? for HS or other knowledgeable coaches

softball24_7
Freshman Team

? for HS or other knowledgeable coaches

Post by softball24_7 »

I understand the concept that every girl needs the opportunity or the more the merrier type of thinking... But why do some schools not cut girls, I'm talking from Jr high to V. I just don't get it. Lets say your school has a pretty large softball community, 20 (10 who have never played, 5 that are decent, a cpl good and a couple standouts) kids sign up at Jr high, and 30 (10 really good, and 10 decent, and 10 that's never played) kids at the HS level.
For those teams that don't cut.. Do you feel your holding the team back? How can you truly practice a team to its fullest potential if half of the girls need to be taught to throw correctly and to catch a ball? Do you have your more talented players dial it down? I am just curious and probably opening up a can of worms, but I just don't get it.. Or am I just looking at it from the wrong perspective.. I know some don't consider wins and losses to be successful, but I just can't see being able to fully push the girls if the girl they're getting ready to throw the ball to cannot catch. Does she still throw at her max, or does she just toss it? Just looking for opinions, no need to bash schools or other coaches. Thx

Browns30
JV Team

Re: ? for HS or other knowledgeable coaches

Post by Browns30 »

Some aren't going to like my opinion but never tell a talented player to dial it down. What is this girl who may not be able to catch going do in a game when the 3 or 4 hole power hitter is up and hits a line drive right at her? If it were my daughter who couldn't even defend herself when a ball is hit or thrown, I would tell her to find a more suitable hobby. These are also the parents who complain that their kids aren't playing 1st base or pitching etc... Well maybe the reason is for their own safety. What are the kids learning by not cutting anyways? That you don't have to work for anything and everyone gets a trophy?? Doesn't seem fair to the ones who put hours upon hours of hard work each week into it.

Gopher
Varsity

Re: ? for HS or other knowledgeable coaches

Post by Gopher »

Browns30 wrote:Some aren't going to like my opinion but never tell a talented player to dial it down. What is this girl who may not be able to catch going do in a game when the 3 or 4 hole power hitter is up and hits a line drive right at her? If it were my daughter who couldn't even defend herself when a ball is hit or thrown, I would tell her to find a more suitable hobby. These are also the parents who complain that their kids aren't playing 1st base or pitching etc... Well maybe the reason is for their own safety. What are the kids learning by not cutting anyways? That you don't have to work for anything and everyone gets a trophy?? Doesn't seem fair to the ones who put hours upon hours of hard work each week into it.
Where's the "Like" button?

Return to “Softball”