Fastest Throwing Pitchers

Ed Ott
Varsity

Fastest Throwing Pitchers

Post by Ed Ott »

What pitchers in the district throw the fastest? Anyone hit low 60’s?

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Re: Fastest Throwing Pitchers

Post by ColdHardTruth »

SOC 1 i think Notre Dames Schaeffer is the hardest thrower. Id say she's high 50s low 60s.

Jatt94
Waterboy

Post by Jatt94 »

Freshman Taylor Evans Jackson can push 60 game speeds upper 50’s

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

There prob are only a few that can hit 60 while warming up or just throwing a straight fastball but consistent game speed when they are attempting to throw a curve or drop or whatever usually lowers that top speed 1-3 MPH . And game speed , movement , and by far most importantly location means more than simply just throwing it hard . But its fun to discuss . Throwing with velocity is important but not if you cant locate it . I think Waverly has a hard thrower , Coal Grove ( maybe ) has girl named Casey I think . She throws hard . Claxon at Burg will be upper 50's approaching 60 . Truth is if your game speed is 60 you are going to really successful around here . Haven't got to see Schaefer throw for a few years , look forward to seeing her . SSU had 2 dozen or so pitchers at camp in Feb , only 1 was above 60 .

If you want to see some heat go see Minford's K Conkey at Rio Grande . She hit 66 on 3 straight pitches against Shawnee last year , already No hit a top ranked team ,this spring . she's a beast .

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:07 pm There prob are only a few that can hit 60 while warming up or just throwing a straight fastball but consistent game speed when they are attempting to throw a curve or drop or whatever usually lowers that top speed 1-3 MPH . And game speed , movement , and by far most importantly location means more than simply just throwing it hard . But its fun to discuss . Throwing with velocity is important but not if you cant locate it . I think Waverly has a hard thrower , Coal Grove ( maybe ) has girl named Casey I think . She throws hard . Claxon at Burg will be upper 50's approaching 60 . Truth is if your game speed is 60 you are going to really successful around here . Haven't got to see Schaefer throw for a few years , look forward to seeing her . SSU had 2 dozen or so pitchers at camp in Feb , only 1 was above 60 .

If you want to see some heat go see Minford's K Conkey at Rio Grande . She hit 66 on 3 straight pitches against Shawnee last year , already No hit a top ranked team ,this spring . she's a beast .
She was pretty scary to face in high school. Beast indeed...also throwing overhand and swinging at the plate. Fierce. Facing her 2x a year and Chelsea McManaway 2x definitely helped our Jackson girls roll through tough pitching in 2013 in our elite 8 run. They were both better than the 1st team all-State pitcher we faced in the districts and the two best pitchers we faced all season outside of the state champ girl that we nearly beat....but Kelsey and Chelsea made her not seem intimidating.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

McManaway has had a great career at Morehead st .

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:07 pm There prob are only a few that can hit 60 while warming up or just throwing a straight fastball but consistent game speed when they are attempting to throw a curve or drop or whatever usually lowers that top speed 1-3 MPH . And game speed , movement , and by far most importantly location means more than simply just throwing it hard . But its fun to discuss . Throwing with velocity is important but not if you cant locate it . I think Waverly has a hard thrower , Coal Grove ( maybe ) has girl named Casey I think . She throws hard . Claxon at Burg will be upper 50's approaching 60 . Truth is if your game speed is 60 you are going to really successful around here . Haven't got to see Schaefer throw for a few years , look forward to seeing her . SSU had 2 dozen or so pitchers at camp in Feb , only 1 was above 60 .

Coal Grove’s Kasey Murphy throws 60-65 consistently. I think her team’s offensive production will be their biggest obstacle.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:46 pm

Coal Grove’s Kasey Murphy throws 60-65 consistently. I think her team’s offensive production will be their biggest obstacle.
65?

Her situation sounds like Sosby for Whiteoak years back but she led them to the regionals.

asportsfan
Waterboy

Post by asportsfan »

Murphy is s good pitcher, but 65? I didn’t see that when she threw in scrimmage this year. I haven’t seen anyone in area throw over 60 consistently. High 50s to 61, but 65 is a reach. Evans is able to hit high 50s as well as Adkins from Oak Hill, both Freshman. I haven’t seen Claxon from Burg throw for a while, but I imagine she is in that group as well.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Murphy was at 60 inside at Shawnee's winter camp . not during games . I watched her pitch a few weeks after that camp at a night game at Portsmouth in cold conditions and have doubts she was hitting 55 . Saw her throw at a fall game at Championship FP in the fall. 58 maybe . Nice pitcher , should be really good in the OVC but 65 is a serious stretch .

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Word on the street is Portsmouth Clay has a Jr. High girl that was gunned in the low 60's in a game. I call the gun being significantly off, but does anyone know anything about her?

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

se-alum wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:15 am Word on the street is Portsmouth Clay has a Jr. High girl that was gunned in the low 60's in a game. I call the gun being significantly off, but does anyone know anything about her?
She is usually throwing in the mid to high 50s.
Last edited by SOSoftball on Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

Does speed even matter that much? My daughter played against a lot of high level pitchers the past year. A bunch of them already committed to D1 schools. The best pitcher she has faced threw mid 50's... spin was nasty and changed speeds each pitch.

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

asportsfan wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:51 am Murphy is s good pitcher, but 65? I didn’t see that when she threw in scrimmage this year. I haven’t seen anyone in area throw over 60 consistently. High 50s to 61, but 65 is a reach. Evans is able to hit high 50s as well as Adkins from Oak Hill, both Freshman. I haven’t seen Claxon from Burg throw for a while, but I imagine she is in that group as well.

the past 3 years in jr high...i haven't seen anyone throw harder than evans or adkins.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

SOSoftball wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:24 am
se-alum wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:15 am Word on the street is Portsmouth Clay has a Jr. High girl that was gunned in the low 60's in a game. I call the gun being significantly off, but does anyone know anything about her?
Name?

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Browns30 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:26 am Does speed even matter that much? My daughter played against a lot of high level pitchers the past year. A bunch of them already committed to D1 schools. The best pitcher she has faced threw mid 50's... spin was nasty and changed speeds each pitch.
Not that much, good teams will time up speed. Location, spin, and changing speeds is much more important.

OVCfanatic
Riding the Bench

Post by OVCfanatic »

No way Murphy throws 65. She's good, but no way does she throw that fast.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

To add a little more context to this discussion. This past summer at numerous high level tournies , like StingRays for example I gunned tons of throwers . nearly ZERO throw above 60 during game speed . Brianna Pratt ( Miami of Ohio ) Wizards Elite was 62-63 with great movement. Bowers girl from Laser Blue ( Kent St ) was at 60-61 . Didnt watch Lasers green but they have a thrower going to OSU , shes at about 62-63 . WV girl -Harley Vanatter also Laser Green signed to the MAC ( Akron ??) was about 58-60 with crazy movement. Brianna Mccowan ( Eastern Ky) 58-60 with movement Victoria Decker , Campbellsville Ky 2 time NAIA All American 59-61 .
LOTS are at 58-59 with good movement , but getting a game speed pitcher at 60-62 with movement and can locate means you have a MAC level D1 thrower on your team . So all this jabber about kids being above 60 during the game is hogwash . Occasionally a kid that stays at 57-58 uncorks a rare one at 60 but thats not we should broadcast as " that girl throws 60 "

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

se-alum wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:14 am
SOSoftball wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:24 am
Name?
Preslee Lutz

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

This is the problem. Everyone swears they have a pitcher who throws 6 and has 5 different pitches. When in reality they have one pitcher in the mid 50s who throws five different Fastballs but calls them something else.

Return to “Softball”