Little League vs ASA

bootleg
Waterboy

Re: Little League vs ASA

Post by bootleg »

MD - This whole conversation makes me curious as to what you were doing playing LL with West last year? Obviously, you're 100% committed to travel ball. It seems to me that by your daughter playing on a LL team outside of her school district, she was just taking playing time from girls who enjoy LL and love their school district, and might not play travel ball. I'm sure there were girls on the regular season LL teams at West that don't play travel. So, I guess you didn't think about the playing time you were taking from them. Even if you don't want to go back there to play, I doubt the West side would take you back after they read how you are slamming their LL organization.

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

you know this is a worn out subject, ManitouDan is right. There is no comparison between playing LL and ASA. If your LL team is going to be your high school team, well I want my DD school to play u in High School ball. :-D

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

we wanted to play there because of their reputation for having a good league. nothing more , nothing less.

As far as me slamming their league ---I can only say you must not be aware of what went on last year in that league. I don't wish to air it publically - - the people involved seem remorseful . You can pm me if you need the details. MD

volleyball_track22
Waterboy

Post by volleyball_track22 »

abuck76: if you dont think the LL team makes the High School team, just look at the Wheelersburg Girls, they went to the World Series when they were in that level and now look at the team they have produced in High School. Granted many of them play ASA but they also stuck together in LL and now are a great team.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

the sucess of the WB HS team has a whole bunch more to do with the girls being exposed to travel ball than it did because they LL together. Surely you don't want to debate that do you ? Which had more to do with the sucess of a player like JB ---her LL exposure or the stingrays ? MD And yes they are great BTW !

volleyball_track22
Waterboy

I agree that ASA gave the girls a chance to experience bigger competition but what i was trying to say is that if they wouldn't have played together in LL then they wouldn't play so well together in High School. But you are right ASA gave the girls more experience to get better.

basernner
Waterboy

Post by basernner »

MD, if travel ball is sooooo great than why are the WILD THANGS falling apart

bron99
Riding the Bench

Post by bron99 »

wild thangs falling apart???????????What are you saying exactly basernnr. it looks like they have a full summer ahead of them,great schedule,plenty of high level competition and a GREAT bunch of hard working girls who want to be there because of there drive to win at a high level.As far as LL vs. asa goes in my opinion and experiece(me and my dd are new to asa btw) Lets be honest no parent wants to look into there dd eyes and c dissapointment on any level of play but your dd has givin 100% in a game and 50% of the other players are just looking forward to a coaches treat of icecream at the local dairy bar after getting there butts handed while all the way saying its ok its ok to them after getting rule runed twice in a double header ....i believe it is time to move on and up if you have the skills to do so like so many dds and you as parents have done.

basernner
Waterboy

Post by basernner »

Im saying last year they fielded three teams this year one !!!!

bron99
Riding the Bench

Post by bron99 »

Im sorry basernnr but like i said im new to the travel ball experience and i thought that if you are able to find 11 girls who want to play travel ball and coaches who want coach them and have a good schedule to play some of the best teams in your area then program is doing pretty good and if by chance others are inspired to do the same thing for more girls in your community and that turns into another team down the road or even in your own back door that some of your players ya had the year before can stay a little closer to home or whatever but still take the knowledge and skills they have learned w/ them to a new team in the COMMUNITY then i say congrats. Not try and discard any efforts anyone who is trying to do something positive for the youth of our area.

DiamondWatcher
Waterboy

Post by DiamondWatcher »

Wow. This topic has come back to life. I hadn't been on here in a while, so I just went back thru and re-read the posts. I want to respond to the original question asked by fastpitch coach...is it right for a coach to ask a player to choose between travel ball and LL? I don't know which coach does this, but I do think it is okay for a travel ball coach to ask his players where their committment lies. If you are a dedicated ball player (which is what a travel ball coach wants), then it should be an easy decision. The decision isn't up to the coach it is up to the player and her parents.

favabeans
Varsity

Post by favabeans »

The Wild Thangs really have 2 teams this year. 12U and 14U. The 14U are just going by a different name because of uniforms that were sponsored. The 10U didn't work out because there were not enough girls who wanted to travel to out of town tournaments.

No one on here is knocking your team so please don't come on and knock another team.

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

If u want to believe a LL has developed WB players, then i want some of what ur smokin'!! ASA did...they just happen to play LL too.....LL = fun...ASA = schollyFacts are facts...If u want to play at next level, u really think LL is going to train u? Pluuueezze

volleyball_track22
Waterboy

I dont give away my secrets on what Im smokin... but LL= foundation, ASA= experience!!!. you just dont get it do you

volleyball_track22
Waterboy

Most of the Girls that play LL for Portsmouth,Valley, South Point, West, South Webster, Wheelersburg, Minford, etc. will ultimately be The High School Team for their home school. They will take the knowledge that they have acquired by playing ASA, NSA, USSSA, and LL. I strongly feel that the more the same group of girls play together, the better they will be as a team. LL offers that, but ASA can't because the talent of our area is so spread out. Scioto County has alot of talented girls.

DiamondWatcher
Waterboy

Post by DiamondWatcher »

I disagree. Softball, though it does require a "team", it is really 9 individual players that bring their best to the field. You have to work on your skills individually away from the field to be good ON the field. People think that going to a LL softball practice and playing LL softball games is going to make you a better player, I feel, is wrong. Travel ball offers so much more for these girls (that want to get better). My daughter has played more games in two weekends playing travel ball, then a whole season of LL. When these girls get to high school, they WILL work great together as a team, because they know the sport well above the ones that don't play travel ball

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

this thread has went so many directions I don't know what to say -- i guess thats a 1st !!! sleep tight ---- we have practice at 9:00am sharp in the am !!! MD

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

basernner=wild thang envy :-D MD

bootleg
Waterboy

Post by bootleg »

The Wild Thangs had 4 age groups last year: 10U,12U,!4u, and 16U. Word out there is some Wild Thang girls are playing for the Shooters from Northwest. If this is true, how can you call yourselves a different name because of uniforms sponsor, when in reality there were not enough girls for a team and the girls who still wanted to play ball joined another team that has already been established in Scioto County for years?

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

To clarify --the shooters needed a few kids , The wild thangs needed a few kids . The fine gentleman from NW already had uniforms with shooters on them. No contraversy. Why try to make it one ? MD

Return to “Softball”