodology is, adjust by a divisor for games played against the maximum allowed, and then post it online middle of the week before play-offs so every coach or district manager can verify their record is accurate and boom.

Can't approach this like a 50-year old with a pen, paper, and Texas Instrument calculator. Use an app for data collection, convert the data, insert it, and look at results. Give the problem to a 24-year old Computer Science grad that loves sports and stats and it will be done tomorrow. No need to act like this is some technology mountain that can't be climbed.



Omega
SE
Posts: 2470
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:45 pm
Location: Cooley Springs, SC

Re: DII Southeast District

Post by Omega » Tue May 07, 2019 1:13 pm

Excel, databases, pivot tables, macros, oh my!

Mr. Froman, what you suggest is too obvious but those words brought back fond memories of my working career.


The best two years of my life were spent in the third grade.

Pol pot
S
Posts: 1826
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: DII Southeast District

Post by Pol pot » Sat May 11, 2019 6:33 am

Abe Froman wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:49 pm
Pol pot wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:53 am
Abe Froman wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:21 am
Someone explain to me in simple terms I can understand why in the heck is it so hard to take the nonsense out of this seeding selection method and apply non-subjective math to this process.

Something like the Harbin system in Football. Different points for beating teams of differing divisions, use a divisor to adjust for the different amount of games played since there can be 3-4 games or more difference in how many games each teams play.

Have the SEDAB or similar OHSAA organization keep track of this in a simple excel spreadsheet and rank them 1-9 or 1-10 or whatever it is for each division in each sectional.

It's 2019 people this shouldn't be this hard, and we all know that allegiances within each grouping affect the seeds. Yeah, yeah I know you got beat em all at some point but getting the seeds correct in an objective manner to start with can't be that hard can it?

Someone said the voting was due early this week and the results are posted Sunday? So how many games this week weren't even considered? No reason to not count every game played through Saturday, input the results, hit enter on your spreadsheet and post the seedings in 5 minutes. Yet we continue this 5-7 day process? I don't get it, seems crazy to me.
Oh, it could be done. But ask Joe Eitel how much work it is keeping track of a sport that plays only 10 games and for the most part 80% on one night with schedules that are set a year out. Now, track a sport like baseball where games change daily, and each team will play 4-5 games a week.
Number of games played and calculating a "point" total is irrelevant to a computer. Having the correct information to calculate is the issue.

OHSAA just recently announced that GameChanger is the app that will now be used to collect information on the pitch count. So every pitcher on every High School team will now have the number of pitches they threw collected by this app. Seems pretty simple to me that in addition to uploading the number of pitches that 2,000 kids in Ohio throw every day/week you just add the ability to report the score of the game as well. The GC app is unreal with capability.

If you using it to keep track of every pitcher use it to track a schools record as well, download each HS record to excel and a pivot table, insert formula for points both primary and secondary or whatever the calculation methodology is, adjust by a divisor for games played against the maximum allowed, and then post it online middle of the week before play-offs so every coach or district manager can verify their record is accurate and boom.

Can't approach this like a 50-year old with a pen, paper, and Texas Instrument calculator. Use an app for data collection, convert the data, insert it, and look at results. Give the problem to a 24-year old Computer Science grad that loves sports and stats and it will be done tomorrow. No need to act like this is some technology mountain that can't be climbed.
It’s the official APP from a marketing perspective, not a mandatory APP that must be used every game by each team. And I am well aware that calculating is not hard for a computer, but getting the data in a sport like baseball and softball is next to impossible. But it sounds like you are on the verge of something great!

You know Joe Eitel started his site as a hobby, and now it’s an actual business where he is making some money. Why don’t you fire this program up for baseball and let’s see what the computer says? Grab you that 24 year old computer science person and make a trial run next season! I think it would be awesome!



smurray
SEOPS
Posts: 5863
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:52 pm

Re: DII Southeast District

Post by smurray » Sat May 11, 2019 11:03 am

Pol pot wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:33 am
Abe Froman wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:49 pm
Pol pot wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:53 am


Oh, it could be done. But ask Joe Eitel how much work it is keeping track of a sport that plays only 10 games and for the most part 80% on one night with schedules that are set a year out. Now, track a sport like baseball where games change daily, and each team will play 4-5 games a week.
Number of games played and calculating a "point" total is irrelevant to a computer. Having the correct information to calculate is the issue.

OHSAA just recently announced that GameChanger is the app that will now be used to collect information on the pitch count. So every pitcher on every High School team will now have the number of pitches they threw collected by this app. Seems pretty simple to me that in addition to uploading the number of pitches that 2,000 kids in Ohio throw every day/week you just add the ability to report the score of the game as well. The GC app is unreal with capability.

If you using it to keep track of every pitcher use it to track a schools record as well, download each HS record to excel and a pivot table, insert formula for points both primary and secondary or whatever the calculation methodology is, adjust by a divisor for games played against the maximum allowed, and then post it online middle of the week before play-offs so every coach or district manager can verify their record is accurate and boom.

Can't approach this like a 50-year old with a pen, paper, and Texas Instrument calculator. Use an app for data collection, convert the data, insert it, and look at results. Give the problem to a 24-year old Computer Science grad that loves sports and stats and it will be done tomorrow. No need to act like this is some technology mountain that can't be climbed.
It’s the official APP from a marketing perspective, not a mandatory APP that must be used every game by each team. And I am well aware that calculating is not hard for a computer, but getting the data in a sport like baseball and softball is next to impossible. But it sounds like you are on the verge of something great!

You know Joe Eitel started his site as a hobby, and now it’s an actual business where he is making some money. Why don’t you fire this program up for baseball and let’s see what the computer says? Grab you that 24 year old computer science person and make a trial run next season! I think it would be awesome!
It can be done....



Ironman92
SEOPS Mr. Ohio
Posts: 19314
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 am

Re: DII Southeast District

Post by Ironman92 » Sat May 11, 2019 12:21 pm

Warren 5
Jackson 3

4th inning

Warren led 5-0 after 3



Ironman92
SEOPS Mr. Ohio
Posts: 19314
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 am

Re: DII Southeast District

Post by Ironman92 » Sat May 11, 2019 12:22 pm

Warren 6-5 bottom 4



Ironman92
SEOPS Mr. Ohio
Posts: 19314
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 am

Re: DII Southeast District

Post by Ironman92 » Sat May 11, 2019 12:37 pm

Warren 6-5 bottom of 5

Jackson had bases loaded but couldn’t breakthrough



countywide35
S
Posts: 1928
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:38 am

Re: DII Southeast District

Post by countywide35 » Sat May 11, 2019 12:58 pm

Ironman92 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:37 pm
Warren 6-5 bottom of 5

Jackson had bases loaded but couldn’t breakthrough


Thanks for the update I92.


2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion

Jackie Moon
Riding the Bench
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:09 am

Re: DII Southeast District

Post by Jackie Moon » Sat May 11, 2019 2:34 pm

What was the final of Jackson at Warren?



Dexter Morgan
Waterboy
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:33 pm

Re: DII Southeast District

Post by Dexter Morgan » Sat May 11, 2019 2:49 pm

Warren 9
Jackson 5



Pol pot
S
Posts: 1826
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: DII Southeast District

Post by Pol pot » Sat May 11, 2019 7:06 pm

smurray wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:03 am
Pol pot wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:33 am
Abe Froman wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:49 pm


Number of games played and calculating a "point" total is irrelevant to a computer. Having the correct information to calculate is the issue.

OHSAA just recently announced that GameChanger is the app that will now be used to collect information on the pitch count. So every pitcher on every High School team will now have the number of pitches they threw collected by this app. Seems pretty simple to me that in addition to uploading the number of pitches that 2,000 kids in Ohio throw every day/week you just add the ability to report the score of the game as well. The GC app is unreal with capability.

If you using it to keep track of every pitcher use it to track a schools record as well, download each HS record to excel and a pivot table, insert formula for points both primary and secondary or whatever the calculation methodology is, adjust by a divisor for games played against the maximum allowed, and then post it online middle of the week before play-offs so every coach or district manager can verify their record is accurate and boom.

Can't approach this like a 50-year old with a pen, paper, and Texas Instrument calculator. Use an app for data collection, convert the data, insert it, and look at results. Give the problem to a 24-year old Computer Science grad that loves sports and stats and it will be done tomorrow. No need to act like this is some technology mountain that can't be climbed.
It’s the official APP from a marketing perspective, not a mandatory APP that must be used every game by each team. And I am well aware that calculating is not hard for a computer, but getting the data in a sport like baseball and softball is next to impossible. But it sounds like you are on the verge of something great!

You know Joe Eitel started his site as a hobby, and now it’s an actual business where he is making some money. Why don’t you fire this program up for baseball and let’s see what the computer says? Grab you that 24 year old computer science person and make a trial run next season! I think it would be awesome!
It can be done....
Then do it! Joe Eitel proved it and it’s paid off for him. Show us all how easy it will be.



User avatar
doubleplay643
S
Posts: 1772
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:40 pm

Re: DII Southeast District

Post by doubleplay643 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:04 pm

Athens and VC still on for this evening?

I see where some of others were cancelled.



ShoeHorn
JV Team
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:18 pm

Re: DII Southeast District

Post by ShoeHorn » Mon May 13, 2019 2:25 pm

doubleplay643 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:04 pm
Athens and VC still on for this evening?

I see where some of others were cancelled.
No, moved to Tuesday at 5:00.



25th Street NW
JV Team
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:09 pm

Re: DII Southeast District

Post by 25th Street NW » Mon May 13, 2019 4:35 pm

It looks like 6 of the 8 D2 games have been postponed until Tuesday.
I know that Ross and Pickaway Counties had a couple downpours between Noon and 1pm.



User avatar
Raider6309
SEOPS HO
Posts: 8892
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:00 pm
Location: Athens

Re: DII Southeast District

Post by Raider6309 » Mon May 13, 2019 6:20 pm

Anyone play tonight?



Ironman92
SEOPS Mr. Ohio
Posts: 19314
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 am

Re: DII Southeast District

Post by Ironman92 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:07 pm

Hillsboro and FU



Ironman92
SEOPS Mr. Ohio
Posts: 19314
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 am

Re: DII Southeast District

Post by Ironman92 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:09 pm

Hillsboro 2
Fairfield Union 2

8th inning



Post Reply

Return to “Baseball”