8. South Webster
9. South Gallia
10. Miller
11. Federal Hocking

BiddyBallDaddy
Freshman Team

Re: D4 Southeast Draw

Post by BiddyBallDaddy »

Interesting draw results. In the West, what are the records of the top 4?

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

BiddyBallDaddy wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:50 am Interesting draw results. In the West, what are the records of the top 4?
Clay 17-3

Notre Dame 12-2

Peebles 9-4

Manchester 9-4

"If you don't have anything positive to say, then don't say anything at all"
ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

The East is tremendously weak . .. the # 2 seed lost to New Boston ! (according to a friend who reported the score to me )

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:33 am The East is tremendously weak . .. the # 2 seed lost to New Boston ! (according to a friend who reported the score to me )
The #2 team in the East (Symmes Valley) also gave Notre Dame (#2 team in the West) one of their only two losses. Notre Dame and Clay are definitely the teams to watch to come out of this bracket. It have a tough time trying to figure out exactly how they seeded everyone after the top three teams. It definitely doesn't match with their records.

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

Just in case anyone is curious below are the records for each team as shown on the SEODAB website.

West

1. Clay 17-3
2. Notre Dame 12-2
3. Peebles 9-4
4. Manchester 9-4
5. Valley 7-3
6. Glenwood 6-9
7. Green 4-11
8. Western 3-8
9. Paint Valley 4-4
10. St. Joseph 7-2
11. Whiteoak 4-12
12. Sciotoville 1-15

East

1. Eastern Meigs 12-3
2. Symmes Valley 12-5
3. Southern
4. Belpre 7-9
5. Waterford 9-7
6. Eastern Pike 6-11
7. Trimble 5-6
8. South Webster 2-15
9. South Gallia 3-9
10. Miller 1-11
11. Federal Hocking 0-14

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Odd how Clay got in 20 games and others as low as 8 ?? Valley only get in 10 ?

TB12GOAT
Waterboy

Post by TB12GOAT »

Has anyone on here played Southern, can’t find a record or schedule anywhere

SoftballGirl
Freshman Team

Post by SoftballGirl »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:59 pm Odd how Clay got in 20 games and others as low as 8 ?? Valley only get in 10 ?
"Field Maintenance"

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

TB12GOAT wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:02 pm Has anyone on here played Southern, can’t find a record or schedule anywhere

According to the Gallipolis Daily Tribune, Southern's record is 11-5 overall and 10-3 in the TVC.

Superfanofall
Waterboy

Post by Superfanofall »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:59 pm Odd how Clay got in 20 games and others as low as 8 ?? Valley only get in 10 ?
Valley only has 10 girls so to play games with weather below 40 and all the rain they was lucky to get in that many. Played mostly conference games

TB12GOAT
Waterboy

Post by TB12GOAT »

a_c_m wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:01 pm
TB12GOAT wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:02 pm Has anyone on here played Southern, can’t find a record or schedule anywhere

According to the Gallipolis Daily Tribune, Southern's record is 11-5 overall and 10-3 in the TVC.
Thank you

SoftballGirl
Freshman Team

Post by SoftballGirl »

Updated Clay record is 19-4 (10-1) and finishes as SOC 1 Champions.

Games remaining before tournament play starts.

Wednesday - Northwest @ Clay
Friday - Jackson @ Clay
Saturday - Alexander @ Unioto
Saturday - Unioto @ Unioto

Real Time
Freshman Team

Post by Real Time »

SoftballGirl wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:03 pm
"Field Maintenance"
The HC works his butt off to get the games in. He puts in the time on the field so the ladies can do what they love to do!

BiddyBallDaddy
Freshman Team

Post by BiddyBallDaddy »

Not odd at all in my opinion. If it's nice out you have to play. Field maintenance has a large part in playing as well... Too many schools around the area are borderline unplayable if a light sprinkle.

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

I think number of games played only played a small part. I think who you played was another part and how you played against other teams.
I think that's what hurt St. Joe. Yeah, they were 7-2 but 7-2 playing some pretty WEAK talent. They didn't have to go against the Clays and Notre Dames.

The West bracket is by far the more loaded bracket. I don't expect an upset with the 1. Clay or 2. Notre Dame. But, the 3 & 4 anything could happen.

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 12:48 pm I think number of games played only played a small part. I think who you played was another part and how you played against other teams.
I think that's what hurt St. Joe. Yeah, they were 7-2 but 7-2 playing some pretty WEAK talent. They didn't have to go against the Clays and Notre Dames.

The West bracket is by far the more loaded bracket. I don't expect an upset with the 1. Clay or 2. Notre Dame. But, the 3 & 4 anything could happen.
I am not sure of what teams St. Joe played this year, but they will be in the SOC starting next year so their schedule will change. The problem with St. Joe is that many of the girls right now with a lot of talent end of going to Ironton to play when they get to HS. In baseball, this situation is switched. Their baseball is doing quite well and have several kids that played for Ironton just a year or two ago. We can look at anyone's schedule and see some WEAK teams on their schedule with the exception of a few clubs that play larger schools to prepare for tournament play. I think OHSAA should look at each clubs wins and rank them for tournament play like they do in football. South Webster comes to mind, because they have 2 wins but play in the brutal SOC II. They are better than many in the East and West bracket.

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

SEOhio wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 2:14 pm
ColdHardTruth wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 12:48 pm I think number of games played only played a small part. I think who you played was another part and how you played against other teams.

I am not sure of what teams St. Joe played this year, but they will be in the SOC starting next year so their schedule will change. The problem with St. Joe is that many of the girls right now with a lot of talent end of going to Ironton to play when they get to HS. In baseball, this situation is switched. Their baseball is doing quite well and have several kids that played for Ironton just a year or two ago. We can look at anyone's schedule and see some WEAK teams on their schedule with the exception of a few clubs that play larger schools to prepare for tournament play. I think OHSAA should look at each clubs wins and rank them for tournament play like they do in football. South Webster comes to mind, because they have 2 wins but play in the brutal SOC II. They are better than many in the East and West bracket.
Aside from Burg and Oak Hill (last year) many of those SOC 2 schools Minford, North West, West have had weaker Jr High and Little League programs over the past few years. Usually getting beat regularly by SOC 1 schools.
If that holds up I expect Webster to turn it around quickly. Messer has done a great job with them already.

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:33 am
SEOhio wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 2:14 pm

Aside from Burg and Oak Hill (last year) many of those SOC 2 schools Minford, North West, West have had weaker Jr High and Little League programs over the past few years. Usually getting beat regularly by SOC 1 schools.
If that holds up I expect Webster to turn it around quickly. Messer has done a great job with them already.
Definitely South Webster's program is getting better. Their record doesn't reflect that because of playing in the brutal SOC I. I doubt other than ND, Clay, and the hit or miss SV program, that any other SOC I team could play with Minford, Northwest, Oak Hill, Waverly or Wheelersburg. I would like to see the SOC I programs schedule a few of these teams so they can get better but they won't. Many team like to enhance their record by playing small schools that they know their program is lacking from the bottom up, and say we have a winning record when the teams you beat also haven't won many games. It doesn't help these programs when it comes time to play a quality team for the conference or in the tournament.

SoftballGirl
Freshman Team

Post by SoftballGirl »

Clay has been lucky to be able to schedule some good out of Conference games this year.

Waverly (Lost)
Piketon (Won)
Portsmouth West (Won)
Coal Grove (Lost)
Ironton (Lost)
Northwest (2) (Won Both)
Valley(Won)
Jackson (Scheduled 5/4)
Unioto (Scheduled 5/5)
Alexander (Scheduled 5/5)
Wellston (Rained out)

Return to “Softball”