Little League vs ASA

The_Sports_Junky
Varsity

Re: Little League vs ASA

Post by The_Sports_Junky »

Then carry 13 players,you can have 3 coaches and 2 of them can be base coaches.I have seen many teams do well with 13 players.

Back to what started all of this.Why would a coach tell his players they can't play for them if they play Little League? I would not let my daughter play for them. What's next can't play basketball,High School softball,etc....What if this coaches plan fails and they don't make it to a game where the girls will be seen by a scout.They gave up everything for nothing.I think all the leagues have good and bad points.I think the parent and child needs to talk about what plan they take.

I hope you don't think I am against ASA,NSA,PONY,etc..... I'm not. I try to tell my players to play more. I tell them and the parents to find a team that they think is best for them. I tell them to go to camps and keep an open mind,not all camps are good. Some don't teach everything proper but do have some good points that will help a player.

I still don't think it should be ASA vs Little League. If you want your players to work let them play.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

your points are valid BUT LL has made it nearly impossable to do both unless you leave travel ball for approx a month during all stars . The month when all the best tournies are being played. So kids and their parents are getting caught in the middle. Either play ASA only , or play LL only. IF you try to do both , come all star time one side is mad at the other. In a perfect world no feelings would be hurt but LL has made it clear that once all star practices begin , its no to any travel ball. I wish they could coexist more peacefully --if it did my kid would have choosen to play both. FWIW--The wild thangs don't make rules regs statements etc about a girl playing LL. However they were told BEFORE accepting a spot on the team that the best summer tournies against the top competetion go on in july , right during all stars , IF there is conflict you need to know ASA/NSA ball comes 1st (after all it's alot of cash, time etc) So any parent/kid could make an appropriate decision before accepting a spot on the team. MD

COACH1
Riding the Bench

Post by COACH1 »

Sports Junky
I was the one that said let the girls play both ASA and LL I just disagree with some of the LL rules I have nothing against LL I think it is a good thing but all I was saying in my opinion and my opinion only I think a COACH should coach the bases no matter how many players you have on your team. my opinion only again I think asa coaches should be able to coach LL to without having to ask a president to send in a letter. I just don't understand what the problem is if a coach is coaching LL and asa at the sametime why should he have to send in a letter when the allstars starts. sports junky good luck with your LL team and have a great season .

go_usa
Waterboy

Post by go_usa »

It's really not fair to leave the LL team stranded at all-stars for the ASA tourneys either. Smaller schools can't afford to lose the players. I guess the only answer to this is to make the ASA girls tell the coaches they won't play all-stars before the May deadline so the team has a chance to get players from other schools that don't have enough to play either.

The_Sports_Junky
Varsity

COACH1 wrote:Sports Junky
I was the one that said let the girls play both ASA and LL I just disagree with some of the LL rules I have nothing against LL I think it is a good thing but all I was saying in my opinion and my opinion only I think a COACH should coach the bases no matter how many players you have on your team. my opinion only again I think asa coaches should be able to coach LL to without having to ask a president to send in a letter. I just don't understand what the problem is if a coach is coaching LL and asa at the sametime why should he have to send in a letter when the allstars starts. sports junky good luck with your LL team and have a great season .

The ASA coaches can coach Little League without a letter. This rule had been removed.
The rule about player base coaches, I'm not a fan of but i understand Little League's point. Little League wants more kids playing ball. That is the only reason for the rule.

I guess it would be safe to say you agree with every ASA rule. ;-)

The_Sports_Junky
Varsity

ManitouDan wrote:your points are valid BUT LL has made it nearly impossable to do both unless you leave travel ball for approx a month during all stars . The month when all the best tournies are being played. So kids and their parents are getting caught in the middle. Either play ASA only , or play LL only. IF you try to do both , come all star time one side is mad at the other. In a perfect world no feelings would be hurt but LL has made it clear that once all star practices begin , its no to any travel ball. I wish they could coexist more peacefully --if it did my kid would have choosen to play both. FWIW--The wild thangs don't make rules regs statements etc about a girl playing LL. However they were told BEFORE accepting a spot on the team that the best summer tournies against the top competetion go on in july , right during all stars , IF there is conflict you need to know ASA/NSA ball comes 1st (after all it's alot of cash, time etc) So any parent/kid could make an appropriate decision before accepting a spot on the team. MD
The Little League rule is a 13 and older can play both.A 12 year old can play up in the 13-14 (if your league permits it)and play All-Stars.I know you can't make all people happy. I just don't understand why everyone lays this on Little League( Not directed at you ). Like ASA don't know when our tournament is. Why don't ASA make their tournaments a week before or after Little League's.Their are points on every side.

sftblfrk
Freshman Team

Post by sftblfrk »

If you want your child to play and or your child wants to play then play, work it out. Check schedules, talk to coaches from the beginning. Some ASA coaches in the lower divisions have even started not going to tournies during All Star time. In the older divisions you just have to do what you can do. It is possible to play both. My daughter has done it for 3 yrs now and not scarificed a team in either LL (SR. league) or ASA but alot of that is because of parenting sacrifices. Like leaving a Sr. League game @10:30 pm and driving straight through to TN to be there for an 8 am game. Do you think the kids slept on the way? of course, (us) the parents, duh! no but if this is what needs to be done in order for her to play then it's what gets done. Either you're going to do it or you're going to gripe about it. In the end it's all about the kids. The more ball they want to play and the more ball they do play the better they will be for it. How much you gripe about LL this and ASA that isn't going to change anything. Sit down figure out what your child, your family and you want, how much you can and can't do and work it out.

go_usa
Waterboy

Post by go_usa »

My daughter found this online, thought you all might relate:

Then I Became a Softball Dad

I used to have a regular life. (Actually, many of my friends say that sentence should say, "I used to have a life", period.) It doesn't really seem that long ago. Then I became a Softball Dad.

My lawn used to be like a carpet. It was green, mowed, trimmed, fertilized, and watered. Any weeds that dared to show their leaves were pulled out by their roots. Now I have two big bare spots forty feet apart. I like the bare spots. I like them because they are the only places that the weeds and crab grass aren't threatening to take over.

My car used to draw admiring looks and comments. It was clean and waxed and shined and Armor All'd. Now it only draws attention when it wins the "dirtiest car in the parking lot" prize.

My friends and I used to spend Monday mornings talking about five-iron shots, three-putts, and titanium shafts. Now I bore them to death with detailed play-by-play descriptions of five or six low-scoring ball games. Somehow, they just don't understand the drama of a 2-0 game.

I used to think anything over $40 was an exorbitant price for a ball bat.
Now the contents of my daughter's equipment bag are worth more than everything else in the car together - including clothes, jewelry, watches, and laptop computer.

I used to have a great wife. Still do, Thank God. But that's a tribute to her patience and good humor. We used to sit and talk for hours. We still do - to keep each other awake when we're headed home in the wee hours of Monday morning. We used to wonder what the kids would do when they grew up. Now she wants to know what I'm going to do IF I ever grow up.

My summer casual wardrobe used to be made up of color-coordinated polo shirts, cool cottons in bright colors, and the occasional "aloha" shirt.
Now I have a closet full of T-shirts in gray and red. Those that don't have COMETS on the front have a cute saying on the back, like "If You Follow Me Long Enough, You'll End Up at a Ball Field." or "Friends Don't Let Friends Play Slowpitch

I used to glue myself to the sofa and watch the NCAA basketball tournament and the Masters from opening Ceremony through network sign off. Now, I catch the highlights on Sportscenter.

I used to be one of the tops in my field. Thank goodness, I still am.
(You have to keep a good paycheck coming in if you want to support a
Tournament Softball habit!)

I used to have sympathy for umpires. I used to think boys were tough. I used to think a double-header was a long day at the ballfield. Now we're just getting warmed up.

We used to spend our summer vacation relaxing on the beach or visiting family. Now we hit the road with 40 of our closest friends.

I used to think the ideal woman had brains and beauty. She still does,
but now she better also be quick, courageous, and able to bunt a good rise ball.

I used to look for little restaurants that served seafood fresh off the boat.
Now I'm a connoisseur of nachos and smoked sausages.

I used to be concerned that I would fall into the trap of living my life through my daughters. Now I know that I'm privileged to live my life
WITH my daughters.

sftblfrk
Freshman Team

Post by sftblfrk »

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!! go_usa. THe kicker comes when you're doing all the softball you can get in and then Prom hits. lol

Return to “Softball”