Burg

The_Sports_Junky
Varsity

Burg

Post by The_Sports_Junky »

Trouble @ The Burg!!!!!!! I can't belive no ones talking about the 30+ kids who are trying out for The Burg's softball team and the parrents of some of these girls are employee's of the Wheelersburg Schools.

Fastpitch Coach
Waterboy

Re: Burg

Post by Fastpitch Coach »

I would like to see 100 Girls tryout for the Lady Pirates Softball Team, and I wouldn't care if all 100 girls parents worked for the school system! I feel that a smart coach will pick the BEST athletes for the program. CC is pitching this year,so buckel up. I have seen this girl pitch for years, what a great kid.

Jumpshot
Riding the Bench

Post by Jumpshot »

This makes no sense. Of course the parents of some of them are employed by Burg's school system. That is always the case. Do you know how many people live and work in the district, and send their kids to school where they pay taxes. Seems like a stupid and obvious post to me. So what?

buckeye221
Freshman Team

Post by buckeye221 »

You think 30+ kids trying out is trouble? That's a good thing to have that many interested. Its when a team only has 11 trying out is when they should be concerned.

I also don't see the problem if some of the girls have parents employed by the school district? That is pretty common...

Burg is def. not in trouble haha geeeeez

The_Sports_Junky
Varsity

I did not say the Burg is IN trouble, I think they will be very strong again and for years to come... The trouble I speak of is (a good problem to have)they have alot of great players who will not get to play... What happens to them? Some of the parrents want a JV program. Will they start one?

Not all school employees pay taxes to the district where they work.Ohio has open enrollment.

Alot of pressure on the coaching staff of Wheelersburg.

buckeye221
Freshman Team

Post by buckeye221 »

Ohhh okay, you just made it sound like it was a horrible problem...at least that is how I took it.

Well if they have more than 30 girls that are outstanding softball players then that is rare to find in such a small school. I often wonder how hard the process of holding try outs must be for a Division I high school. Goodluck to Burg on making that difficult decision if they have that many amazing players.

I wish more local teams would have JV teams...I only know of a small few that even do. Here is the problem that I think some schools run into...they have a good group of freshmen coming in, but there isn't always a starting position available to them right away that first year. Since most of them cannot play JV because there are no teams to play against...those young girls often get frustrated and some good quality players end up quitting because they spend the first two years sometimes not hardly playing and get tired and impatient. Coaches have to spend a lot of time encouraging them to stick with it and telling them that their time will come. If every team had a JV then these girls would get more experience that they need.

Some teams probably say they wouldn't have enough interest for a JV team but you would be surprised. A lot of girls don't try out because they already know they won't make it on varsity, but if they knew there was a JV option and that they would get some playing time there...then I think you would start to see a difference each year.

But thats just my two cents...

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Who is the pitcher CC ?? Do they have their pitcher back from last year , Baker I think was her name ? MD

upi34
Riding the Bench

Post by upi34 »

:lol: Baker is back

COACH1
Riding the Bench

Post by COACH1 »

The problem that you have is that most of your S.O.C. teams don't have 30 + girls trying out they only have 12 to 15 girls so they don't have a enough girls to make a JV. team. If you have that many girls trying out that means that you have a built a pretty good program. Like you said it will be hard to keep the ones that is not playing happy. But when you build a program they need to understand that it will take a special player to start as a freshman that they will have to wait thier turn and just be happy to be apart of a good program.

Orkan
Waterboy

Post by Orkan »

Does a JV schedule have to be limited to SOC teams? I think not. Being on the border with KY brings most SOC teams within a 30 minute drive of several KY schools, all of which have JV teams since they play jr. high kids in high school. Lots of scheduling oppportunities.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

burg JV could play most of the KY varsity schools pretty even. Play an occassional DH with a larger ohio school and that would make the JV team worth the effort to put together. Hate to see that many kids who want to play not get the chance. MD

buckeye221
Freshman Team

Post by buckeye221 »

People are saying that other schools (in this case the SOC, but this applies to other conferences too) do not have enough girls trying out for a JV team because they only have 12 to 15 girls. I agree that isn't enough for a JV team BUT...lets think about it, how would each school build up their JV team for years to come? Here is what I think would have to happen.

#1 the school needs to be committed to the JV program and stick with it, because it will pay off in the end.

#2 the school needs to make it known through out the school and the community that they are seriously starting a JV team and will continue to field a JV team for years to come. If you do this I honestly think you would be surprised at who ends up trying out and maybe the first year you do it, there will not be that many more extra girls that come out. BUT once they see that there really is going to be a JV team you will keep seeing better results each year. That's really how you build up any program...you stick with it.

#3 this gives some freshmen who are not right off the bat starters some extra experience if they get to play some JV games before they have a starting position the next season. And it also gives these girls that are not cut out to be varsity starters a chance to play too.

Maybe its not a magical solution to get more JV teams, but I think if more schools took that approach you would be very surprised at what kind of results you have. And someone else mentioned playing KY schools.....that would be perfect. Also WV has many JV teams too to play against.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

^^^^ excellent post ^^^ MD

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

The_Sports_Junky wrote:Trouble @ The Burg!!!!!!! I can't belive no ones talking about the 30+ kids who are trying out for The Burg's softball team and the parrents of some of these girls are employee's of the Wheelersburg Schools.

If this is trouble I am sure alot of schools would LOVE to have this kind fo trouble. Best thing is the ones who do not make it will come out next year for the Burg...one reason why the Burg is one of top schools around here in softball.

The_Sports_Junky
Varsity

Tartanblue,

The burg cut an entire team. They carried 18.Now I'm not going to say all of them are good enough to to have made the team but they have a large team with girls who will ride the pine all season.They also cut some are good enough to make the team but there is not enough room.
My point is Burg say they have the best school and they did not do the right thing.The right thing to do is start a jv team and give these girls a chance to prove themselfs.It would also give some of the younger players who made the team a chance to play and improve. Why would they not start a jv team. I just don't think the burg wants to fund another girls program.

Everybody can say it's a good problem when it's not there kid getting cut.

It's over and the season will start. Good luck to Burg.

SEOfuturecoach
Waterboy

Post by SEOfuturecoach »

See if you can get a couple of JV games set up with schools. Not as "Offical" jv games, but like see if they can play 3 innings after a varsity game. That is what Webster is doing this year with some schools, I think Valley and Minford. It will give the girls who ride the pine some playing time so they dont get discouraged.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

I am not sure of all the particulars involved with Burg having to make cuts with its softball team this year. I do know that most of the schools in the SOC do not have enough players to even play a JV schedule. In fact, most do good to field a varsity team, with a few exceptions.

I'd personally like to see a JV team just so the girls who did not make varsity would have a chance to play. With that being said, who would be the coach, who specifically would they play? It will take some work and planning on someones part but having a team can be done.

Return to “Softball”