2018 Season Stats

ManitouDan2
SE

Re: 2018 Season Stats

Post by ManitouDan2 »

" Boy that Suzie girl sure can catch those strike outs , she should be Defensive POY ".. I know sarcasm doesn't translate well to the net , but YES I'm being sarcastic . If a coach brings up putouts as a stat in arguing for a player to get recognition then they actually have no business being in the conversation. At least a Catcher or 1B .

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:12 pm " Boy that Suzie girl sure can catch those strike outs , she should be Defensive POY ".. I know sarcasm doesn't translate well to the net , but YES I'm being sarcastic . If a coach brings up putouts as a stat in arguing for a player to get recognition then they actually have no business being in the conversation. At least a Catcher or 1B .
Agreed

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

From what I gather, the player with the best stats might not even get votes...a lot of times it's just a popularity contest or given to upperclassmen. Unfortunate for the ones who work their butt off.

Softballdad
Riding the Bench

Post by Softballdad »

Where do you gather the person with the best stats won't get any votes? I would imagine whoever you are talking about that her coach would put her up for votes. And where do you gather your information to know who has the best stats?

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

I think there probably is some politics that go on but ultimately MOST the time the deserving player gets recognized.

Here is a thought though.
We were talking about put outs/assists. I know with a catcher and first baseman the put outs are a little misleading. But shouldn't a great defensive fielder deserve some recognition and consideration even if they don't have the .400 average to go with it? I'm talking 50+ assists in a year and a fielding percentage over .950 type of stuff. If not aren't we only rewaarding players for being hitters or great pitchers?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I have little use for put out numbers

It doesn’t take a ton of viewings to know who is better

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

I agree on put out. But shouldn't assists carry weight?

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

Softballdad wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:28 pm Where do you gather the person with the best stats won't get any votes? I would imagine whoever you are talking about that her coach would put her up for votes. And where do you gather your information to know who has the best stats?
It’s pretty obvious on most teams who has the best stats without looking at the book. I know it happened last year for sure and no it was not my daughter, she was in jr high last year.

Softballdad
Riding the Bench

Post by Softballdad »

Ok. You were meaning the best stats for your team. Sorry! I thought you meant the girl with the best stats in whole league wouldn't get rewarded. I understand what you mean. You know who has the best stats by watching. Some may surprise you but not usually at the top of stats.

Softballdad
Riding the Bench

Post by Softballdad »

It's not the best 10 girls or whatever that make first team. It's just where you finish is how many you get on each team. It is what it is. Not that it's fair but it happens every year. Everyone gets a kid on first team & second team. Seen kids make 2nd team conference & 1st team district.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:31 pm I agree on put out. But shouldn't assists carry weight?
I’ve sat in 4 all league meetings and 4 all-District meetings....it’s slimy in there. Not sure I ever left one not shaking my head

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:32 pm
ManitouDan2 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:12 pm " Boy that Suzie girl sure can catch those strike outs , she should be Defensive POY ".. I know sarcasm doesn't translate well to the net , but YES I'm being sarcastic . If a coach brings up putouts as a stat in arguing for a player to get recognition then they actually have no business being in the conversation. At least a Catcher or 1B .
Agreed
You actually go from agreeing that if a coach brings up a output as a stat in arguing for a player to get recognition then they actually shouldn’t be a conversation to trying to make a case for a player using the same stats as you said shouldn’t be. You also right away dismiss the catcher and 1st baseman which is entirely wrong. If you dismiss them, how can you justify attempting the infielders versus the outfielders. Clearly the infielder would have more opportunities unless they get equal time in both the infield and outfield. Clearly you are eliminating positions so that a certain player on the team wins the award. You eliminated it down to just a possibility of three players on the field winning the award which is totally unfair. With the way things go, I am sure it is someone’s kid who either has a name associated well in the community or has a coach as her mother or father. Is the fielding attempts/put out award from the conference or some made up award created this year for certain players? I guess time will tell with what awards you give.

"If you don't have anything positive to say, then don't say anything at all"
ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

SEOhio wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:50 pm
Agreed
You actually go from agreeing that if a coach brings up a output as a stat in arguing for a player to get recognition then they actually shouldn’t be a conversation to trying to make a case for a player using the same stats as you said shouldn’t be. You also right away dismiss the catcher and 1st baseman which is entirely wrong. If you dismiss them, how can you justify attempting the infielders versus the outfielders. Clearly the infielder would have more opportunities unless they get equal time in both the infield and outfield. Clearly you are eliminating positions so that a certain player on the team wins the award. You eliminated it down to just a possibility of three players on the field winning the award which is totally unfair. With the way things go, I am sure it is someone’s kid who either has a name associated well in the community or has a coach as her mother or father. Is the fielding attempts/put out award from the conference or some made up award created this year for certain players? I guess time will tell with what awards you give.
I have no say in anything. I'm just playing devils advocate and questioning things after i thought about it. Glad you're my number one fan though.

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 4:07 am

Agreed
I have no say in anything. I'm just playing devils advocate and questioning things after i thought about it. Glad you're my number one fan though.
It is definitely concerning if you aren’t giving us the “Cold Hard Truth” that you aren’t a coach and you are just a parent having access to know the entire team’s stats about their fielding attempts and put outs. You were making judgement calls about other kids on your team to not include a catcher or 1st baseman in your stats. It just proves the point about the accuracy of your team’s stats. IF you are a parent and keeping track of those stats at your coaching chair in the stands, you need to just enjoy the game while the team does their very best to get the W. You just want to single kids out because you need your kid to get that pat on the back for these types of awards that they won’t get in the real world.

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

Agreed
I get told that I am other driver’s #1 fan when I’m driving sometimes too. :lol:

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

SEOhio wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:07 am

I get told that I am other driver’s #1 fan when I’m driving sometimes too. :lol:
Sorry to disappoint you lol.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

Postseason awards are absolutely useless. They translate into nothing 99.9% of the time. If a kid is worrying about stats to earn an INDIVIDUAL award, then they are playing for the wrong reasons. If a parent is bent out of shape over stats and INDIVIDUAL awards, then you need to take a step back and remember it is a team sport. The only STAT that means anything, is the Win and Loss column on the stat sheet for the team.

No I am not a coach, no I am not a parent. Once upon of time I won several of these postseason awards and can tell you first hand, they do not help you later in life. You want to go play college ball, they look at stats, and they will look at what you do in person. They will look to see if you were on successful teams and if you come from a winning culture.

In all honesty, in today's society of giving everyone a dang trophy, I can not believe they even allow individual awards. Sadly, I don't blame the kids, I blame the idiotic parents who are trying to relive their glory years through their kids.

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

Fonzie wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:59 pm Postseason awards are absolutely useless. They translate into nothing 99.9% of the time. If a kid is worrying about stats to earn an INDIVIDUAL award, then they are playing for the wrong reasons. If a parent is bent out of shape over stats and INDIVIDUAL awards, then you need to take a step back and remember it is a team sport. The only STAT that means anything, is the Win and Loss column on the stat sheet for the team.

No I am not a coach, no I am not a parent. Once upon of time I won several of these postseason awards and can tell you first hand, they do not help you later in life. You want to go play college ball, they look at stats, and they will look at what you do in person. They will look to see if you were on successful teams and if you come from a winning culture.

In all honesty, in today's society of giving everyone a dang trophy, I can not believe they even allow individual awards. Sadly, I don't blame the kids, I blame the idiotic parents who are trying to relive their glory years through their kids.
Very well said. But let me ask you this, and before that troll jumps into my conversation again. Understand I'm asking as your opinion as a former player.

Did you not accept the award and enjoy the recognition às a teenager player? No kid should ever play just for a reward and it means nothing, your correct. But, so does Prom and people still dump $$$$$ into it every year.
Now that you're an adult you're mature enough to understand the award. But as a player was it something you looked forward to?

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

Fonzie wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:59 pm Postseason awards are absolutely useless. They translate into nothing 99.9% of the time. If a kid is worrying about stats to earn an INDIVIDUAL award, then they are playing for the wrong reasons. If a parent is bent out of shape over stats and INDIVIDUAL awards, then you need to take a step back and remember it is a team sport. The only STAT that means anything, is the Win and Loss column on the stat sheet for the team.

Amen! I totally agree with your post!

Gopher
Varsity

Post by Gopher »

I have posted this before and it seems very fitting once again.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/video/1819195 ... n-trophies

Return to “Softball”