2018 Season Stats

SoftballGirl
Freshman Team

Re: 2018 Season Stats

Post by SoftballGirl »

Can’t wait. Need some good reading material.

SoftballGirl
Freshman Team

Post by SoftballGirl »

When will awards be released?

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

With the boys being released today I'd think tomorrow .

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:36 am Few names of post season stuff got leaked out last night.. On page 1 of this thread I told you some of you are in for a rude awakening . It looks like they drew names out of a hat for some stuff . And I've got zero connection to anyone or any team . But again some girls who clearly , head and shoulders , clearly had better seasons than the award winners got left out . I know it cant be perfect , but it also shouldn't be horribly screwed up . Will make for good message board stuff for sure .
For sure!! Do some coaches not even pay attention to who they are voting for? I mean, what do they base it on if not stats?

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

I said it once I'll say it again " you vote for mine I'll vote for your's" And there are fine , fine people coaching some of these teams but as a group I think they might want to consider a public vote so the " deal cutters " can be exposed . And hold the vote when all coaches can be present and can argue/support their players .
and I know some say " cant you just happy for those that got it " ? Well think about the kid whose hard work , dedication , and more importantly on the field performance doesnt get rewarded . There will be obvious " you have to joking" type selections where stats and wins/losses were evidently thrown out the window . ( rant over )

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:54 pm I said it once I'll say it again " you vote for mine I'll vote for your's" And there are fine , fine people coaching some of these teams but as a group I think they might want to consider a public vote so the " deal cutters " can be exposed . And hold the vote when all coaches can be present and can argue/support their players .
and I know some say " cant you just happy for those that got it " ? Well think about the kid whose hard work , dedication , and more importantly on the field performance doesnt get rewarded . There will be obvious " you have to joking" type selections where stats and wins/losses were evidently thrown out the window . ( rant over )
I agree. What are we saying to these kids whose "hard work , dedication , and more importantly on the field performance doesnt get rewarded"? Work your butt off or don't because it doesnt matter anyways?

SoftballGirl
Freshman Team

Post by SoftballGirl »

Browns30 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:34 pm
ManitouDan2 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:54 pm I said it once I'll say it again " you vote for mine I'll vote for your's" And there are fine , fine people coaching some of these teams but as a group I think they might want to consider a public vote so the " deal cutters " can be exposed . And hold the vote when all coaches can be present and can argue/support their players .
I agree. What are we saying to these kids whose "hard work , dedication , and more importantly on the field performance doesnt get rewarded"? Work your butt off or don't because it doesnt matter anyways?
Trust me I understand your frustration but I don’t believe a girl is working her butt off to get a conference or district award. If a kid quits working hard because they didn’t receive a conference or district award then they are in it for the wrong reasons.

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

SoftballGirl wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:48 pm
Trust me I understand your frustration but I don’t believe a girl is working her butt off to get a conference or district award. If a kid quits working hard because they didn’t receive a conference or district award then they are in it for the wrong reasons.

Oh I agree 100%!!! I feel like a lot of players AND coaches get too carried away with individual awards or accomplishments that they forget about TEAMWORK!

SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

Browns30 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:23 pm
ManitouDan2 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:36 am Few names of post season stuff got leaked out last night.. On page 1 of this thread I told you some of you are in for a rude awakening . It looks like they drew names out of a hat for some stuff . And I've got zero connection to anyone or any team . But again some girls who clearly , head and shoulders , clearly had better seasons than the award winners got left out . I know it cant be perfect , but it also shouldn't be horribly screwed up . Will make for good message board stuff for sure .
For sure!! Do some coaches not even pay attention to who they are voting for? I mean, what do they base it on if not stats?
Yeah, they pay attention to who they are voting for because they have "water cooler" talk and talk people into voting for certain people for a variety of reasons either personal or by name. It is always interesting seeing who gets the awards and their connections to the school or even one of the coaches on staff. I realize everyone wants their child to be recognized and think they are one of the best when they really aren't. Like I was told a week or so by the college softball coach, they can tell by watching themself if they are worthy of being recruited. I am sure the parents or coaches will come up with excuses of why they are giving the awards unfairly, but it will all come to an end when they are a senior and walking across at graduation with no athletic scholarship in hand. That is where the disappointment will be found and that is truly unfair for that kid because it could have been stopped when they were a freshman, sophomore, or junior and receiving all-conference awards when they didn't deserve it. At least they have the newspaper clipping so they can relive the glory years later in life like their parents are doing now.

"If you don't have anything positive to say, then don't say anything at all"
SEOhio
Freshman Team

Post by SEOhio »

Browns30 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:53 pm
SoftballGirl wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:48 pm

Oh I agree 100%!!! I feel like a lot of players AND coaches get too carried away with individual awards or accomplishments that they forget about TEAMWORK!
These individual awards are like participation trophies and they find ways to give one to everyone. Some just get larger ones than others based on so-called information from games likes stats that are being judged by a parent who is keeping the book or even a coach who may have a child on the team along showing favoritism for their kid's friends. Good programs aim for the ultimate goal of the W in the book and playing the best at every position without the I in the TEAM.

"If you don't have anything positive to say, then don't say anything at all"
Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

"Good programs aim for the ultimate goal of the W in the book and playing the best at every position without the I in the TEAM."

YES!!!!!

KSW
Riding the Bench

Post by KSW »

My daughter's school has multiple coaches, most are volunteers. None have a daughter on the team. One of the coaches keeps the stats all year long. No stats are released until the team is out of the tourney or the spring banquet, which ever comes last. But, like anything else some things are subjective.

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

The nature of this thread is really confusing. For a couple of you who have mentioned not caring about awards and how much they don't matter it seems like you're all over this thread and caring about who is getting what awards.

Anyway, on to the discussion. I'm positive the water cooler talks happen. I'm also positive coaches exaggerate stats and don't report them the proper way. I was under the impression all stats were somehow verified. I saw one coach claim a girl was hitting .700 in another thread. That's funny cause she went 1-7 in the games i watched her. She must have been lights out every other game.
But, from what ive seen who the heck are we to decide who is deserving. I've only watched a handful of non soc games. Some of you probably haven't watched any SOC games. So who are we to say the best players are or are we just going off of names and what program they play for.
I'm positive the coaches system is flawed. But because it is voted on by coaches I'm also positive coaches will vote for kids they have seen play and know are legit instead of just word of mouth.

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

I don't find it a bit confusing. We all know there are kids who are deserving that get bumped by a coaches kid, their favorite player or someone with some type of connection to the school. I coached years ago, I have been to the meetings, its not always coaches voting for who they have seen or believe are the best. Most of it is, vote for mine and ill vote for yours. And just because some mention not caring about awards, it still doesn't make it right that the wrong person gets it, does it? weather they care or not?

SoftballGirl
Freshman Team

Post by SoftballGirl »

Limiting spots by team eliminates deserving players also. With the number of very good players on some teams some players will be left off while other others will receive an award who probably wouldn’t be able to start on those teams.

Might get reamed for that statement but it’s the truth.

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

You have to limit spots by teams though if not kids believe they have to go to a certain school to succeed.
We all now a school around us somewhere that kids believe they have to attend to succeed.
The easy answer is people start calling them out on it. I heard of a local coach who it might have cost him his job last year and i think that's exactly right.

Does a .400 hitter at Notre Dame deserve an award more than a .400 hitter at New Boston? Absolutely not but everyone will believe it because of record. When the truth is a couple of these schools around here NONE of their players other than their STUD pitchers deserve an award.
A fielder at a couple of these schools with dominate pitchers had some pretty easy days compared to a school where the pitchers weren't as dominate and the fielder had to make several plays.

SoftballGirl
Freshman Team

Post by SoftballGirl »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:48 pm Does a .400 hitter at Notre Dame deserve an award more than a .400 hitter at New Boston? Absolutely not
Yes I believe it makes a difference. Not necessarily the school they play for but the competition they play. If someone is hitting .400 for a team that plays tough competition all year compared to someone hitting .400 who doesn’t play as tough a competition I think it makes a difference. If new Boston plays the same competition that Notre Dame did then there is no difference.

SoftballGirl
Freshman Team

Post by SoftballGirl »

Same for a pitcher also. Someone that throws an ERA of 1.50 is not the same as someone that throws 2.50 against tougher competition.

Stats will look good for the pitcher against weaker competition but is she truly the better pitcher?

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

SoftballGirl wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:08 pm Same for a pitcher also. Someone that throws an ERA of 1.50 is not the same as someone that throws 2.50 against tougher competition.

Stats will look good for the pitcher against weaker competition but is she truly the better pitcher?
If they are both hitting .400, played equal competition then the tie breaker should be defense. A player who hardly fielded a ball because her pitcher struck out 10 game isn't the same as one who had to make several plays a game
And New Boston and Notre Dame don't factor i jusy used them as an example sorry

SoftballGirl
Freshman Team

Post by SoftballGirl »

I said above if competition is equal or close to equal then it doesn’t matter. But in your example it does matter. At least it does this year.

Return to “Softball”