4/29/21 Clay at St. Joseph......not really

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

4/29/21 Clay at St. Joseph......not really

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

In SOC 1 play, Clay is scheduled to go to Ironton St. Joseph but has informed ISJ that they refuse to play in these conditions. The ISJ players are at the field in uniform and the field is playable because it has been covered. Can a team really just decide they aren't coming even when the field is playable?

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Re: 4/29/21 Clay at St. Joseph......not really

Post by Frank Reagan »

Apparently so. SOC needed to step up to the plate on this one and didn’t. Shame on them for letting such a precedent to be set. Schedules be damned. Burn up your #1 and # 2 pitchers already.....just refuse to play.

Pure case of inmates running the asylum.

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Is ISJ really a top-10 team in the state?! Or are they a solid team where the ranking is inflated?

Gator B Long
Freshman Team

Post by Gator B Long »

One of their recent losses was to a 3-11 team.🤔

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

formerfcfan wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:01 pm Is ISJ really a top-10 team in the state?! Or are they a solid team where the ranking is inflated?
Top 10 in the state? That’s probably a stretch.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

BlindWhiteHat wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:45 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:01 pm Is ISJ really a top-10 team in the state?! Or are they a solid team where the ranking is inflated?
Top 10 in the state? That’s probably a stretch.
Thanks. They’re currently ranked #7 in the statewide Coaches Association poll, including a #1 vote and two #2 votes (ridiculous.)

Glad to see ISJ in the top-10 for the poll, even if they’re probably a top-20 team. Was just curious!

Pantherfan
Freshman Team

Post by Pantherfan »

Frank Reagan wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:55 pm Apparently so. SOC needed to step up to the plate on this one and didn’t. Shame on them for letting such a precedent to be set. Schedules be damned. Burn up your #1 and # 2 pitchers already.....just refuse to play.

94% rain/thunderstorms all evening is good reason not to make the trip just to get sent home for a suspended game. It is comical that you think this was because they burned their top two pitchers. Clay clobbered your star Ace pitcher and your number #2 pitcher was beaten by Coal Grove who Clay beat 15-0.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

Pantherfan wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:31 pm
Frank Reagan wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:55 pm Apparently so. SOC needed to step up to the plate on this one and didn’t. Shame on them for letting such a precedent to be set. Schedules be damned. Burn up your #1 and # 2 pitchers already.....just refuse to play.

94% rain/thunderstorms all evening is good reason not to make the trip just to get sent home for a suspended game. It is comical that you think this was because they burned their top two pitchers. Clay clobbered your star Ace pitcher and your number #2 pitcher was beaten by Coal Grove who Clay beat 15-0.
The field was in great condition to play and it wasn't raining in Ironton at 5 pm. Do people really cancel baseball games because it MAY rain? Clay was certainly the better team in Portsmouth on Wednesday, and had the chance to prove they were the better team the next day but refused to make the trip. That's just not how things should go. If the SOC allows this to stand, they are setting a dangerous precedent for future schedules.

Pantherfan
Freshman Team

Post by Pantherfan »

BlindWhiteHat wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:04 pm
Pantherfan wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:31 pm

The field was in great condition to play and it wasn't raining in Ironton at 5 pm. Do people really cancel baseball games because it MAY rain? Clay was certainly the better team in Portsmouth on Wednesday, and had the chance to prove they were the better team the next day but refused to make the trip. That's just not how things should go. If the SOC allows this to stand, they are setting a dangerous precedent for future schedules.

I am confused why your coach/AD would have the players on the field in uniform at 4:30 when they knew the game was cancelled at 2:00p.m. And you know that it rained all day and continued rain after 5:00. You are not being honest if you say that field was dry and we would have finished that game tonight.

Pantherfan
Freshman Team

Post by Pantherfan »

I might be wrong about this so feel free to correct me but I think every game in our area was cancelled tonight. I know that the idea of getting to play Clay without their 1st and 2nd pitcher available in a tight league race makes you want to play that game but I am certain that isn't the reason that Clay cancelled. The weather was a sufficient reason and I think everybody else cancelled too, so there is no basis for complaining about it.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

I am being honest that the field was dry. It was covered in anticipation of a game being played. I wasn't in Ironton all day so I have no idea if it rained all day but it wasn't raining there at game time. I didn't stay in Ironton to know if the game would have been finished last night or not.

As to why the kids were at the field in uniform, I don't know the answer but I can guess. As I said before, the field was fine so I'd say the kids showed up and practiced even though there was no game.

I have no idea if anyone played last night. I will disagree with the statement that there is no basis to complain about it. This site basically exists because there is a basis to complain about anything and everything. :)

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Maybe Clay had some ineligible players they needed to get straightened out first.....you know.....like they did in soccer bahahahaha

Truly pathetic that a team wont go play when the field is playable and they have umpires for the game. Shame on the SOC

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

I’m still confused, Pantherfan, how does the visiting team make the call to cancel a game, over a half hour away, when they haven’t seen the field?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Frank Reagan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:03 pm I’m still confused, Pantherfan, how does the visiting team make the call to cancel a game, over a half hour away, when they haven’t seen the field?
Because they had no available pitching and the SOC won't drop the hammer on them. WEAK.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Lol...so visiting teams can now just decide not to show up based on weather forecasts? Not a good look for Clay regardless of whether or not game would’ve eventually been played.*

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

art_vandelay wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:48 am Lol...so visiting teams can now just decide not to show up based on weather forecasts? Not a good look for Clay regardless of whether or not game would’ve eventually been played.*
Someone besides me understands my point... an impartial voice of reason.

goindians42
Riding the Bench

Post by goindians42 »

I know Peebles had a game at North Adams. From every weather forecast is showed rain around 5pm. Our team still showed up and got
to play 2 innings before calling it off.

Pantherfan
Freshman Team

Post by Pantherfan »

Frank Reagan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:03 pm I’m still confused, Pantherfan, how does the visiting team make the call to cancel a game, over a half hour away, when they haven’t seen the field?
There is some misinformation coming from somewhere. We were told that the ADs were in agreement to cancel the game and would be made up at a later date. That was at 2:00 which is why I said I am confused why ISJ coach/AD had his players show up in uniform and be on the field at 4:30. Regardless, it is over now and we will see what happens when it is made up. Our #2 beat the ISJ #1 9-3. I still don't think the Clay coach was trying to dodge our #3 pitcher facing the ISJ #2. He doesn't seem like he would do that.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

The ISJ kids were told to report to the field at 3:15 in uniform for batting practice followed by a game. There is no miscommunication between the ISJ coach and AD because it’s the same person. The ISJ coach/AD was firm that the field was playable and the game was on. Clay made the decision not to travel.

Based on SJ losing to ND tonight I’d agree that Clay and their #3 would likely beat SJ and their #2. It would have been nice to see it happen when it was scheduled to happen and erase all doubt of any manipulation of the schedule.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Pantherfan wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:43 pm
There is some misinformation coming from somewhere. We were told that the ADs were in agreement to cancel the game and would be made up at a later date. That was at 2:00 which is why I said I am confused why ISJ coach/AD had his players show up in uniform and be on the field at 4:30. Regardless, it is over now and we will see what happens when it is made up. Our #2 beat the ISJ #1 9-3. I still don't think the Clay coach was trying to dodge our #3 pitcher facing the ISJ #2. He doesn't seem like he would do that.
FALSE

Return to “Baseball”