Homeruns

Softball Junkie
Waterboy

Re: Homeruns

Post by Softball Junkie »

The Wellston Lady Rockets raised their homerun total to 26 while also winning a Sectional Championship!!! With the total up to 26 that puts the Lady Rockets tied at 4th all time in the state of Ohio for homeruns in a single season! Congrats Lady Rockets!

Taelor Folden 11- Grandslam
Shanea Long 8- Grandslam
Megan Dailey 2- Grandslam
Brittni Hall 2
Chelsea McManaway 2
Sydney Compston 1

trojanofthepast
Freshman Team

Post by trojanofthepast »

Taking nothing away from a fine team in Wellston, but I would be interested to know how many were hit at home. That is the shortest high school field I've ever seen. Down the lines was only 196 and dead center was only 197. I talked to a few of the fans and they said a lot of the homers have been at home this year. Does anyone know the home and away numbers.

Softball Junkie
Waterboy

Post by Softball Junkie »

Of the 26 homeruns hit by the Lady Rockets, I do believe 11 have been hit on the home field with the remaining 15 being knocked out on the road! (@Beaver 1, @Paint Stadium 2, @Nelsonville 1, @Vinton County 3, @Jackson 4, @Meigs 1, @Symmes Valley 3) I believe there have only been 2 homers hit by opposing teams at Wellston, 1 being from Athens and the other from Nelsonville. I guess my question would be If its so easy to "hit one" out of Wellstons "small" field why havent more teams done so? I guess when a ball is hit 250 feet it doesnt really matter what girls varsity field they hit them on!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Wellston's field probably plays bigger than Jackson's as there is typically a jet stream blowing to RCF

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

196 and 197 are perfectly legit for highschool , most colleges are at 195-205 , that should be fine for HS . dont get your point trojan

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Jen arnzen with a huge 1st inning grand slam tonight.

DIDO
Freshman Team

Post by DIDO »

Maybe the smaller d-3 schools, Ohio state is 220 at center and Wisconsin is 225. I think West is 235 at center. legit question I beleive troganofthepast.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Kentucky is 190 down the lines , Alabama is 200, UCLA 190 down the lines , Georgia 190 Marshall 190

trojanofthepast
Freshman Team

First As I said in my post, Wellston is a fine team that beat the Trojans soundly. It was just a questions about how many homers were hit at home compared to away. I appreciated the answer softballjunkie, as for manitoudan there was no negative point or arguement to be made. Wellston hit 3 homers when they played the Trojans and everyone would have been out of any park. It just seem to me the yardage on their field was small, as Jackson's is too. Manitoudan, what is the length of ND field, just curious. Here is why I ask the question, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softball. The average girls softball field is 220 all the way around. So manitoudan that was my only point, it mint nothing negative toward a good Wellston softball team.

BigTime
JV Team

Post by BigTime »

I agree with trojan that wellston has a good team and hit the ball well against the lady trojans. The field did seem a little small like jackson. Anything under 200 is considered below average for high school and colleges in my opinion. I talked with the father of the young lady that hit 2 against us. Very nice gentlemen, his daughters homers would have been out of any high school or college field that ive seen. Don't know why people were attacking your question trojan. It seem like a legit questions to me when a team is ranked that high all time in the state for a team in a season. Don't think manitoudan thought so though.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

ND is 195 LF , 196 CF and 194 RF . give or take a foot .. if 196 is "the shortest high school field you ever seen " then I guess your opinion of homers hit at UCLA , KY , Marshall and Georgia isnt very high . Dont know where you got your stat but the 'average" depth of college fields is not 220 feet all the way around. That would mean there is as many at 240 as there is 200 and i know thats not a correct stat. IMO this thread is to celebrate a big event for a few HS kids lucky enough to homer , not to question how short the fences are. MD

footballfanatic1
All Conference

Post by footballfanatic1 »

I was at the game at Jackson when Wellston played and most of the home runs Wellston hit were descent shots. Also Jackson had a home run hit by the short stop Wills.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

just for fun here are some answers from a current college coach , a former college player and a Dad to current D-1 player at Valpo concerning Wiki's statement :
Unless one school has a fence at 5,000 and that is messing up the averages, then there is no way that 220 is the average
Most fences we have seen this season is 185 to 200 in the corners. Valpo has the longest yard at 210 corner and 225 center in the conference.
Most fields we played at were 190 at the corners and 200-210 in center. I only remember a couple that were much longer than that. 220 for the average.....I don't think so.

trojanofthepast
Freshman Team

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ManitouDan wrote:ND is 195 LF , 196 CF and 194 RF . give or take a foot .. if 196 is "the shortest high school field you ever seen " then I guess your opinion of homers hit at UCLA , KY , Marshall and Georgia isnt very high . Dont know where you got your stat but the 'average" depth of college fields is not 220 feet all the way around. That would mean there is as many at 240 as there is 200 and i know thats not a correct stat. IMO this thread is to celebrate a big event for a few HS kids lucky enough to homer , not to question how short the fences are. MD

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

ManitouDan wrote:just for fun here are some answers from a current college coach , a former college player and a Dad to current D-1 player at Valpo concerning Wiki's statement :
Unless one school has a fence at 5,000 and that is messing up the averages, then there is no way that 220 is the average
Most fences we have seen this season is 185 to 200 in the corners. Valpo has the longest yard at 210 corner and 225 center in the conference.
Most fields we played at were 190 at the corners and 200-210 in center. I only remember a couple that were much longer than that. 220 for the average.....I don't think so.
It would take quite a shot on that 5,000 fence.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

VCROCKS wrote:I was at the game at Jackson when Wellston played and most of the home runs Wellston hit were descent shots. Also Jackson had a home run hit by the short stop Wills.
A solid 25-30 mph wind blowing out to C-RCF....seemed like every ball in the air that game went sailing out. Coulda swore Wellston had more than 4 that game.

footballfanatic1
All Conference

Post by footballfanatic1 »

Correct 92 i was supprised to hear that the ironladies only had 4 hr all year.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

M Pauley and B Pierron each with a homer last night in the regional semi's . I'd guess ND is close to 20 on the year .

Marting 8
Stevenson 2
Pierron 2 or 3 ?
Harr 1
Pauley 2 or 3 ?
Arnzen 2
Phillips 2

Return to “Softball”