Make the call

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Make the call

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

our number one pitcher is 6-0
Your number 2 pitcher is 0-0 and has struggled all season long
your number 3 pitcher is 0-1 and had struggled each time out

On your bench is the teams #2 pitcher from last season, who did not lose a game but she has not pitched all season.

You like using multiple pitchers even though your #1 is dominating.

Do you continue to throw the number 2 and 3 pitchers or do you as a first year coach do you give the #2 pitcher from last years team a chance to show you, the new first year coach what she can do.

(This situation is going on with a team I am watching this season)

osumufan
SE

Re: Make the call

Post by osumufan »

Coach may be trying to build his team for next year by using those other pitchers if none of them are seniors. Is the #2 from last year a senior this year? That is the practice ethic of the #2, does she even want to pitch. Is she a great hitter and coach wants her to concentrate on hitting? There are too many variables to answer. You never know the thought process.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

This is a JV team and all of the players are Soph or Freshmen, with the exception of this years number two pitcher. She is a SR playing JV ball.

Swampfox13
Riding the Bench

Post by Swampfox13 »

Why is a senior on JV. Do you have that many great pitchers on varsity. What grads are the varsity starters. Since JV is about development of future varsity, I would go with the two non-senior pitchers.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Swampfox13 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:11 pm Why is a senior on JV. Do you have that many great pitchers on varsity. What grads are the varsity starters. Since JV is about development of future varsity, I would go with the two non-senior pitchers.
Exactly.... Schools do not hang banners for JV teams. Sr. should not be playing JV... she should be on Varsity whether she plays or not.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

baseball16 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:54 am
Swampfox13 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:11 pm Why is a senior on JV. Do you have that many great pitchers on varsity. What grads are the varsity starters. Since JV is about development of future varsity, I would go with the two non-senior pitchers.
Exactly.... Schools do not hang banners for JV teams. Sr. should not be playing JV... she should be on Varsity whether she plays or not.

The only reason a senior should play is if JV team doesn't have enough players, then only if all underclass ladies are getting playing time on varsity. but no way she shouldn't be pitching

Return to “Softball”