2018 Season Stats

Gopher
Varsity

Re: 2018 Season Stats

Post by Gopher »

I understand how it is scored, been around this a while. That was not the point.

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

Gopher wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:42 pm I understand how it is scored, been around this a while. That was not the point.
Then your previous comment makes no sense. You said, "guess who got credit for the put outs? LOL". Not sure why you put "LOL" if its something you know. She got credited with the putouts cause that is who gets credited. You are acting like something was fishy that the catcher was credited.
Last edited by SOSoftball on Wed May 09, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Browns30 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:05 pm I mean what if team A is stacked with deserving players and say team B is very weak, I'm sure there are better players on team A who won't get anything while not as good players from Team B will?
At least in the SOC, the order of finish determines how many spots you get. For example, I think Burg will get 5 total spots, 3 first team and 2 second team and it goes down from there. Makes it very tough because, as you mentioned, I would guess Burg's starters who will get no SOC award are likely better players than several who will get awards from other teams.

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:37 pm
SOSoftball wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:53 am
Gopher wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:39 am Spot on SEOhio !

I remember a few years back a catcher got the "Defensive POY" team award because she led the team in put outs. It just so happened that the team's pitcher had over 250 Ks that year and guess who got credit for the put outs? LOL Got to make everyone feel good about themselves.
If your are scoring correctly the catcher does get credited with the putout, not the pitcher.
Yes. That is correct, the catcher is credited with the putout, because he or she has completed the out. If, the catcher drops the third strike, and throws the batter out at first, the catcher is credited with an assist and the first baseman is credited with the putout. Strikeouts are a separate category and whether the strikeout is completed by the catcher or the first baseman, or neither, the batter is safe, the pitcher is still credited with the strikeout.
Why are HS teams keeping track of putouts anyhow other than how the out occurs. It just seems really stupid to argue about who gets the putout on a strike out in HS. Does the catcher get scored an error when it is a passed ball or when they drop the third strike and don't get the out at first? I know there are gold glove awards in MLB that accounts for but these are kids without an official scorekeeper determining if a bad hop is an error or just a good effort. Stats are definitely manipulated when coaches or parents keeping the book determines these types of things.

"If you don't have anything positive to say, then don't say anything at all"
Gopher
Varsity

Post by Gopher »

Thanks SEOhio for getting my point. The only reason it became important was to spread the awards for that feel good moment. Just like an offensive award going to the player with the most "quality ABs" instead of highest BA or Slg %.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

" Boy that Suzie girl sure can catch those strike outs , she should be Defensive POY ".. I know sarcasm doesn't translate well to the net , but YES I'm being sarcastic . If a coach brings up putouts as a stat in arguing for a player to get recognition then they actually have no business being in the conversation. At least a Catcher or 1B .

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:12 pm " Boy that Suzie girl sure can catch those strike outs , she should be Defensive POY ".. I know sarcasm doesn't translate well to the net , but YES I'm being sarcastic . If a coach brings up putouts as a stat in arguing for a player to get recognition then they actually have no business being in the conversation. At least a Catcher or 1B .
Agreed

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

From what I gather, the player with the best stats might not even get votes...a lot of times it's just a popularity contest or given to upperclassmen. Unfortunate for the ones who work their butt off.

Softballdad
Riding the Bench

Post by Softballdad »

Where do you gather the person with the best stats won't get any votes? I would imagine whoever you are talking about that her coach would put her up for votes. And where do you gather your information to know who has the best stats?

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

I think there probably is some politics that go on but ultimately MOST the time the deserving player gets recognized.

Here is a thought though.
We were talking about put outs/assists. I know with a catcher and first baseman the put outs are a little misleading. But shouldn't a great defensive fielder deserve some recognition and consideration even if they don't have the .400 average to go with it? I'm talking 50+ assists in a year and a fielding percentage over .950 type of stuff. If not aren't we only rewaarding players for being hitters or great pitchers?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I have little use for put out numbers

It doesn’t take a ton of viewings to know who is better

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

I agree on put out. But shouldn't assists carry weight?

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

Softballdad wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:28 pm Where do you gather the person with the best stats won't get any votes? I would imagine whoever you are talking about that her coach would put her up for votes. And where do you gather your information to know who has the best stats?
It’s pretty obvious on most teams who has the best stats without looking at the book. I know it happened last year for sure and no it was not my daughter, she was in jr high last year.

Softballdad
Riding the Bench

Post by Softballdad »

Ok. You were meaning the best stats for your team. Sorry! I thought you meant the girl with the best stats in whole league wouldn't get rewarded. I understand what you mean. You know who has the best stats by watching. Some may surprise you but not usually at the top of stats.

Softballdad
Riding the Bench

Post by Softballdad »

It's not the best 10 girls or whatever that make first team. It's just where you finish is how many you get on each team. It is what it is. Not that it's fair but it happens every year. Everyone gets a kid on first team & second team. Seen kids make 2nd team conference & 1st team district.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:31 pm I agree on put out. But shouldn't assists carry weight?
I’ve sat in 4 all league meetings and 4 all-District meetings....it’s slimy in there. Not sure I ever left one not shaking my head

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:32 pm
ManitouDan2 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:12 pm " Boy that Suzie girl sure can catch those strike outs , she should be Defensive POY ".. I know sarcasm doesn't translate well to the net , but YES I'm being sarcastic . If a coach brings up putouts as a stat in arguing for a player to get recognition then they actually have no business being in the conversation. At least a Catcher or 1B .
Agreed
You actually go from agreeing that if a coach brings up a output as a stat in arguing for a player to get recognition then they actually shouldn’t be a conversation to trying to make a case for a player using the same stats as you said shouldn’t be. You also right away dismiss the catcher and 1st baseman which is entirely wrong. If you dismiss them, how can you justify attempting the infielders versus the outfielders. Clearly the infielder would have more opportunities unless they get equal time in both the infield and outfield. Clearly you are eliminating positions so that a certain player on the team wins the award. You eliminated it down to just a possibility of three players on the field winning the award which is totally unfair. With the way things go, I am sure it is someone’s kid who either has a name associated well in the community or has a coach as her mother or father. Is the fielding attempts/put out award from the conference or some made up award created this year for certain players? I guess time will tell with what awards you give.

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

SEOhio wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:50 pm
Agreed
You actually go from agreeing that if a coach brings up a output as a stat in arguing for a player to get recognition then they actually shouldn’t be a conversation to trying to make a case for a player using the same stats as you said shouldn’t be. You also right away dismiss the catcher and 1st baseman which is entirely wrong. If you dismiss them, how can you justify attempting the infielders versus the outfielders. Clearly the infielder would have more opportunities unless they get equal time in both the infield and outfield. Clearly you are eliminating positions so that a certain player on the team wins the award. You eliminated it down to just a possibility of three players on the field winning the award which is totally unfair. With the way things go, I am sure it is someone’s kid who either has a name associated well in the community or has a coach as her mother or father. Is the fielding attempts/put out award from the conference or some made up award created this year for certain players? I guess time will tell with what awards you give.
I have no say in anything. I'm just playing devils advocate and questioning things after i thought about it. Glad you're my number one fan though.

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 4:07 am

Agreed
I have no say in anything. I'm just playing devils advocate and questioning things after i thought about it. Glad you're my number one fan though.
It is definitely concerning if you aren’t giving us the “Cold Hard Truth” that you aren’t a coach and you are just a parent having access to know the entire team’s stats about their fielding attempts and put outs. You were making judgement calls about other kids on your team to not include a catcher or 1st baseman in your stats. It just proves the point about the accuracy of your team’s stats. IF you are a parent and keeping track of those stats at your coaching chair in the stands, you need to just enjoy the game while the team does their very best to get the W. You just want to single kids out because you need your kid to get that pat on the back for these types of awards that they won’t get in the real world.

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 4:07 am

Agreed
I get told that I am other driver’s #1 fan when I’m driving sometimes too. :lol:

Return to “Softball”