Nelsonville-York may add junior high softball and baseball

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

http://www.athensmessenger.com/articles/2008/12/13/news/doc4943bbb4628ee673519035.txt

District batting around idea of middle-school softball, baseball
By ANGELA JEWELL
Messenger staff writer
Published: Saturday, December 13, 2008 9:01 AM EST

NELSONVILLE — Nelsonville-York City School Board is considering implementing a softball and baseball program for its seventh and eighth grades.

The idea was proposed by board member Tim Maiden during Tuesday’s board meeting.

According to Nelsonville-York Athletic Director Dave Boston, Nelsonville has never had an organized junior high program for baseball or softball and he feels implementation of a program would go a long way in helping the high school become more competitive in these two sports.

“Any time you can develop a feeder program at the younger levels, it’s going to help the varsity programs,” Boston said.

Boston added that not every local school has a formal junior high softball and baseball program that is funded by its athletic department. However, most offer recreational leagues for that age group.

In addition to costs associated with hiring coaches for a junior high baseball and softball team, Boston indicated there would be uniform fees, umpire fees and possibly field fees, as well. Boston will be compiling some cost figures for the board to consider.

Supt. Mick McClelland stated the board will be looking into the matter further.

“I have the athletic director looking into how many schools in the area actually have an organized program and how many kids would be willing to participate in the program, McClelland said. “If we have enough interest and we can swing it, it will be brought before the board and voted on.”

For now, no formal decisions have been made.

“Would I like to have it? Certainly,” Boston said. “I’d like to see all of our junior-high programs taken care of.”

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I think that of all the sports - boys and girls - offered at NY, the varsity softball team has had the least amount of success over the course of time. A junior high feeder program could be the exact thing the varsity team needs in order to turn things around. I hope this happens!

The softball team also will have a state of the art field to play on after renovations are complete. Great things are coming to the NY softball program!

kcarth305
JV Team

Re: Nelsonville-York may add junior high softball and baseball

Post by kcarth305 »

It's great to hear that Nelsonville York is taking action to get middle school softball and baseball teams at their school. Being able to have middle school baseball and softball teams means that the athletes have an organized way to develop their skills. It also prepares them for high school. Great news!

wrestler87
Freshman Team

Post by wrestler87 »

Logan softball doesn't have a JH program, but 95% of the other schools in D-1 and 2 do. Maybe this part of the state will learn how to catch up when N-Y starts beating the crap out of Logan on a regular basis (or at least showing the ability to, 'cause they won't continue scheduling them!). Good luck.
Several of the smallest division schools up north already have teams, and they routinely make the big stage. Muscle memory and repetition (especially for pitching and batting) must be started early. I've seen many powerful girls in our area who couldn't consistently throw a strike. Go for it!

kcarth305
JV Team

Post by kcarth305 »

I agree, softball should be a mainstay in junior high schools across Ohio. Hopefully we'll see it improve.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

most of the SOC schools have them. The effects of them being started should be able to be seen here in a year or two for some schools.

Return to “Softball”