D4 Southeast Draw

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Re: D4 Southeast Draw

Post by SEOhio »

SoftballGirl wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:29 am Clay has been lucky to be able to schedule some good out of Conference games this year.

Waverly (Lost)
Piketon (Won)
Portsmouth West (Won)
Coal Grove (Lost)
Ironton (Lost)
Northwest (2) (Won Both)
Valley(Won)
Jackson (Scheduled 5/4)
Unioto (Scheduled 5/5)
Alexander (Scheduled 5/5)
Wellston (Rained out)
Scheduling these teams only make your team better! Thank you for sharing your strength of schedule. There are other area teams who would be ashamed to post teams that they schedule. It definitely shows what a quality team you have at Clay. How many seniors are you graduating and what positions do they play?

"If you don't have anything positive to say, then don't say anything at all"
SoftballGirl
Freshman Team

Post by SoftballGirl »

There is one senior on the team. She is a pitcher/right fielder.

The 9 starters include

1 Senior
7 Juniors
1 Freshman

SoftballGirl
Freshman Team

Post by SoftballGirl »

There is another good group coming up behind the 7 juniors. There are a few Freshman that doesn't start that could start on most of the area teams this year. Plus the current 8th graders this year that will be coming up is another good group.

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

SEOhio wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:18 am
ColdHardTruth wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:33 am
SEOhio wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 2:14 pm

I am not sure of what teams St. Joe played this year, but they will be in the SOC starting next year so their schedule will change. The problem with St. Joe is that many of the girls right now with a lot of talent end of going to Ironton to play when they get to HS. In baseball, this situation is switched. Their baseball is doing quite well and have several kids that played for Ironton just a year or two ago. We can look at anyone's schedule and see some WEAK teams on their schedule with the exception of a few clubs that play larger schools to prepare for tournament play. I think OHSAA should look at each clubs wins and rank them for tournament play like they do in football. South Webster comes to mind, because they have 2 wins but play in the brutal SOC II. They are better than many in the East and West bracket.
Aside from Burg and Oak Hill (last year) many of those SOC 2 schools Minford, North West, West have had weaker Jr High and Little League programs over the past few years. Usually getting beat regularly by SOC 1 schools.
If that holds up I expect Webster to turn it around quickly. Messer has done a great job with them already.
Definitely South Webster's program is getting better. Their record doesn't reflect that because of playing in the brutal SOC I. I doubt other than ND, Clay, and the hit or miss SV program, that any other SOC I team could play with Minford, Northwest, Oak Hill, Waverly or Wheelersburg. I would like to see the SOC I programs schedule a few of these teams so they can get better but they won't. Many team like to enhance their record by playing small schools that they know their program is lacking from the bottom up, and say we have a winning record when the teams you beat also haven't won many games. It doesn't help these programs when it comes time to play a quality team for the conference or in the tournament.
I agree with you on scheduling these tougher teams to a certain extent. I think once a coach feels his team can compete competently then they need to schedule a few games against tougher opponents.
But, at the same time there's a reason there's two conferences and OHSAA takes numbers for competitve balence. We shouldn't expect a team like St. Joe who has less than 20 girls in the entire SCHOOL 9-12 to be able to compete with the Irontons, Burgs, Oak Hill and so on. And there's several other SOC 1 schools who just don't have the numbers to do it. NO ONE benefits from a 20-0 game that wasn't competitive. So we shouldn't judge these programs (not saying you are) when they choose to schedule similar opponents.

Now when a program from a small school like Clay and up and coming Webster and Green does step out and schedule these bigger schools i think we should tip the cap to their programs for being in a position to give it a try.

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

I completely agree that nobody benefits from a mercy rule game. I also understand why the conferences have a big and small school. You are the one the mention the larger schools such as Minford, West, and Northwest having weaker programs at the younger age and the SOC I schools beating these team regularly (your words). You mention competitive balance and that has nothing to do with scheduling by OHSAA rather than your division in softball which is divided into 4 divisions in softball. Nobody is judging the program but it is the AD or coaches whom are scheduling easier games for wins. If you look at Clay's schedule, they aren't backing down from larger programs like Jackson which they are playing tonight. South Webster has to play in the SOC I and they are getting better. I can't say much about Green other than I know they were mercy ruled by Clay and South Webster.

Bastogne
Freshman Team

Post by Bastogne »

SoftballGirl wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:29 am Clay has been lucky to be able to schedule some good out of Conference games this year.

Waverly (Lost)
Piketon (Won)
Portsmouth West (Won)
Coal Grove (Lost)
Ironton (Lost)
Northwest (2) (Won Both)
Valley(Won)
Jackson (Scheduled 5/4)
Unioto (Scheduled 5/5)
Alexander (Scheduled 5/5)
Wellston (Rained out)
Jackson 11 Clay 14 Panthers (21-4) led 11-3 after 5.

SoftballGirl
Freshman Team

Post by SoftballGirl »

Updated with last two games.

Waverly (Lost)
Piketon (Won)
Portsmouth West (Won)
Coal Grove (Lost)
Ironton (Lost)
Northwest (2) (Won Both)
Valley(Won)
Jackson (Won)
Unioto (Cancelled)
Alexander (Lost)
Wellston (Rained out)

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

It is impressive to see Clay's win at Jackson this weekend! Great job ladies!

titandad
Waterboy

Post by titandad »

ND finishes season 18-5 (11-3)
Out of conference schedule
SOuth Point- win
Rock Hill- win
Manchester -win
Minford- loss by 1
South Webster- win
Northwest- win
Piketon- win
Lewis county- loss by 1
Ironton - win

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

titandad wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 8:30 am ND finishes season 18-5 (11-3)
Out of conference schedule
SOuth Point- win
Rock Hill- win
Manchester -win
Minford- loss by 1
South Webster- win
Northwest- win
Piketon- win
Lewis county- loss by 1
Ironton - win
This out of conference schedule should be goal of every program in the area! Great job ND with your scheduling and will help you if you get out of your tournament bracket to face teams from other areas in tourney play.

Return to “Softball”