Jr. High Softball report

ManitouDan2
SE

Re: Jr. High Softball report

Post by ManitouDan2 »

And most importantly have your DD's email the school they are interested in and ATTEND THEIR CAMPS ! That is the most important thing you can do by far .

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

Thanks Dan. My daughter is an 8th grader currently and we are starting to look at camps this winter and are going to go to a few over the next couple of months.

Last question. Besides a pitcher and catcher do programs recruit for specific positions or do they recruit the most talented athlete and teach them a position?

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

We recruit by position , Not that specific but yes we try to keep a certain number of OF's VS IF's . Another tip is attempt to have your daughter be as flexible on D as possible , yes that may mean playing the OF , we love dedicated OFer's ! . The least helpful thing to a player is to be locked into 1 position.

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

ManitouDan2 wrote:There is nothing wrong with stating a 8th grader PROJECTS as a D1 player. At that age they are 2nd year 14U and the major D1's are all over the top players in the nation and the mid majors are playing close attention as well. Heck my own DD played in front of UCLA , KY , Oklahoma , Washington and many others at 14U nationals in a single game that started after midnight . ( mainly to watch the Corona Angels ) . Kid off her team got an invite to Washington's camp that fall. So there is no need to act surprised or miffed that a D1 school has interest in a 8th grader. It isn't the norm , but it sure isn't unusual. I know for sure a local 8th grader was invited to a Big Ten camp this winter . That doesn't mean the player will get an offer , just that there is some interest there .
I agree that there are a few kids in se Ohio that could without a doubt be D1 recruits In the future but as for big ten school showing interest in an 8th grader? really? How or where are they even seeing them?

Severino
Waterboy

Post by Severino »

To watch a "competitive" girls softball showcase or tournament has to be seen to appreciate the dedication and talent of these kids (and parents). I watch a young lady play all year who started out just playing the game and is now being recruited by D1 schools as an 8th grader. Last spring the talent become obvious, this fall she blossomed. If you are a local softball fan you know who she is and where she plays. I look forward to spring, in my younger days it was about baseball, now its about watching her from April-October. I will see you at the park, I am the old gray hair wearing the proud papa shirt.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Yeah what Severino said is true . You play on the right team in the right organization in the right tournies you get noticed . Lasers , Outlaws , and certain other teams from other organizations . WV Outlaws have 2 14u kids on their staff throwing it harder than any HS pitcher in Scioto Co right now . ( remember harder doesn't mean better ) a few of the tournies in Ohio that draw D1 interest is Stingrays summer and fall event . Outlaws fall brawl . Best of the Best in the fall. Some Berliner events draw well depending on what teams show up . Laser nation ( but not all teams will be seen) ASA state tourney and at 14u Fire in the Sky host over 100 14u teams and the championship game routinely draws 1-2 K , maybe 3 . That's a few major ones .

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

Trusty pirate wrote:
SOSoftball wrote:
The Blevins girl from Minford can play with any catcher in the area.
Does Minford have anything this year I am pretty sure they lost a bunch
I think Minford will be down this year. I seen both of their teams play last year and the younger team was well below I think where most team will be this year. The Blevins girl did not play last year and I have heard she is playing this year so that should help the team some.

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

There's a lot of talk about SOC teams, what about the OVC jr high teams? Coal Grove and Peake will have strong pitching. Who will be the top teams and who will the impact players be?

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

I am not as familiar with the OVC teams or players. Coal Grove has all their players or the majority that play ball all year long on travel teams. The 7th grade pitcher that plays for the Outlaws will be their pitcher probably. I can name 7 of the girls off the top of my head that play year round.

As stated above I think the Davidson girl from Chesapeake is probably the best pitcher in the area. Not sure what else they have on that team.

There are a few girls on Rock Hill's team that I know that play year round also and all three are pretty good players. All three hit the ball hard.

Ironton will be down as mentioned above.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

What organization do the 7 girls that play year round play with ?

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

ManitouDan2 wrote:What organization do the 7 girls that play year round play with ?
Most of them local teams but the ones I know are the Outlaws (WV), Crush, KC Diamond Gems, WV Dusters. Maybe one other but not sure.

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

captainmorgan_ wrote:There's a lot of talk about SOC teams, what about the OVC jr high teams? Coal Grove and Peake will have strong pitching. Who will be the top teams and who will the impact players be?
Rock Hill should project to be strong again this year. But I always felt this group was a little over hyped compared to the rest of Rock Hills upcoming talent.

Coal Grove in Little League 11/12 Level was a shell of what they were and could be if everyone is back this year.

Chesapeake last year was by far the best 1-2 combo pitching wise but lacked hitting . I know the ace returns this year and if the lefty is back as well they will have plenty of pitching to carry them.

Can't think of any other team standing out.

Softballdad
Riding the Bench

Post by Softballdad »

How hard do the top pitchers throw? & do any of these jr high girls hit it out of the park often? I heard some talk last year of girls hitting homer runs often. Will any these girls this year?

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

The Burg kid homered 3 times on 200 ft fences in 2 games this fall. Not the normal but hitting has gotten so much better the past 5 years or so. As far as top pitchers go I don't know the ones in this age group. Normally the game speed would be 52-56 with a couple exceptions out there I'm sure . Any girl that hits 60 consistently during the game is very rare . There are a bunch of people who claim 60 mph throwers but I'm talking game speed not " how hard can you throw it for your pitching coach" .

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

Softballdad wrote:I heard some talk last year of girls hitting homer runs often. Will any these girls this year?
nope doubt it :roll:

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

I haven't seen anyone in this age group hit 60 or near it. A couple of the girls may hit mid 50s but the majority of the kids throwing are in mid to high 40s with a few more maybe hitting low 50s.

As far as homeruns several of the girls mentioned in this thread already have hit homers. Some of them multiple times.

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

I know of two girls from Coal Grove who have hit homeruns and they are both 7th graders. The Lutz girl from Clay hit one over this fall and she is also a 7th grader. Davidson from Chesapeake, Smith from Rock Hill and I believe the Howard girl from Rockhill all have hit multiple homers.

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

:evil: Pitching is always interesting. Like Dan said what they throw in front of the Pitching Coach doesn't transfer to game speeday always. The Chesapeake pitcher who pitched for the Firestix also is the hardest thrower around here I believe.
Pitching is also funny because most coaches brag they have a 5 pitch pitcher. When they get on the mound their dropball, rise ball, fastball, change up all look the same and preform the same.

As for home runs there isn't many girls capable of it. But it does happen more often now. I watched an Oak Hill hitter take a outside changeup over the opposite field fence on Notre Dames field last year. Best home run I've ever seen.

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

I have seen the Firestix pitcher also and would agree. She is the fastest I have seen. Not sure if they have anyone else behind her. When they came to Portsmouth to play in a tournament I believe she pitched every inning of every game and didn't allow a run and only a couple hits during the whole tournament. Do you know where she is from. I believe the team is based out of St. Albans.

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

Never mind I see where you said she is from Chesapeake

Return to “Softball”