2018 SVC

Doc66
Waterboy

Re: SVC

Post by Doc66 »

It looks like Huntington is the team to beat in the SVC in the next few years!

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Doc66 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:07 am It looks like Huntington is the team to beat in the SVC in the next few years!
Westfall is the team to beat until someone proves otherwise. Starting 5 Freshman/Sophomores on a gold ball team.

Xtoxxviii
All State

SVC 2019

Post by Xtoxxviii »

Westfall is the team to beat.
Was crazy young this year,
a fact most overlook.
Add to that they mercy ruled a lot of the SVC field this year (9 out of 14 svc games).
The redman wearing the skippers cap gives them a huge advantage as well.

Huntington does bring back the best pitcher in the SVC.
HHS will need to sure up the defense and get more consistent at the plate if they are going to make a run at the Mustangs.

I don’t see much change in the rest of the league unless a stud pitcher shows up on the scene.

Adena will probably be the most improved squad next year with a solid group of younger players coming into their own at the varsity level. I can see them in a four way battle for the 3rd/6th place spots in the SVC.

se-alum
All Conference

Re: SVC 2019

Post by se-alum »

Xtoxxviii wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:40 pm Westfall is the team to beat.
Was crazy young this year,
a fact most overlook.
Add to that they mercy ruled a lot of the SVC field this year (9 out of 14 svc games).
The redman wearing the skippers cap gives them a huge advantage as well.

Huntington does bring back the best pitcher in the SVC.
HHS will need to sure up the defense and get more consistent at the plate if they are going to make a run at the Mustangs.

I don’t see much change in the rest of the league unless a stud pitcher shows up on the scene.

Adena will probably be the most improved squad next year with a solid group of younger players coming into their own at the varsity level. I can see them in a four way battle for the 3rd/6th place spots in the SVC.
For Adena, it really depends on how many of their 8th graders come out. Probably 8 or 9 talented girls that could push for varsity time next year if they decide to play and put in the work. Their 6th,7th, and 8th grade classes are loaded with softball talent. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out over the years.

Look for SE to be a good young team next year also. They had some nice Freshman this year, and a really good group of 8th graders coming up. Richendollar will be a young pitcher to keep an eye on next year for SE. Carissa Wheeler will make an immediate impact.

ZT should be much improved as well. Good young players, with a good group coming up from the Jr. High level.

I'm telling ya, SVC softball is going to be ultra-competitive very soon.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

SVC tourney results

5 wins
(Only Three wins outside of conference)
PV over Western
ZT over Lynchburg Clay
Westfall over Portsmouth West

8 loses

2 sectional champions
Huntington
Westfall

Runs scored 33
Runs given up 79

3 teams eliminated by mercy rule
PV, SE & UHS

Sectional 1st round
Pv 14
Western 6

Ironton 18
SE 0

ZT 3
Lynchburg Clay 2

Piketon 3
Adena 0

Gallia Academy 10
Unioto O

Sectional finals:

Portsmouth Clay 11
PV 1

Huntington 3
ZT 2

Fairfield 6
Piketon 0

Westfall 4
Portsmouth West 2

District Semi
Coal Grove 6
Huntington 1

Chesapeake 10
Westfall 2

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Officially the offseason now for SVC softball as Peake had its way with Westfall tonight.

The conference took two steps back this season. Hopefully it can regain its recent form next season.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

SVC softball will be fine. Probably the best it's ever been within the next couple years.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

se-alum wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:18 am SVC softball will be fine. Probably the best it's ever been within the next couple years.

I think that's a major stretch. Five years ago, the SVC qualified two teams to the state tournament and you had a couple of other teams have a nice season. Over the last six-to-seven years, the SVC was a good top half conference with multiple teams winning or playing for district championships. And you had some pretty good players come through the conference like Morgan Geno and Mikayla Newland going D1.

This year, the SVC didn't have one team play for a district title and only qualified two for districts and those games were not close.

Is there potential going forward? Yes. Westfall will return most of its offense, but they have to be more consistent in the circle. Huntington has the best pitcher in the conference. It'll be interesting to see the progress she makes, but they need to develop more of an offense to support her.

Unioto has some solid pieces, but the recent instability with the program has took its toll and hopefully they can get that fixed and return to what Unioto has been, because for the SVC to be strong you need a good Unioto.

The other five teams have a few pieces, but there is a lot of work to do. All I can encourage the kids coming up is to go play competitive travel ball and get in tournaments in the Columbus area. Players are made in the offseason.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

I've been involved in area youth softball for the last 9 years. There is a ton of talent that is just starting to enter the high school ranks. We've consistently had over 400 girls playing SVYL softball since the league started. That's between 6 schools(SE, Adena, Unioto, Huntington, ZT & Chillicothe). Being school based, it has really started developing programs for the schools involved, which was our main objective. Youth softball is booming in Ross Co., and it will only have a positive impact on these HS programs. When I started coaching 9 years ago, the level of play in youth softball was well below where it is now. Trust me, the talent the SVC will soon have, is nothing like what I've seen in the league in my 30 years of memory.

For example, over the last 5 years, Adena has had no less than 100 girls per year in their 8U through Jr. High program, and that doesn't count the girls playing strictly travel ball. We had 25+ girls in the Jr. High program alone this year.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

I hope you're right. We'll see in the next couple of seasons how that starts to affect the high school programs.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

bman wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:26 pm Unioto has some solid pieces, but the recent instability with the program has took its toll and hopefully they can get that fixed and return to what Unioto has been, because for the SVC to be strong you need a good Unioto.
Look for Unioto to have a different coach in 2019.
That will be 3 coaches in three seasons for the Tanks.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Xtoxxviii wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:13 am
bman wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:26 pm Unioto has some solid pieces, but the recent instability with the program has took its toll and hopefully they can get that fixed and return to what Unioto has been, because for the SVC to be strong you need a good Unioto.
Look for Unioto to have a different coach in 2019.
That will be 3 coaches in three seasons for the Tanks.
Good luck to Unioto in its search. A strong Unioto helps to make a strong SVC, and we need that right now.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

From what I hear
A few teachers are showing interest this time around.
I haven’t been able to find it posted anywhere on line
So it doesn’t look like they are broadcasting a very wide
Net again this year.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

Rob Hull will be the new Coach at Unioto next season.

Rob was assistant this past season and
Coached Unioto jr. High prior to that.

Return to “Softball”