2018 Season Stats

Browns30
JV Team

Re: 2018 Season Stats

Post by Browns30 »

I’m just saying if they are going to pass out awards then best players should get them. Look at Wheelersburg, for example...they are loaded. I’m sure there are a few girls that are better players that got nothing..

SoftballGirl
Freshman Team

Post by SoftballGirl »

I don’t care if you go to School in BFE. If your playing against teams that are in divisions higher than you and they are advancing in the playoffs then that .400 looks a whole hell of a lot better than someone hitting .500 against teams that are in lower divisions than u or bottom feeders.

If you can’t agree with that then there is a reason for it and we all can probably figure out why.

SoftballGirl
Freshman Team

Post by SoftballGirl »

Browns30 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:32 pm I’m just saying if they are going to pass out awards then best players should get them. Look at Wheelersburg, for example...they are loaded. I’m sure there are a few girls that are better players that got nothing..
Have you seen the list yet?

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

Not entirely. I’m talking about what I know from the past. Only a certain number are given to each team depending on where they place in the league.

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

You may have 3 girls who deserve first team awards but only allowed 2. So that leaves out the one player who was also deserving who is probably better than half of the rest of the list. That’s all I was trying to say. Does it matter? No. Does it suck for that kid? I’m sure of it!

SoftballGirl
Freshman Team

Post by SoftballGirl »

Browns30 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 6:02 pm You may have 3 girls who deserve first team awards but only allowed 2. So that leaves out the one player who was also deserving who is probably better than half of the rest of the list. That’s all I was trying to say. Does it matter? No. Does it suck for that kid? I’m sure of it!
That’s why I said above that limiting spots to teams will eliminate deserving players and your statement above is a prime example of that. There is a chance that the third player that missed out is better than others who made it cause that other team gets a spot.

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

Does suck for that kid. Especially if it's a home grown program. Some of these area all star teams where kids have transferred in from all over the county though because they have been brainwashed to thinking if they don't play for a certain program. I don't feel bad for the kid at all.

Right now each team is allowed 4 nominations i think. I promise you the 5th best player at even most the top schools isn't head and shoulders above most these other programs. There's just a belief they are because people belive hype too much.

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

Right, and adults get that it’s not a huge deal but it is discouraging to a kid.

SoftballGirl
Freshman Team

Post by SoftballGirl »

So using burg as an example...you don’t reward a kid for great play and hard work cause she transferred in? That’s crazy.

Or Notre Dame who is a private school. Only reward kids in Portsmouth that go to school at Notre Dame?

I’m done posting until the list is released. I feel like we are debating something without evening knowing anything. Unless I am the only one that doesn’t know who won. Sounds like CHT has some inside information.
Last edited by SoftballGirl on Thu May 24, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 6:29 pm Does suck for that kid. Especially if it's a home grown program. Some of these area all star teams where kids have transferred in from all over the county though because they have been brainwashed to thinking if they don't play for a certain program. I don't feel bad for the kid at all.

Right now each team is allowed 4 nominations i think. I promise you the 5th best player at even most the top schools isn't head and shoulders above most these other programs. There's just a belief they are because people belive hype too much.
I was talking about conference awards but same goes for districts. I think you are right to an extent but I do know there are still deserving kids that get left off even if nominated by the coach, a lot of it has to do with which conference awards they got or the order they were listed in. Maybe even underclassemen get left out? I know kids that didn’t make the district team that I know there was no way there were 18 other players in the district better than them.

That’s why I asked in an earlier post if they even looked at stats?

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

some do look at stats but I have been there and i remember a time when i pushed for a senior to get votes, wasnt our best player but at the time i felt she deserved it since she was a senior. thinking about it now, man that wasnt the right thing to do.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Good post Capt' -- your contributions to the softball board are appreciated .

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

I completely disagree that a certain team should be limited to a certain amount of players because they had a better team than another. The conference and district awards should be looked at each position to find the 1st and 2nd best player in the conference or district. I can see where a player or two from each team should have an honorable mention if they have made an impression on the teams that they played against. I believe a coach should not be able to vote on his own players and even saying his own kid in many of the area teams. We are seeing more and more coaches in the HS level that has a kid on the team which shouldn't be happening at this level. Many of the teams that are winning have hired outside of their community so the best players are being played at each position. As to the transfer issue or having a county all-star team, there are kids transferring to other programs and they are finding themselves not playing most of the time because they aren't as good as the position player already there. These teams are good for a reason and it starts at the little league level that is building the programs from the ground up. The stats can not be trusted because they are being scored usually by a parent who is keeping the book. I also agree with Softballgirl because the level of competition makes a difference with pitching and batting stats. If a team is playing good teams and facing good pitching day in and out, it speaks words if the girl has great stats. I know many teams score 20 or more runs against some of the area teams who struggle and the player could have a three hit or more game against a player who wouldn't be pitching for a team of better athletic ability. Even the fielding stats are unfair because some kids get to play a position every day for one reason or another while others rotate or even doesn't play to help the stats of others. Society today will do anything and everything to make their kid look the best no matter what. It will be interesting when conference and district awards are announced. We will be able to look in-depth at who wins and I am sure there will be a thread to discuss the last names of some of the kids and their connection to the team. I'll have my popcorn ready! :)

"If you don't have anything positive to say, then don't say anything at all"
SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

KSW wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:29 pm My daughter's school has multiple coaches, most are volunteers. None have a daughter on the team. One of the coaches keeps the stats all year long. No stats are released until the team is out of the tourney or the spring banquet, which ever comes last. But, like anything else some things are subjective.
What was your team's record for this year? I like how professionally the school district is having multiple coaches without connections. These teams are usually quite successful.

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 6:29 pm Does suck for that kid. Especially if it's a home grown program. Some of these area all star teams where kids have transferred in from all over the county though because they have been brainwashed to thinking if they don't play for a certain program. I don't feel bad for the kid at all.

Most of these area teams from the area are home grown programs even with some transfers. Don't you have kids that come to your school that didn't start there in Kindergarten and plays on any of the teams your school offers. The new rules on transferring go in effect in August so that will stop some of the transferring in HS. They will just do it earlier now like they hold kids back in elementary now instead of MS like it use to happen. Don't hate the successful teams because they want the W and not just an award for being on the team.

KSW
Riding the Bench

Post by KSW »

SEOhio wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:11 am
KSW wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:29 pm My daughter's school has multiple coaches, most are volunteers. None have a daughter on the team. One of the coaches keeps the stats all year long. No stats are released until the team is out of the tourney or the spring banquet, which ever comes last. But, like anything else some things are subjective.
What was your team's record for this year? I like how professionally the school district is having multiple coaches without connections. These teams are usually quite successful.
Something like 19-4, they made it to the regional semi and lost 3-2. Its a good program, best kids play. They have won their district 4 straight years, and regional final twice. Just haven't been able to get past regionals.

Return to “Softball”