2018 SOC 1

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Re: SOC I Standing

Post by SEOhio »

Jms wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:05 am Schaefer pitched against Ironton last night in Notre Dames 2-1 win. Schaefer had 13 strike outs.....Ironton beat Clay.....just saying :)
Nobody is taking anything away from the Schaeffer girl because she is good and only going to get better. We have to remember that she is a sophomore and the Swain girl from Clay is a senior.

"If you don't have anything positive to say, then don't say anything at all"
SoftballGirl
Freshman Team

Post by SoftballGirl »

Jms wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:05 am Schaefer pitched against Ironton last night in Notre Dames 2-1 win. Schaefer had 13 strike outs.....Ironton beat Clay.....just saying :)
Ironton beat Clay...Notre Dame beat Ironton. Not sure what that has to do with anything. Swain didn't pitch against Ironton, she pitched the game before against Coal Grove.

That game was early in the season, 3rd or 4th game of the season. At that point in the season the team was completely different from the end of the season. The shortstop, 2nd Base, 1st Base, Left Fielder, Center Fielder, and Right Fielder were all different from the beginning of the season and now.

Clay...SOC 1 Champions

SoftballGirl
Freshman Team

Post by SoftballGirl »

SEOhio wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:13 am
Nobody is taking anything away from the Schaeffer girl because she is good and only going to get better. We have to remember that she is a sophomore and the Swain girl from Clay is a senior.
Grade shouldn't matter who receives the award. If she is the best player and is a sophomore then she should get it. Its POY not Senior POY. My opinion is that Swain, with her contributions in the circle and at the plate has earned it.

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

SoftballGirl wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:31 am
SEOhio wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:13 am
Grade shouldn't matter who receives the award. If she is the best player and is a sophomore then she should get it. Its POY not Senior POY. My opinion is that Swain, with her contributions in the circle and at the plate has earned it.
Oh I agree that it isn't senior POY but they are both great pitchers but I feel with two more years of experience that she is the better player at this point in the game. The senior and sophomore status in my post was to reference their experience levels.

Jms
Riding the Bench

Post by Jms »

I don't have Schaefer's hitting stats but she leads the team in HR's and I guarantee you it is right up there with Swain. But I didn't know Swain was a senior so if it is even close I support going with Senior.

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

Saw them both in multiple games this year.
BOTH are outstanding players.
But if it's a two horse race I'm going with Schaeffer.
You take Swain off of Clay they still win SOC.
You take Schaeffer off of Notre Dame and they aren't even .500

SoftballGirl
Freshman Team

Post by SoftballGirl »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:57 am Saw them both in multiple games this year.
Swain gets punished cause she is on a good team...lol. I am not sure about winning the SOC with out her. I am sure JMS can back that up also.

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:57 am Saw them both in multiple games this year.
I find it hard to believe that you believe that ND can go from 18-5 to a sub .500 team if you take the one pitcher off the team. I understand that they have a new coach but I couldn't take away that many wins with one girl. They have several good athletes on that team that play multiple sports. I understand that a pitcher can make a team but I also have to disagree with you on this post.

Jms
Riding the Bench

Post by Jms »

Nobody is trying to punish Swain. Just stating facts. And not sure i can back that up but Clay does have 2 solid pitchers who split mound time this year. ND's 2nd pitcher, Isabel Cassidy, freshman, 2nd base, not quite as experienced on the mound and unfortunately did not get to throw in many games this year.

SOQueen
Waterboy

Post by SOQueen »

Swain did have a no-hitter for 6 innings against ND and also threw a no-hitter against Green. She has one loss against her and that was to Coal Grove, 3-1 and two of those runs was unearned. Far as hitting, she’s leading the team in HR’s!
Last edited by SOQueen on Wed May 09, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bravesfan1985
Waterboy

Post by Bravesfan1985 »

It would be nice to see an soc l vs soc ll all star game

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Both young ladies are really good , both led their team to fine seasons , I'm sure their coaches will lobby for their kid when it matters at the awards meeting . For now this thread is getting close to being counterproductive and not what this website is about . I speak from the experience of posting tons of stuff I'd like to have never offered up . So lets stay as positive as humanly possible and remember more than likely things said here have a way of making it back to the players involved .

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Bravesfan1985 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:00 am It would be nice to see an soc l vs soc ll all star game
Not a good idea in my book , in most years , nearly every year , the 2 would handle the 1 with ease . And I was an SOC 1 guy for years and years. The talent pool from the larger schools is just deeper , thats all.

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

SOQueen wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:44 am Swain did have a no-hitter for 6 innings against ND and Schaeffer gave up 8 runs. Swain also threw a no-hitter against Green. How many no-hitters does Schaefer have? Swain has one loss against her and that was to Coal Grove, 3-1 and two of those runs was unearned. If Swain was the only pitcher for Clay, her strike-outs would be 300+. Now when someone asks me who I want on the mound representing SOC 1, I would have to say Swain. Far as hitting, she’s leading the team in HR’s!
Head to head speaks for itself! That is why I say Swain is the POY.

Jms
Riding the Bench

Post by Jms »

I don't have all of Schaefer's stats but i do know she threw a 1 hitter and a 3 hitter against Green. I also know the first game with Clay she had to throw the top of the inning in pouring rain and the game was resumed at bottom of 3 in good weather. But again, since i don't have the stats I don't know how many of those 8 runs were earned and how many were on errors. I also know she has thrown 3, 4 and even 5 games in one week.
As stated earlier I feel that if stats are close you go with the Senior. But this is just my opinion and since i don't get to vote my opinion really doesn't matter :)

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

Ive stated how i look at it. But again after seeing them both play, you take both players off their respective teams. Clay still competes for SOC. Notre Dame is a .500 team and all the talk is about the players the lost.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Another opinion in a long line of opinions , you cant lose to the third place team in the league twice and expect too much .

softballfan
Waterboy

Post by softballfan »

I think you're right...Clay would still compete....and they'll compete next year when Swain is gone. Clay is different than a lot of teams because they have two capable pitchers. It may not be exactly apples to apples but Burg is doing pretty well with Faith Howard gone. Does that mean Faith Howard wasn't an outstanding pitcher? Hopefully the coaches will pick the player they feel had the best year...regardless of anything else.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

SOC1 softball is always good.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

Clay should be good for the next 3 to 4 years without a drop off in pitching. Next year Oliver will step in Swains spot and Lutz will take Oliver’s spot in the rotation. Will still have two really good pitchers until Oliver graduates in 2019. After that season Lutz will be a sophomore and will be ready to take over.

Return to “Softball”